Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Radical flight path

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2012, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Radical flight path

Came home on May 27th CX840 flight. The usual flight path is through Japan, curve right below Alaska, flight through the Canadian provinces, and then coming into JFK from the north.

This time, I noticed the flight path radically altered. It headed south towards San Francisco, and then from mid-California heading east to JFk, and instead of the usual one hour advance arrival we arrived 30 minutes late.

Anyone know why CX840 on May 27th was redirected like this?
Old May 29, 2012, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Mostly wind (But for sure not NATO Summit in Chicago).

From May 26 until now, all CX 840s have been re-routed to a similar manner (did not check with other HKG-JFK flights).

BTW - UA 116 (HKG-EWR) has a similar re-routing as well.
Old May 29, 2012, 6:46 am

Your routing over SFO is not too unusual and has happened a bit more than normal because of several active volcanoes in Southern Japan which CX tries to avoid. It also depends on the winds obviously, but in the middle of the Pacific towards Guam there is often some turbulence as the jetstreams there make some U shapes and sometimes even reverse on themselves.
Old May 29, 2012, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Came home on May 27th CX840 flight. The usual flight path is through Japan, curve right below Alaska, flight through the Canadian provinces, and then coming into JFK from the north.

This time, I noticed the flight path radically altered. It headed south towards San Francisco, and then from mid-California heading east to JFk, and instead of the usual one hour advance arrival we arrived 30 minutes late.

Anyone know why CX840 on May 27th was redirected like this?
was there nonsense weather up in the skies in southern canada?
Old May 29, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm
FYI, flightaware keeps track of the flight paths.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/C...810Z/VHHH/KJFK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.