Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX IFE - ipod/iphone connectivity

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2013, 6:36 am
Original Poster

CX IFE - ipod/iphone connectivity

Your entertainment control panel now includes a Multi-port Connector that lets you connect your own electronic devices, including the iPod and iPhone,* and stream audio and video content to your personal TV display – which you control through your own device. There is also a USB port for charging mobile devices.
Frequently travel on CX but never really used any of the functions above... but now that I've just bought myself an iPad mini... does any one know if the iPod/iPhone connectivity extends to iPads too? What is the extension cord used, the USB cord we normally use for charging the device?

Thanks!

baclubflyer
Old Jan 10, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club
Originally Posted by baclubflyer
Frequently travel on CX but never really used any of the functions above... but now that I've just bought myself an iPad mini... does any one know if the iPod/iPhone connectivity extends to iPads too? What is the extension cord used, the USB cord we normally use for charging the device?

Thanks!

baclubflyer
The USB cable is the one that you usually charge your device with, while the cable to connect your device to the screen is available upon request from the cabin crew. I don't know if it's ipad compatible though.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: Skywards
This is the cable I think, the details say it is compatible with the ipad2 although whether that means that the CX IFE is compatible I'm not sure. I did read here that someone said it wouldn't work with their ipad.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TX...pod-and-iphone
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: FT
cable only supports ipods/iphones...not ipad minis...yet

Last edited by mkjr; Jan 10, 2013 at 9:02 am Reason: did not finish my thought...
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by mkjr
cable only supports ipods/iphones...not ipad minis...yet
Yet the Apple website says that it is compatible with the Ipad 2
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: BR Gold, MPC Silver
Originally Posted by Neiltoo
Apple introduced a new type of connector for the Iphone5, Ipad Mini and Ipad 4 which changed the video signal out from analog to digital (or vice versa) so those units probably will not work with the IFE.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by LapuLapu
Apple introduced a new type of connector for the Iphone5, Ipad Mini and Ipad 4 which changed the video signal out from analog to digital (or vice versa) so those units probably will not work with the IFE.
Yes, of course! Sorry, I had forgotten about the new connector.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 2:21 pm

that is only recent. the prior cable was not compatible with ipads AT ALL. the question really is whether the software and the cables CX uses (which are still the old ones) support ipads...even the ipad 2 and i think the answer is no they do not...not sure when but personally, if you have your ipad or ipad mini, the screen on the CX IFE is probably not as good resolution...no?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: Thai
Your iPad probably is higher resolution than the IFE display. Might as well just watch your iPad. I can see the advantage of using the IFE for video on your small iPhone/iPod screen.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

This is the cable I think, the details say it is compatible with the ipad2 although whether that means that the CX IFE is compatible I'm not sure. I did read here that someone said it wouldn't work with their ipad.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TX...pod-and-iphone
So the consensus seems to be that CX provides the cable mentioned in the poster above but this is only compatible with those flat plugs ie not the smaller ones used for iPhone5 and iPad mini? Is this plug avaliable for F J W Y passengers on a first come first serve basis? I suppose the USB port as part of the panel of controls will only go so far as charging the device but won't be able to play anything?

And I was thinking iPhone / iPad mini would be good to convert to the larger IFE screen especially in F J ... oh well!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by baclubflyer
So the consensus seems to be that CX provides the cable mentioned in the poster above but this is only compatible with those flat plugs ie not the smaller ones used for iPhone5 and iPad mini? Is this plug avaliable for F J W Y passengers on a first come first serve basis? I suppose the USB port as part of the panel of controls will only go so far as charging the device but won't be able to play anything?

And I was thinking iPhone / iPad mini would be good to convert to the larger IFE screen especially in F J ... oh well!
No, as far as I am aware, CX does not provide that current cable. They provide one that pre-dates the current one on sale unless they have replaced them and the prior one was not compatible with ipad's.

Yes, they are available on a first come first serve basis. I asked for mine the moment I boarded.

Yes, USB only charges, well, actually, provides some limited power to your device while in flight to keep the battery from draining since it takes a very long time to charge based on my experience.

iphone is probably fine to convert to larger IFE but personally, i find the content to be decent on CX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.