Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX to offer Amex Plat Cardholders from some countries MPC Gold status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2011, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

Yep. In addition to this : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...nd-status.html, CX has once again teamed up with Amex to offer their Platinum card holders from certain countries MPC Gold status.

A friend from Singapore just wrote to tell me of what CX had just offered him.

Edited to add: I don't know which countries. You would just have to wait for Amex to offer to you.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Jul 15, 2011 at 9:46 am
Old Jul 15, 2011, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Which countries, please?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
The Plat card (charge) and not the Plat credit card i suppose? this is getting insane! now waht , plat credit will get silver!? i think this is too much!(even if i will benefit from it)
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:51 am

Programs: CX DM (Member since 1993)
Marco Polo Club (1969 - 2011)

This is a very sad day indeed for long-standing members of the Marco Polo Club, watching their beloved Club self-destruct right before their very eyes. May it rest in peace! :'(
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:02 am

The offer is available in India: http://www.americanexpress.com/india...aypacific.html

"Complimentary membership to the Gold Tier of Marco Polo Club upon the purchase of an exclusive American Express fare on First or Business Class on Cathay Pacific."
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:14 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
I can't wait to see someone starts a new thread "Amex gold gets MPC SL"

Sounds like all the complains sent to MPC regarding the DM offer isn't enough to stop them

But at least this time you need to buy a CX F/J fare to be eligible in India
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by TheDell
The offer is available in India: http://www.americanexpress.com/india...aypacific.html

"Complimentary membership to the Gold Tier of Marco Polo Club upon the purchase of an exclusive American Express fare on First or Business Class on Cathay Pacific."
Well thank goodness they gave it to a country with such a small population...
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Yep. In addition to this : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...nd-status.html, CX has once again teamed up with Amex to offer their Platinum card holders from certain countries MPC Gold status.

A friend from Singapore just wrote to tell me of what CX had just offered him.

Edited to add: I don't know which countries. You would just have to wait for Amex to offer to you.
Does your friend from Singapore has to purchase a premium ticket on CX to be eligible just like those in India?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: CX Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Plat

"Offer valid till March 31st, 2010 (subject to renewal)."
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by hadsst
"Offer valid till March 31st, 2010 (subject to renewal)."
Ha so we got the order wrong. Amex offers MPC Gold before MPC DM

So maybe the new offer is you get it for free without purchase?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:42 am

Well spotted, hadsst.

Back in 2004, Citibank Platinum Visa Card Holders in Singapore were offered MPC Gold for flying 6 CX F/J Sectors within 3 months: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/46685968...atinum-Airline

So CX has probably been doing this for a long time, except it seems to be widening the campaigns and lowering the requirements.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: CX Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by JALPak
Ha so we got the order wrong. Amex offers MPC Gold before MPC DM

So maybe the new offer is you get it for free without purchase?
Note another offer from Amex is to give out FREE gold membership (without purchase) for Kingfisher's King Club to cardholders in India, which may actually be more attractive than the CX Gold offer.

(Note: This tier needs 60K of their status miles, which should be equivalent to OW emerald when it formally joins OW I suppose.)
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by hadsst
Note another offer from Amex is to give out FREE gold membership (without purchase) for Kingfisher's King Club to cardholders in India, which may actually be more attractive than the CX Gold offer.

(Note: This tier needs 60K of their status miles, which should be equivalent to OW emerald when it formally joins OW I suppose.)
All Amex cardholders or just plat for the kingfisher offer? I hope this is not the trend of other ow carriers
Old Jul 15, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
This is a very sad day indeed for long-standing members of the Marco Polo Club, watching their beloved Club self-destruct right before their very eyes. May it rest in peace! :'(
Couldn't have said it better, really.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by JALPak
Does your friend from Singapore has to purchase a premium ticket on CX to be eligible just like those in India?
Nope. His dwindling Asia Miles account is fact to this... the communication was directly between Amex and him. He hasn't heard from MPC since he dropped to GR 3 years ago. He has both a charge and creditcard.

He hasn't flown on CX for a year now so although having CX GO might be an incentive, I don't know if he's willing to give CX a go again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.