Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

two questions and an observation about lounge crowding..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

two questions and an observation about lounge crowding..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2013, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by JALPak
Maybe you can add DM+, DM Invitation and VIPs to the list, but adding all the DMs will just be too much people.
No offense, but until someone actually shows me #s I'm highly suspicious that it's heaps and heaps of DMs filling up the F lounge. I have spent more than enough time flying CX to know my own patterns as a DM (I don't even use the F lounge half the time, see my post above), my DM colleagues/friends patterns as well (ditto), and have seen enough BPs in the lounges that I question the conventional wisdom that it's just scores of DMs filling the place up. I don't think it is. I'd also be willing to bet the average DM is less of a burden on the resources in there....I know I often don't take more than a bottled water or soda. I've been in there so many times I just use it for the bare essentials when I do. There is definitely no "wow!" factor anymore. I am absolutely a bigger drain on lounges at partner outports where I visit less frequent, and I wonder if others are the same way. Hence that's why I'm keen for the following guest data in the F lounge:

By %
1.) CX metal F pax
2.) OW metal F pax
3.) Non-F DM
4.) Non-F OWE
5.) Guests (of anyone)
6.) Sneak-ins
7.) Others (special invitations, passes, etc.)

FWIW, my last time in Wing F was a few weeks ago (to my point in a previous post, on my most recent flight I skipped Wing F and went to the Cabin instead). I exited through the J lounge. As I exited, I watched a family of FOUR waiting near the Atrium/F connection, who proceed to stroll in the F lounge as I walked by. Clearly saw both adult BPs - J class seats, no status. So unless their kids (<5 years old) were DM or OWE, they were lounge crashing. As I'm pretty sure I've seen this quite a few times at the new Wing F.

Last edited by QRC3288; Nov 3, 2013 at 4:23 am Reason: added most recent flight
Old Nov 3, 2013, 4:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by QRC3288
No offense, but until someone actually shows me #s I'm highly suspicious that it's heaps and heaps of DMs filling up the F lounge. I have spent more than enough time flying CX to know my own patterns as a DM (I don't even use the F lounge half the time, see my post above), my DM colleagues/friends patterns as well (ditto), and have seen enough BPs in the lounges that I question the conventional wisdom that it's just scores of DMs filling the place up. I don't think it is. I'd also be willing to bet the average DM is less of a burden on the resources in there....I know I often don't take more than a bottled water or soda. I've been in there so many times I just use it for the bare essentials when I do. There is definitely no "wow!" factor anymore. I am absolutely a bigger drain on lounges at partner outports where I visit less frequent, and I wonder if others are the same way. Hence that's why I'm keen for the following guest data in the F lounge:

By %
1.) CX metal F pax
2.) OW metal F pax
3.) Non-F DM
4.) Non-F OWE
5.) Guests (of anyone)
6.) Sneak-ins
7.) Others (special invitations, passes, etc.)
Unfortunately I think category 6 is possible now whereas before there is an agent there guarding the access way
Old Nov 3, 2013, 4:55 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I wonder why there is such an oversight in not guarding the F lounge back entrance. Although this is mute now since the Atrium is also part of the F lounge temporarily, I think all DMs should write to CX and tell them they keep seeing people wandering into the F lounge.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 5:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sxc
I wonder why there is such an oversight in not guarding the F lounge back entrance. Although this is mute now since the Atrium is also part of the F lounge temporarily, I think all DMs should write to CX and tell them they keep seeing people wandering into the F lounge.
I think there must be some fire thing so that they can't build a door or something there. As to why no person there - prob costs as the agents r now at the main entrance
Old Nov 3, 2013, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by correctioncx
As to why no person there - prob costs as the agents r now at the main entrance
...yea, more the reason I hope the Atrium permanently stays part of the Wing F. The agents are naturally positioned there for the J lounge and hence CX wouldn't have to pay for any extra staff.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:27 am

The atrium entrance is right next to a row of CX agents. All CX has to do is ask the agent closest to the atrium exit to double-check BP of people trying to enter atrium and problem is solved.

Also, I agreed with the poster that it is primarily the DMs fault that the F lounge is crowded. That is why I insist it's most likely OWEs, because like what he said, based on what I can see of people's BPs, it's mostly OWEs, not DMs, using the lounges. I am only one person and one sample size, but that is also my experience every time I enjoy the F lounge, especially when I small talk with people, I think only a few times I met fellow DMs that we can talk DM privileges, otherwise, it's always talking to OWEs (mostly AA EXPs)
Old Nov 3, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
On my list of irritants, interlopers in the F lounge is way down on my list.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
I have been doing TPE-HKG-LAX for the past couple of years and mostly only have time for HKG lounge before the midnight LAX flight (CX880). CX531 almost always arrived at a distant gate, so when I finally got to the Wing, I didn't actually have too much time to do anything. And I've already quite full after the meal service on 531 and TPE lounge food. So all I need is a place to rest a bit before boarding.

Then on the return flight, my connecting time was always pretty short, so I can only remember two times when I used the lounge --- earlier than expected arrival and delayed connecting flight.

So as a DM with at least 6 TPAC a year, I only use the lounge (not even F lounge) for less than 5 hours, whereas at LAX, I pretty often stay at the lounge more than 3 hours per trip.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

AA flight

I resurrected this thread...curious if anyone knows the timing ex-HKG 1:30pm is still what's planned for the AA flight to DFW starting in a few months? I have to imagine that's going to add 100-150 people midday to whatever lounge is closest. I don't know exactly AA's 777-300ER layout, but I know there are 58 seats in J/F, plus lord knows how many AA EXPs sitting in the back. I'm not privy to what gates will be allocated to AA but I would expect either something near the Bridge/Pier area, or back on the east side near the Wing. Either way I suspect starting June the lounges are going to see a major uptick in pax around that flight.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 8:39 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

I wonder what lounge AA will direct them to. Possibly QF lounge as it is quiet at that time. I know that doesn't stop those in the know from coming to CX lounges, but hopefully they choose QF as the designated lounge.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
I just realized from reading the posts above that Silver MPO members can use the Business Class lounge when flying Y.

My recollection from a few years ago is that Silvers could not use the lounge if travelling Y.

Is this a more recent benefit?

Thanks.
That would make little sense because if they weren't flying Y they'd be flying C or F and have lounge access in any case. (Okay, Y+ is marginal.) But even LH and its affiliates (OZ, LO, LX) give Business lounge access to its Silver elites (1st tier) as do BA and IB when flying economy.

Perhaps CX should do what BA does and create an F lounge that is only open to F fliers and its MPCDiamonds and not even OWEmeralds?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shareholder
That would make little sense...
mate, you're responding to a post that's a year old....

sorry i dredged up an old thread in hopes of talking about AA's new flight impact on lounges in HK. it starts in June and after having reasonable un-crowded experiences in HK's lounges the last few weeks (which I chalk up to the Bridge opening late last year), I think the lull is going to be short lived when 100-150 new guests wcome online midday with the DFW flight
Old Feb 10, 2014, 10:25 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Shareholder
But even LH and its affiliates (OZ, LO, LX) give Business lounge access to its Silver elites (1st tier) as do BA and IB when flying economy.
Just to be clear though, BA has bronze level which is equivalent to CX Silver (Oneworld Ruby) which doesn't have lounge access.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:36 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
I just realized from reading the posts above that Silver MPO members can use the Business Class lounge when flying Y.

My recollection from a few years ago is that Silvers could not use the lounge if travelling Y.

Is this a more recent benefit?

Thanks.
Just to actually asnwer this question: for AFAIK MPO SLs always have J lounge access when departing from a CX FLT (and after 2007, KA as well).
Old Feb 11, 2014, 3:03 am

CX's own fault for gifting MPC status to anyone who wanted to register for an Amex card - hopefully the number of status holders will drop as those promotions expire. I was also quite surprised to find out CX Silver allows lounge access, given that pretty much everyone in HK is a member of MPC there must be an awful lot of Silvers around.

IME the lounges at the far end of the airport rarely fill up, most seem to head straight for The Wing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.