Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New Regional Products for 772, 773 and regionally configured A330's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Regional Products for 772, 773 and regionally configured A330's

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:09 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by mayodave
I was on what appeared to be a brand new plane the other day with the new biz class starting in row 11 and no first class. Not sure if it is me but the seat space felt smaller than what we get on the long haul 777.
A330 is smaller than 777

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...seat-a333.html
Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by briguychau
The 6 747s being retired are 74As, so there will still be 4 74As and 8 74Ks remaining. The 74K will fly all of the long-haul flights (and some regional flights in-between), and the 74As will probably fly only regional routes.

Oops, I was just counting CX flights and not KA.

Probably 33G?
are these 4 74A doing long haul ops at the moment?

If so and they are going to be put on regional routes (In terms of frequency how does 4 planes replace 6 a330) what is replacing them on long haul routes?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by Kachjc
are these 4 74A doing long haul ops at the moment?

If so and they are going to be put on regional routes (In terms of frequency how does 4 planes replace 6 a330) what is replacing them on long haul routes?
You've got to step back from the assumption that CX's only viable survival strategy is to always and under every circumstance maintain or increase capacity/market share on every possible route. It could well be that reducing seats on some routes is going to enhance CX's prospects by boosting profitability. They'll have fewer surplus seats they need to sell at a lower profit.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 9:06 pm

yes I understand that-but it makes me think-was CX operating these routes in an inefficient manner all these years??

also will frequencies be reduced with this reduction in aircraft?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kachjc
yes I understand that-but it makes me think-was CX operating these routes in an inefficient manner all these years??

also will frequencies be reduced with this reduction in aircraft?
When oil was cheap than it is a different story. You can't just look at the loads and determine the profitability
Old Dec 28, 2012, 6:04 pm

In fact, some routes are much more profitable being operated by 777 instead of 747 because of the enormous cargo capacity of the 777 compared with the 747
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:14 pm

I see
Old Dec 29, 2012, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Having flown a regional A333 (B-HLV), I would have to agree that it needs work. The screen for the IFE in my seat, 14A, was horribly washed out, almost black and white.

That being said, my J cabin for HKG-PEN was nearly full. So people do pay for it, washed out screen and all....service was nice, but the hard product is a bit below some US airlines I have flown in premium cabins (VX for one). My guess is this new product would put them at par with other airlines on short/mid haul.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

One thing I don't like is the screen size. I have no clue why small screens are chosen. The long-haul screen is 15" which is good as far as J is concerned. The new regional is 12". I wish they have gone with 15" in J and 10" in Y even on the long-haul Y seats.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 6:56 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Having flown a regional A333 (B-HLV), I would have to agree that it needs work. The screen for the IFE in my seat, 14A, was horribly washed out, almost black and white.
This makes me wonder. With the current crop of regional product, if I had to fly HKG-SIN, for example, I'm quite sure I'd rather sit in longhaul Y than in regional J (given a choice of flights), due to exactly this issue and the horrid IFE in general on these regional birds.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by midlevels
This makes me wonder. With the current crop of regional product, if I had to fly HKG-SIN, for example, I'm quite sure I'd rather sit in longhaul Y than in regional J (given a choice of flights), due to exactly this issue and the horrid IFE in general on these regional birds.
It's a classic YMMV situation. Personally, I'd still take regional J over any Y. I rarely use IFE on regional flights, so the extra space is the deciding factor. And it looks like the catering is improving (based on my limited recent sample, anyway). My bigger IFE complaint is the headsets. When I rush out the door without my iPod, I do listen to the "radio" offerings. Why can't regional J offer a better headset?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
Why can't regional J offer a better headset?
Once the new regional J rolls out, the long-haul headset will be used. Although, it would be nice if they upgraded the headsets overall. IMO, the headsets even in long-haul are not of good quality.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:34 pm

B-LAZ will still be 33G.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B-HXG
B-LAZ will still be 33G.
Are you a fellow crew member with CX?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by maortega15
Are you a fellow crew member with CX?
Haha sorry I'm not :P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.