Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Extra Baggage allowance for OneWorld Emeralds

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Hi All,

Flying off in Economy this weekend and noticed that the standard baggage allowance is 20kg. Do I get an extra 20kg automatically by showing my QF Plat at the check-in desk? This is my first time flying Economy on CX. The standard allowance on QF is 30kg.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by morioka74
Hi All,

Flying off in Economy this weekend and noticed that the standard baggage allowance is 20kg. Do I get an extra 20kg automatically by showing my QF Plat at the check-in desk? This is my first time flying Economy on CX. The standard allowance on QF is 30kg.

Thanks in advance.
yes. 20kg extra as of OW rules - make sure if you pack >32kg you need 2 bags tho.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by morioka74
Hi All,

Thanks in advance.
As per OW rules - http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/emerald-...FF939E65408FE8

You really don't need to ask this everytime you fly on a OW airline. CX would know what to do at the airport with EMD members. The same however can't be said with QF - even with their 30kg allowance. I was on a flight between SYD and MEL, and had basically 1 bag at 32kg and the Business Class check in agent (I was flying economy) didn't know OW Emerald rules. She rang around and couldn't get anyone to confirm this. In the end, she said that she would allow me 'this one time'.

So that's QF for you!

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Jun 9, 2014 at 11:21 am
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks! Kaka and Guy Betsy.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 4:18 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Well cx bkk or kix also told fumitani owe doesnt get extras until he told ga to check w supervisors
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
Same problem at LAX. Was told that we are "letting it go" as a "courtesy this time" which really riled me. I pulled out my iphone and showed the supervisor the OWE benefits on oneworld.com and told them that they really need to train their staff on a benefit that has been published since March 2013 when MH joined.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by avm2806
Same problem at LAX. Was told that we are "letting it go" as a "courtesy this time" which really riled me. I pulled out my iphone and showed the supervisor the OWE benefits on oneworld.com and told them that they really need to train their staff on a benefit that has been published since March 2013 when MH joined.
But this is about CX ??
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:52 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
But this is about CX ??
avm2806 is just pointing out that the baggage allowances changed when MH joined, but the incident was at a CX checkin desk.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:02 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Take a copy of the OW rules with you. It can save so much hassle, at check-in and at lounges.

Last edited by IanFromHKG; Jun 14, 2014 at 11:33 pm
Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Usually with CX agents at HKG, it goes without saying that they apply the applicable benefits.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the interesting feedback. I am flying SYD-HKG-HND this weekend. Looking forward to a positive experience.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 5:14 am
Suspended

I was checking about this on Iberia, so if I fly on CX I can also have extra bag up to 20kg or is it 23 kg. I have been searching this week on FT a lot about this and it seems a lot of check in agents do not know the rules. When I check BA forum it seems 23 kg with them so thought I should ask about what happens with Cathay
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

My experience was positive at SYD. Checked-in two pieces without any questions asked. Sitting in the Bridge at HKG now.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 12:15 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by juaninspain
I was checking about this on Iberia, so if I fly on CX I can also have extra bag up to 20kg or is it 23 kg. I have been searching this week on FT a lot about this and it seems a lot of check in agents do not know the rules. When I check BA forum it seems 23 kg with them so thought I should ask about what happens with Cathay
It is one bag (per-piece allowance) or 20kg (weight allowance)

http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/emerald-privileges

These allowances don't usually show up on BA.com which will only show the basic allowance, not the additional emerald allowance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.