Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

When will award seats be made available / when are awards released?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will award seats be made available / when are awards released?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Good points. When F1 on any of the nonstops, it is only the 1055 departre from JFK that makes a seat available via AA/BA. The 0120 departure and 1455 will release a seat to AsiaMiles if F1, but not partners. Again, highly unscientific, I've just been losing sleep over this issue and keeping track of my observations. I've clearly spent well in excess of the 16 hours we'll be airborne trying to secure better seats!
Argh, I give up. Just made another sweep of inventory, and found a case where BA has availability that AsiaMiles does NOT! My guess is it has to do with the lag time between the two systems. But the bias remains to AM...looking at JFKHKG in coming days, a few have identical awards at BA and AM, but usually AM availability is > BA by a single seat.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 4:29 pm

this is awesome thread ...
didnt know CX release 8J seats 330 days out... I guess I need to look closer on my date
have you try redeeming using AA and BA at the same time? dont have enough on each account to cover 2 tix...
Old Jul 30, 2011, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sparkzone
didnt know CX release 8J seats 330 days out... I guess I need to look closer on my date
have you try redeeming using AA and BA at the same time? dont have enough on each account to cover 2 tix...
As a matter of fact, yes. A few days ago I booked 4F seats YYZHKG for this Monday. 3 using BA, 1 with AA. I made sure each saw 4 to begin with, then kept both agents on the phone simultaneously as they booked. A bit clunky, but it wasn't a problem.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 9:33 am

Redeeming BA miles on CX for HKG-SIN in F?

What is the story behind redeeming BA miles on CX for HKG-SIN in F? I always see lots of availability 1-2 days before departure, but beyond that I don't ever see availability in F but only in C.

So if I wanted to redeem SFO-HKG-SIN all in F, does that mean I have to book SFO-HKG in F but HKG-SIN in C, and hope that as the date approaches that HKG-SIN in F will be available? Has anyone done that?
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: AA, DL, TK
Originally Posted by sparkzone
I also booked 2 CX J seats, 1 from AA and 1 from BA, and found that I was able to book both outbound and return from BA at T-330 for the outbound but had to book 1 direction at a time from AA based on the actual dates. The only issue was that availability on the earlier HKG-JFK for my return was gone by the time AA opened up the date so I had to switch the BA booking to the later departure.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BAmemberUSD2009
What is the story behind redeeming BA miles on CX for HKG-SIN in F? I always see lots of availability 1-2 days before departure, but beyond that I don't ever see availability in F but only in C.

So if I wanted to redeem SFO-HKG-SIN all in F, does that mean I have to book SFO-HKG in F but HKG-SIN in C, and hope that as the date approaches that HKG-SIN in F will be available? Has anyone done that?
Yes, plenty of times. JFKHKGBKK. They deduct the F mileage but book you in J. And should the desired segment open in F, they'll put you in. If not, they keep the F mileage amount. There's no prorate. But you have to do the work. There are no waitlists. But it works exactly how you describe.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 7:14 pm

Yes, plenty of times. JFKHKGBKK. They deduct the F mileage but book you in J. And should the desired segment open in F, they'll put you in. If not, they keep the F mileage amount. There's no prorate. But you have to do the work. There are no waitlists. But it works exactly how you describe.
Thx, but any idea why F is not available for redemption booking for HKG-SIN beyond two days from departure? It only seems to be the case with this particular route and not anything else like HKG-BKK, HKG-JFK, etc.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BAmemberUSD2009
Thx, but any idea why F is not available for redemption booking for HKG-SIN beyond two days from departure? It only seems to be the case with this particular route and not anything else like HKG-BKK, HKG-JFK, etc.
Is F selling? I'm not on that side of the world, wondering if route flips between 2 and 3 class aircraft too frequently to sell F consistently?
Old Aug 1, 2011, 6:57 am

regarding F in HKG-SIN, I read some blog that its also happening in HKG-Bali route. they dont sell F so all awards are bookable in C. Boarding time, CX will upgrade/assign some lucky C to F.... not sure if this is true or not
Old Aug 1, 2011, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum with 2.5MM. Current AA EXP
Here's my understanding of the F versus J booking/seating issue on CX regional flights--and my booking for later in August:

Flying in F from YYZ-HKG w/ a connection to DPS late in August. All along, the HKG-DPS flight has been SOLD as a 2-class regional flight. However, the original aircraft, a 777 (2-class with Regional Business) was changed to a 744 (3-class) a couple of weeks ago. Still, CX has told me that only J is sold and thus I can only get J seats. In fact, if one looks at CX785 on days when the 744 is indicated, the F cabin always shows "X" (not available) in all 9 seats. As many have written, however, these F seats are apparently released (in most cases) on day of flights at the airport/gate/lounge. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

My return trip in early September is another story--I'm booked SIN-HKG-ORD. In this case, I'm booked in F (with seats in F) on both flights. CX734 (1605 hours) from SIN is almost always a 744 and as such, they sell F and assign F seats. There may be one of two others sold as F, but most flights are still operated as 2-Class Regional Business flights. What I don't know about on this route is in the event of a switch to a 3-class from 2-class if CX lets you book and get seats for F or if they treat it like the DPS flights.

Hope that helps, MMM
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MillionMilerMan
Here's my understanding of the F versus J booking/seating issue on CX regional flights--and my booking for later in August:

Flying in F from YYZ-HKG w/ a connection to DPS late in August. All along, the HKG-DPS flight has been SOLD as a 2-class regional flight. However, the original aircraft, a 777 (2-class with Regional Business) was changed to a 744 (3-class) a couple of weeks ago. Still, CX has told me that only J is sold and thus I can only get J seats. In fact, if one looks at CX785 on days when the 744 is indicated, the F cabin always shows "X" (not available) in all 9 seats. As many have written, however, these F seats are apparently released (in most cases) on day of flights at the airport/gate/lounge. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

My return trip in early September is another story--I'm booked SIN-HKG-ORD. In this case, I'm booked in F (with seats in F) on both flights. CX734 (1605 hours) from SIN is almost always a 744 and as such, they sell F and assign F seats. There may be one of two others sold as F, but most flights are still operated as 2-Class Regional Business flights. What I don't know about on this route is in the event of a switch to a 3-class from 2-class if CX lets you book and get seats for F or if they treat it like the DPS flights.

Hope that helps, MMM
Your knowledge of DPS is correct. Usually the CX lounge in HKG can release the F seats (not F service, as noted), sometimes it is done at the gate. Based on my departing experience in DPS, airport is pretty good at identifying those with onward connections in F. As OW Emerald, you can also ask and in my case I was able to get a seat for one guest.

On the other issue, when I was booked on an F award using BA currency, HKGBKK becomes a 3-class aircraft 48 hrs out. I merely called BA and they moved me up, since that is what I had paid for. I'd be shocked if CX doesn't follow the same policy.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Your knowledge of DPS is correct. Usually the CX lounge in HKG can release the F seats (not F service, as noted), sometimes it is done at the gate. Based on my departing experience in DPS, airport is pretty good at identifying those with onward connections in F. As OW Emerald, you can also ask and in my case I was able to get a seat for one guest.
Similar experience for us (Thanks again for the advice about the service up front, btw.). Moved to the front of the plane at the HKG lounge, although we had to ask-don't know if it would have been done automatically. Were flying on F award tix to DPS and wife is OW Emerald. On the way back, they did it at the gate as we checked in at DPS.

BTW, good news: the DPS lounge is now air-conditioned! It's been a few years since we were in Bali, so don't know when that took place.

Mike
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:26 am

We're home... came back on CX 840 on Sunday. If you recall, we had 2J and 2F using AA awards. At T minus 30 hours I ran awardnexus and it identified that 2 first (Z) awards had been released (BA/QF engine) -- this on a flight that expert flyer identified as F2, J3, Y9 availability so pretty booked up in premium classes. I phoned AA to try and move my two J pax into F, AA could see the inventory and requested it but it stuck at "pending" for a good 10 minutes -- CX would not confirm it. AA could not continue the process without confirmation. So I said nevermind, I would try in a few hours. At T minus 26 I tried again and was successful. AA issued new tickets and I had the eTicket in my email within the hour.

Things then got wierd. at T-24 I could not check in... it tried to check me into biz, not first. I waited a few hours, same problem. I looked at the CX web site "manage your booking" and found that the 2 pax were confirmed in BOTH biz (U) and first (Z) even though the AA web site just showed F. I therefore deduced that CX had not updated their system to cancel us out of biz, probably pending receipt of the ticket numbers from AA. I telephoned AA and they said that there was nothing they could do to expedite it, that it would fix itself in due course. I tried calling CX but after 20 minutes on hold (hong kong office) I gave up and decided to fix it at the airport (Singapore) in the morning. At the airport I went to the CX ticket desk first, before checkin. They took a look and said everything was fine, go ahead and checkin. I went to check in and the check in agent said humm... HKG to JFK segments have been cancelled. No I said, your colleague down at the ticket desk said everything was fine. She went to consult with them, came back and checked us in... but had to manually write down the new ticket numbers from the record and re-enter them somewhere else in the record in order for the system to check us in.

This was a minor hiccup and I was expecting it given the late change from biz to first. I have to say that CX were absolutely terrific, both on the ground in SIN as we checked in and in the air. In the last two weeks I have travelled in BA Club World, BA New First and CX Regional Biz and CX First. I have to say that CX First was far and away the best... superior to BA First by a wide margin. With only 6 F seats on their 777's and three flight attendants, in flight service was great. We had all 4 F seats on the right side of the aircraft and it is probably as close to private jet flying as us mere mortals will ever experience.

Highly recommend CX First product.

DAK
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dkerr
We're home... came back on CX 840 on Sunday. If you recall, we had 2J and 2F using AA awards. At T minus 30 hours I ran awardnexus and it identified that 2 first (Z) awards had been released (BA/QF engine) -- this on a flight that expert flyer identified as F2, J3, Y9 availability so pretty booked up in premium classes. I phoned AA to try and move my two J pax into F, AA could see the inventory and requested it but it stuck at "pending" for a good 10 minutes -- CX would not confirm it. AA could not continue the process without confirmation. So I said nevermind, I would try in a few hours. At T minus 26 I tried again and was successful. AA issued new tickets and I had the eTicket in my email within the hour.

Things then got wierd. at T-24 I could not check in... it tried to check me into biz, not first. I waited a few hours, same problem. I looked at the CX web site "manage your booking" and found that the 2 pax were confirmed in BOTH biz (U) and first (Z) even though the AA web site just showed F. I therefore deduced that CX had not updated their system to cancel us out of biz, probably pending receipt of the ticket numbers from AA. I telephoned AA and they said that there was nothing they could do to expedite it, that it would fix itself in due course. I tried calling CX but after 20 minutes on hold (hong kong office) I gave up and decided to fix it at the airport (Singapore) in the morning. At the airport I went to the CX ticket desk first, before checkin. They took a look and said everything was fine, go ahead and checkin. I went to check in and the check in agent said humm... HKG to JFK segments have been cancelled. No I said, your colleague down at the ticket desk said everything was fine. She went to consult with them, came back and checked us in... but had to manually write down the new ticket numbers from the record and re-enter them somewhere else in the record in order for the system to check us in.

This was a minor hiccup and I was expecting it given the late change from biz to first. I have to say that CX were absolutely terrific, both on the ground in SIN as we checked in and in the air. In the last two weeks I have travelled in BA Club World, BA New First and CX Regional Biz and CX First. I have to say that CX First was far and away the best... superior to BA First by a wide margin. With only 6 F seats on their 777's and three flight attendants, in flight service was great. We had all 4 F seats on the right side of the aircraft and it is probably as close to private jet flying as us mere mortals will ever experience.

Highly recommend CX First product.

DAK
Welcome back, and bravo! Had something similar last week: Changed JFKHKG in J to LAXHKG in J, with AA miles. The email from AA confirmed everything was fine, but when I checked CX site the passenger was confirmed on BOTH segments. I called AA and they were able to "force" the ejection of JFKHKG within a minute or two...and it was then reflected on CX's site. Travel has taken place, no issues. So perhaps AA's system doesn't clean up forfeited/altered segments the way that it should? Interesting.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
I am in the exact same boat (although different city pairs) as jamienbaker (currently 2 in F and 2 in J, trying to get all four in F, using partner miles). Between jamie's posts and dkerr's, this has been enormously helpful in understanding what I had read in other posts/threads was coming relative to our trip. Thank you!

Like jamie, I check obsessively every day for the slightest off-chance (however remote) an additional seat or two gets released, even though our flights aren't for another 6 months. I now know I'll have to step up my obsessiveness less than a week out. I have AM access, BA access, KVS and Award Nexus, as well as calling AS partner desk that I check. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.