Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Tips to get F seating on 2 class sold, 3 class configured 744?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold

Flying in J on HKG-CGK and DPS-HKG routes which I believe are both serviced by a 3-class configuration 744.
As an Emerald, is there anythinhg I can do to get the seats in the front allocated?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Not unless you're a MPC DM member.

CX may just block off the F cabin for entire trip. Otherwise they will assign those seats only at the airport.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I don't know that your OWE status will help, but if these flights are part of LH F connections, you should have no problem getting into the F cabin (assuming that it's not completely closed for the flight). If you aren't assigned there automatically, go to the desk at the gate, explain that you are connecting to/from CX LH F service, and ask if you can be seated in the F cabin. Only happened to me a few times, but 100% success rate.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I don't know that your OWE status will help, but if these flights are part of LH F connections, you should have no problem getting into the F cabin (assuming that it's not completely closed for the flight). If you aren't assigned there automatically, go to the desk at the gate, explain that you are connecting to/from CX LH F service, and ask if you can be seated in the F cabin. Only happened to me a few times, but 100% success rate.
Lots of threads on this. If part of F award, CX sometimes does it automatically by time OLCI opens. My wife without status has gotten it at the airport due onward F flight. I've gotten on J awards with my Emerald status. I've been able to bring one status-less J companion due my status. Trick is asking for it. I've NEVER seen CX be able to handle in the out stations or over phone. It is always done at the departing airport. Check every opportunity, check-in, lounge, gate. You have to fight for it. Last yr ex-DPS, new BPs were spit out at the gate. Good luck!
Old Jan 14, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Lots of threads on this. If part of F award, CX sometimes does it automatically by time OLCI opens. My wife without status has gotten it at the airport due onward F flight. I've gotten on J awards with my Emerald status. I've been able to bring one status-less J companion due my status. Trick is asking for it. I've NEVER seen CX be able to handle in the out stations or over phone. It is always done at the departing airport. Check every opportunity, check-in, lounge, gate. You have to fight for it. Last yr ex-DPS, new BPs were spit out at the gate. Good luck!
Is the 747 experience in F that much better than upstairs in J? I'm connecting in HKG to DPS and was sort of looking forward to upstairs as I have never flown there. Any advice?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: CX DM
At the end of the day, its not guaranteed - nice if you get it but dont think of as it as entitlement....no point setting yourself up for disappointment as I've see on some threads

Good luck!
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
On my DPS connecting flights, I have selected 80K each way and will be happy with them (I hope?), but will of course ask when I check-in in New York if can be seated in the F cabin...
Old Jan 14, 2012, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
On my DPS connecting flights, I have selected 80K each way and will be happy with them (I hope?), but will of course ask when I check-in in New York if can be seated in the F cabin...
See my earlier post. You're wasting your time in NY. Out stations can't preassign. It is HKG where you need to work it.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 5:02 am

I will try the same on my next flight from DPS-HKG.

Reservations couldn't help with this issue.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by pssteve
Is the 747 experience in F that much better than upstairs in J? I'm connecting in HKG to DPS and was sort of looking forward to upstairs as I have never flown there. Any advice?
Bigger seat, you can dine with a guest, much better lav, curvature of 744 allows for slight forward view from row 1, and I find nose quieter than upstairs. And, you'll likely get off the plane quicker (unless you are towards rear of upper deck) which is key if you don't arrange airport VIP meet since it is a battle with humanity to get through immigration and visa-on-demand queues that time of day.

So yes, I'd say the F experience is that much better!
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:33 pm

I just checked in at DPS airport, 1 A and K were assigned upon request without any problems. We will connect on an F ticket.

Premier Lounge: Rip-Off Wifi ($ 5 / hr) but free pcs. Those pcs do not showany security meassures against phishing and other scam, so really dangerous. Simply pull out the ethernet cable and plug it in your own pc to solve the issue.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by kexbox
I just checked in at DPS airport, 1 A and K were assigned upon request without any problems. We will connect on an F ticket.

Premier Lounge: Rip-Off Wifi ($ 5 / hr) but free pcs. Those pcs do not showany security meassures against phishing and other scam, so really dangerous. Simply pull out the ethernet cable and plug it in your own pc to solve the issue.
Bad lounge. 1) only there when leaving DPS so always sad, 2) have to pour your own beer from the tap in the other room, and 3) sometimes the outdoor section is closed. I usually just hang out in the Japanese restaurant directly below you right now. Enjoy 1A/K, job well done!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold

I was unlucky last week as they had equipment change to 777 for DPS-HKG. Was super old plane with bad recline. Check in agent said that equipment change pretty much never happens... My unlucky day
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Fantastic!

May I ask, when do you connect onwards? Immediately on arrival in HKG from DPS? Or do you have any time in HKG?

My ticket I am flying from DPS on is an international F sector, to SFO, however it is after a 4 day layover... Would that exclude me from the "F Connection" people?

Thanks,

BBB
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Fantastic!

May I ask, when do you connect onwards? Immediately on arrival in HKG from DPS? Or do you have any time in HKG?

My ticket I am flying from DPS on is an international F sector, to SFO, however it is after a 4 day layover... Would that exclude me from the "F Connection" people?

Thanks,

BBB
CX scans the PNRs, not duration of layover. If your onward connection is part of the same PNR, you shouldn't have a problem. My wife had a 3 or 4 day layover, but she was automatically swept into the nose DPSHKG. I was NOT, despite my OWE status, due I had split PNRs; one to HKG, then another one home. So the system didn't recognize me as going onward in F. I sorted it out at the aiport in Bali.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.