Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Apple Daily 8 May - Cathay to freeze headcount, cut costs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apple Daily 8 May - Cathay to freeze headcount, cut costs

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2012, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by garykung
I was told - not one, but several CX FAs that CX does not care their own staffs.
This claim has been made in the past by this same poster and ultimately debunked (in another FT thread) as something the poster fabricated, along with most of his other complaints about CX.
Old May 16, 2012, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
This claim has been made in the past by this same poster and ultimately debunked (in another FT thread) as something the poster fabricated, along with most of his other complaints about CX.
If you have a problem with me, let's hear it.

I never made up of anything at all. BTW - as far as I can recall, not 1 FA, but 3 FAs in fact said the exact same thing to me.
Old May 16, 2012, 5:31 am

Programs: CX GO by flying, ex-QF PS, AMEX Platinum, CA & KrisFlyer Nobody
If you have a problem with me, let's hear it.

I never made up of anything at all. BTW - as far as I can recall, not 1 FA, but 3 FAs in fact said the exact same thing to me.
I do believe CX, a for-profit listed company, will push her staff to the extreme that the law allows in order to max the profile at the minimum cost. It won't be just CX though, I believe pretty much a lot of Asian companies are doing the same.

Whether such a push is reasonable/ethical or not is subjective - I won't get surprised FAs said so to you.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Really.. enough of this bantering, please!

Either keep on the topic or else we shall close the thread...

Thank you

Guy Betsy
Cathay Pacific Asia Miles forum co-mod
Old May 21, 2012, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Another point of view:

Originally Posted by Platinum Cub
As much as I am accustomed to flying AA and enjoy the NRT routing, nothing compares to flying F or even J on CX. (15+ hours with CX FAs who actually love what they do and show it, as opposed to what you'll encounter on a consistent basis with AA, and you'll understand why.)
Old May 22, 2012, 2:03 pm

I was told - not one, but several CX FAs that CX does not care their own staffs.

Apparently, CX's management style has some issues for sure.
Not sure if this means anything.

Senior management changes at Cathay Pacific
15 May 2012

Cathay Pacific today announced the appointment of Ms Chitty Cheung as Director Corporate Affairs.

Ms Cheung will take over from Ms Quince Chong who will be leaving the company to take up a position in another industry.
Old May 22, 2012, 6:32 pm

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
Rumor has it that Quince will follow the steps of Blue Green...
Old May 23, 2012, 12:57 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kchika
Rumor has it that Quince will follow the steps of Blue Green...
http://news.hkheadline.com/dailynews.../17/191075.asp

apparently its CLP
Old May 29, 2012, 6:44 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by hadsst
This is an official 'profit warning' announced through HKEx. I don't believe a major listed company will make things up.

If you look at SQ's annual results announced today, you'll see similar lines - yield under pressure (esp Europe and NA), weak cargo demand, high fuel cost.
CA released 2012 Q1 income statement on 26 Apr on the SSE (PRC listcos need to file income statements quarterly, unlike HK listcos who file every half year). It includes CX's profit for the quarter:

http://static.sse.com.cn/cs/zhs/scfw..._1.pdf#page=11

I'm trying to reverse engineer CX's profit for 2012 Q1. I've made use of certain ratios in CA's annual report http://static.sse.com.cn/cs/zhs/scfw...111_2011_n.pdf and CX's annual report http://www.hkexnews.hk/listedco/list...0120403479.pdf

(From CA Q1) Share of associates and jointly controlled entities: RMB5.140M
(From CA annual) ~80% of that is CX: RMB4.112M
Translate to HKD at $1.23M/RMB: $5.058M
CA only holds 30% of CX, so inflate to 100% of CX: $16.86M
CA's share of CX profit excludes CX's share of CA profit, so add it back: RMB239.071M x 1.23 x 20% (CX ownership of CA) x 0.9 ((from CX annual) CA's contribution to CX's associate and JCE profit) = $52.93M
Profit of CX attributable to CX shareholders for Q1: $71.79M
Profit of CX attributable to CX shareholders for 2012 (Q1 x 4) = $287.16M
(Audited profit for 2011: 5,501M, 2010: 14,048M)

The amount is much less if you exclude CX's share of CA:
2012 estimate: $67M
2011 audited: $3,488M
2010 audited: roughly $11,905M (CA not separately disclosed in 2010 AR)
Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by JALPak
http://inews.mingpao.com/htm/INews/2...0/gb41147a.htm

CX says there's almost no profit on their long haul flights
I question them on that. How come, then, their V/L fare for CNY from SEA is so much higher than a KE T/Q class?
Both require a connection, so it is fair.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:16 pm

Apparently, CX's management style has some issues for sure.
Agree!
last week i back from Sydney. I was upgraded to PEY. It was a full load flight and I was surprised that NO dedicated cabin crew working in PEY!! The whole Left hand side aisle only had 2 cabin crew serving from the first row of PEY to the last row of Y!! Right hand side of the cabin also the same. I oberseved that the crew had NO TIME to take care PEY as there are many Y class passengers waiting for them. It's not the crew's fault. Just the CX management hv some problems......

poor CX crew!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B-HXG
Cathay Pacific Airways today issued a trading statement to the Hong Kong Stock Exchange advising that its financial results for the first half of 2012 are “expected to be disappointing”.
CA also issued profit warning after close of trading yesterday:

http://www.hkexnews.hk/listedco/list...0120717399.pdf

I. ESTIMATED RESULTS FOR THE PERIOD between 1 january 2012 to 30
june 2012

1. According to the preliminary estimation of the finance department of Air China Limited (the “Company”), the net profit attributable to equity holders of the Company for the period from 1 January to 30 June 2012 is expected to decrease by more than 50% compared to that of the corresponding period in 2011. Detailed financial information will be disclosed in the 2012 interim report of the Company (the “2012 Interim Report”).

2. The estimated results have not been audited by the Company’s certified public accountants.

II. RESULTS FOR THE CORRESPONDING PERIOD in 2011 (1 JANUARY 2011 TO 30 JUNE 2011)

1. Net profit attributable to equity holders of the Company: RMB4,063 million
2. Earnings per share: RMB0.33

III. MAJOR REASONS FOR THE CHANGE TO THE ESTIMATED RESULTS
During the period from 1 January to 30 June 2012, the operating results of the Company decreased comparing to the corresponding period in 2011 due to various factors including, among others, the slowdown in the growth of demand in the PRC aviation industry, the continued depression of demand in the international aviation market and the year-on year growth in the price of jet fuel. In addition, compared to the significant appreciation of Renminbi against US dollars in the corresponding period in 2011, the exchange rate
of Renminbi remained relatively stable during 2012. As a result, the Company enjoyed significantly lower foreign exchange gain compared to that of the corresponding period in 2011.

We sort of already knew this, after release of CA's Q1 financials on 26 April (84% decrease in profits http://static.sse.com.cn/cs/zhs/scfw..._1.pdf#page=12)
Old Jul 17, 2012, 4:41 pm

With 4 cabins and people paying two and a half time as much to sit in Y+, there should be permanent Y+ cabin crew. Maybe 3 total assigned, but there should be more. Could be cost-cutting in advance - CX is seeing if they can get away with the same amount of crew but service in Y+ is bound to be crappy.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
With 4 cabins and people paying two and a half time as much to sit in Y+, there should be permanent Y+ cabin crew. Maybe 3 total assigned, but there should be more. Could be cost-cutting in advance - CX is seeing if they can get away with the same amount of crew but service in Y+ is bound to be crappy.
If they did not jacked up their surcharges so much, we would have been flying but turned out we saved they lost.

You can say that again, we saved and they lost. We did not fly anywhere this summer.

Is this fare price discrimination? Noted that for the same day flight out of Toronto compared to New York for the same class there is a $400 higher difference in the lowest base fare flying out of YYZ although the milage is more from New York to HK. The surcharges are almost same (only couple of dollars difference). US$ and CAD$ are within par.

Last edited by travelbug38; Aug 8, 2012 at 3:47 pm
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:20 am
Original Poster

2012 interim results announced: loss of $935M

http://www.hkexnews.hk/listedco/list...073.pdf#page=7

7.7% fall in share price after announcement http://www.aastocks.com/tc/ltp/rtquo...x?symbol=00293

"unexpected loss because of a slump in cargo demand, higher fuel costs and waning premium travel" http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...ffiliates.html

In other news: 16 more A350-9s converted to A350-10s, and 10 A350-10s are bought http://www.hkexnews.hk/listedco/list...0120808085.pdf

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 8, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.