Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 10, 13, 6:36 am   #1
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 341
CX IFE - ipod/iphone connectivity

Quote:
Your entertainment control panel now includes a Multi-port Connector that lets you connect your own electronic devices, including the iPod and iPhone,* and stream audio and video content to your personal TV display which you control through your own device. There is also a USB port for charging mobile devices.
Frequently travel on CX but never really used any of the functions above... but now that I've just bought myself an iPad mini... does any one know if the iPod/iPhone connectivity extends to iPads too? What is the extension cord used, the USB cord we normally use for charging the device?

Thanks!

baclubflyer
baclubflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 13, 8:20 am   #2
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: HKG YYZ
Programs: Marco Polo Club
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by baclubflyer View Post
Frequently travel on CX but never really used any of the functions above... but now that I've just bought myself an iPad mini... does any one know if the iPod/iPhone connectivity extends to iPads too? What is the extension cord used, the USB cord we normally use for charging the device?

Thanks!

baclubflyer
The USB cable is the one that you usually charge your device with, while the cable to connect your device to the screen is available upon request from the cabin crew. I don't know if it's ipad compatible though.
__________________
My trip reports:Third Time's the Charm, Take 2 on CX Premium and Travels to the Orient
b-kpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 13, 8:42 am   #3
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ireland
Posts: 197
This is the cable I think, the details say it is compatible with the ipad2 although whether that means that the CX IFE is compatible I'm not sure. I did read here that someone said it wouldn't work with their ipad.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TX...pod-and-iphone
Neiltoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 13, 9:01 am   #4
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Programs: Points progam member...
Posts: 5,975
cable only supports ipods/iphones...not ipad minis...yet

Last edited by mkjr; Jan 10, 13 at 9:02 am. Reason: did not finish my thought...
mkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 13, 12:12 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ireland
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjr View Post
cable only supports ipods/iphones...not ipad minis...yet
Yet the Apple website says that it is compatible with the Ipad 2
Neiltoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 13, 12:36 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Programs: CX Gold
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neiltoo View Post
Yet the Apple website says that it is compatible with the Ipad 2
Apple introduced a new type of connector for the Iphone5, Ipad Mini and Ipad 4 which changed the video signal out from analog to digital (or vice versa) so those units probably will not work with the IFE.
LapuLapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 13, 12:54 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ireland
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by LapuLapu View Post
Apple introduced a new type of connector for the Iphone5, Ipad Mini and Ipad 4 which changed the video signal out from analog to digital (or vice versa) so those units probably will not work with the IFE.
Yes, of course! Sorry, I had forgotten about the new connector.
Neiltoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 13, 2:21 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Programs: Points progam member...
Posts: 5,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neiltoo View Post
Yet the Apple website says that it is compatible with the Ipad 2
that is only recent. the prior cable was not compatible with ipads AT ALL. the question really is whether the software and the cables CX uses (which are still the old ones) support ipads...even the ipad 2 and i think the answer is no they do not...not sure when but personally, if you have your ipad or ipad mini, the screen on the CX IFE is probably not as good resolution...no?
mkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 13, 4:52 pm   #9
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Thai
Posts: 334
Your iPad probably is higher resolution than the IFE display. Might as well just watch your iPad. I can see the advantage of using the IFE for video on your small iPhone/iPod screen.
Cameron38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 13, 7:47 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neiltoo View Post
This is the cable I think, the details say it is compatible with the ipad2 although whether that means that the CX IFE is compatible I'm not sure. I did read here that someone said it wouldn't work with their ipad.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TX...pod-and-iphone
So the consensus seems to be that CX provides the cable mentioned in the poster above but this is only compatible with those flat plugs ie not the smaller ones used for iPhone5 and iPad mini? Is this plug avaliable for F J W Y passengers on a first come first serve basis? I suppose the USB port as part of the panel of controls will only go so far as charging the device but won't be able to play anything?

And I was thinking iPhone / iPad mini would be good to convert to the larger IFE screen especially in F J ... oh well!
baclubflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 13, 8:06 am   #11
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Programs: Points progam member...
Posts: 5,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by baclubflyer View Post
So the consensus seems to be that CX provides the cable mentioned in the poster above but this is only compatible with those flat plugs ie not the smaller ones used for iPhone5 and iPad mini? Is this plug avaliable for F J W Y passengers on a first come first serve basis? I suppose the USB port as part of the panel of controls will only go so far as charging the device but won't be able to play anything?

And I was thinking iPhone / iPad mini would be good to convert to the larger IFE screen especially in F J ... oh well!
No, as far as I am aware, CX does not provide that current cable. They provide one that pre-dates the current one on sale unless they have replaced them and the prior one was not compatible with ipad's.

Yes, they are available on a first come first serve basis. I asked for mine the moment I boarded.

Yes, USB only charges, well, actually, provides some limited power to your device while in flight to keep the battery from draining since it takes a very long time to charge based on my experience.

iphone is probably fine to convert to larger IFE but personally, i find the content to be decent on CX.
mkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 2:42 am.