Wiki Posts
Search

Edinburgh - G&V vs Radisson Blu

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2015, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: whatever it takes
Edinburgh - G&V vs Radisson Blu

planning to use an ecert for 2016 in Edinburgh.

Any thoughts on RBlu vs G&V Royal Mile?

G&V is more costly, but it looks too pastely/feminine for me. RBlu is being renovated and hopefully it's done by when I go. Old worldish building too, like a castle.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 1:25 am
J_B

Programs: BA Silver, Club Carlson Gold, Best Western Platinum, Bodean's Q-Card
I've stayed at the G&V - I get what you mean about the decor but it's easily the nicest Carlson hotel I've stayed in.

Numerous reports on here say CC members get free breakfast at the Blu though. The Blu might look old but it's actually a mid-90s building made to look that way!
Old Oct 30, 2015, 2:30 am

Programs: HH Diamond, RR Platinum, BA Gold
I've never actually stayed in either hotel, since I actually live in Edinburgh. I've been in both though and would choose G&V every time. There are only three Quorvus Collection hotels in the world so why wouldn't you stay there on a freebie!
Old Nov 1, 2015, 7:47 pm

I stayed at the Blu in September and did not receive free breakfast as a card holder.

Room was large but not particularly memorable. And as far as it being "castleish", that's only on the outside. Inside it looks like any other hotel.

I'd do G&V.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:34 pm

Stayed at G&V in October

Excellent hotel. One of the few hotels we've stayed in where the room design and fittings seemed like someone actually tried them out before building the room. And the slippers are black lol
Old Nov 13, 2015, 9:09 am

Stayed in the Blu this summer. Renovations were underway, but far from complete. There wasn't any noise or construction visible, but we were in a non-renovated room the first night (and only the first night). It wasn't very good.

We requested to be moved to a renovated room, which was much, much better - no complaints at all. But as others have mentioned, it's really just like any other Blu hotel on the inside - very modern, not in any way reflective of the castle-like exterior. That's not a problem, just be aware.

The location is great, we weren't offered breakfast as CC cardholders (maybe we should have asked?), and the staff is friendly & helpful. We did get upgraded to a business class room. If you're driving, be aware that simply getting out of the garage and off the royal mile could take quite a while. One day my wife forgot something in the room and realized it while we were waiting to turn onto the royal mile. She made it to our 5th floor room and back, in no hurry, and I had moved a full 12 feet. I think one day it took half an hour from the time we got in the car until we got off the royal mile. Not Radisson's fault, just the way traffic works around there.

Last edited by bobert24; Nov 13, 2015 at 9:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.