Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Does Air China transfer luggage with Dragon Air?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2010, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Dear flyers:

Has anybody transfer luggage between Air China and Dragon Air before? I made a last minute booking from WZ to PVG with Air China, and I'm taking an onward flight with Dragon Air PVG to HKG. Just wondering does anybody know can Air China transfer the luggage for me or will I need to pick up the luggage, go out to the lobby, and then re-check them in with Dragon Air?

Thanks
Old May 26, 2010, 10:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3Gs: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I think you probabaly need to as the Air China flight is domestic and Dragonair flight is consider international
Old May 26, 2010, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT, CX Silver, SPG
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Dear flyers:

Has anybody transfer luggage between Air China and Dragon Air before? I made a last minute booking from WZ to PVG with Air China, and I'm taking an onward flight with Dragon Air PVG to HKG. Just wondering does anybody know can Air China transfer the luggage for me or will I need to pick up the luggage, go out to the lobby, and then re-check them in with Dragon Air?

Thanks
I had reverse experience, and it worked fine. However the TA warned me to double check with CX, which I did and it's fine. As long as you can provide the onward flight itinery, TA will tag your bag to your final designation. I don't think domestic or international made any difference.

Not really relevent, but it's fun to know more about baggage handling system.

http://www.airport-int.com/video/bag...g-systems.html
Old May 27, 2010, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately the reality isn't what the document said. The agent claimed since Air China and CX doesn't have a "luggage agreement", she refused to tag my bags to my ongoing KA flight. What's worst, because there's no agreement, therefore my bags are considered overweight by domestic flight standards, and I had to pay 136 CNY out of pocket.

Never flying Air China intra-China again, sticking with China Eastern from now on.
Old May 27, 2010, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Unfortunately the reality isn't what the document said. The agent claimed since Air China and CX doesn't have a "luggage agreement", she refused to tag my bags to my ongoing KA flight. What's worst, because there's no agreement, therefore my bags are considered overweight by domestic flight standards, and I had to pay 136 CNY out of pocket.

Never flying Air China intra-China again, sticking with China Eastern from now on.

According to website, Air China is partner airline. Of course they will have
luggage agreement
I guess the agent don't know what he/she was talking about...
Or else, why I can do it? on reverse way though....

https://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/earn/airlines
Old May 28, 2010, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cliffordchan
According to website, Air China is partner airline. Of course they will have
luggage agreement
I guess the agent don't know what he/she was talking about...
Or else, why I can do it? on reverse way though....

https://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/earn/airlines
I told her that too, Air China is on Asia Miles partner airline, but she refused to budge. One reason I booked Air China is because I know I'll get some mileage credits.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 12:12 am

Interesting question. I know for international-to-international most KA/CX ground agents would recommend against a through check for the simple reason that.... the passenger has to go through immigration and customs in BJS / PVG even for an international transfer. PRC airports were not designed with international transfers in mind and baggage handlers, even seeing interline bags, would ignore them and load them onto baggage carousel. It would be interesting to know what domestic-international transfer would be for the bags.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 12:55 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by zhaobao
Interesting question. I know for international-to-international most KA/CX ground agents would recommend against a through check for the simple reason that.... the passenger has to go through immigration and customs in BJS / PVG even for an international transfer. PRC airports were not designed with international transfers in mind and baggage handlers, even seeing interline bags, would ignore them and load them onto baggage carousel. It would be interesting to know what domestic-international transfer would be for the bags.
PEK used to be like that for international-to-international transfers before T3 opened, but is it still that way? I supposed that should be changed now for PEK, and even PVG.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
PEK used to be like that for international-to-international transfers before T3 opened, but is it still that way? I supposed that should be changed now for PEK, and even PVG.
This is exactly what happened in December 2008 when my parents were checking in at HKG on KA to Beijing, connecting to AC to Toronto. Even though there is interline agreement, the ground staff at KA didn't think the baggage handlers would obey the luggage tag and recommend my parents NOT to through check and go through immigration/custom in Beijing. They had plenty of time to spare though.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:43 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
This is exactly what happened in December 2008 when my parents were checking in at HKG on KA to Beijing, connecting to AC to Toronto. Even though there is interline agreement, the ground staff at KA didn't think the baggage handlers would obey the luggage tag and recommend my parents NOT to through check and go through immigration/custom in Beijing. They had plenty of time to spare though.
I did not realise that. It is better to be safe. It is not going to work for those requiring visas. This is when a HuiXiangZheng is handy.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 8:39 pm

As I've mentioned above, similar situation, however, the agent recommended me to check thru instead, but she asked me to dobule check with another airline (before I board to next flight) to confirm the bag has been gone thru. I think they are able to locate the bag in some way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.