Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canceling the Club Carlson Visa card affects the upcoming stays booked earlier?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2015, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - Platinum; Starwood - Platinum; Alaska - MVP75; IHG - Platinum; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Gold

Since the second free night benefit is gone using the club carlson visa signature card, I am thinking to cancel the card.
Before June 2015, I made quite a few reservations for July next year in Norway. My question is: If I close this card, will there be any issues when I check-in at these Radisson properties next year in Norway?

My wife and I have this card & $75 annual fee for this year and next year seems to go waste if I keep this card open. That is $300 in annual fee.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:42 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
But, you also get 160K for the $300.... I would take that deal any day of the week. Only wish it was possible to get all those points at that price for every person on here who said they were cancelling their card.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kay_jay
Since the second free night benefit is gone using the club carlson visa signature card, I am thinking to cancel the card.
Before June 2015, I made quite a few reservations for July next year in Norway. My question is: If I close this card, will there be any issues when I check-in at these Radisson properties next year in Norway?

My wife and I have this card & $75 annual fee for this year and next year seems to go waste if I keep this card open. That is $300 in annual fee.
Club Carlson said No, the reservation stays the same even the card is cancelled, according to a supervisor I talked to several weeks ago.

And yes, the fee is not justified because the benefit becomes minimal. Unless you MUST stay t a Club Carlson hotel, otherwise, there are plenty of alternatives that you can choose from with similar cost (the equivalent of 160K/$300) for same number or even more nights. People who keep thinking about it would still get you a night cheaper than pay direct, need to realize that, they do NOT have to stay at a Club Carlson hotel which often is inferior to other chain hotels, but not necessarily cheaper. Frankly many US customers would not ever consider Radisson Blu had they not had the Club Carlson Visa 241 benefit.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 19, 2015 at 7:34 pm
Old Jul 20, 2015, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Happy
Club Carlson said No, the reservation stays the same even the card is cancelled, according to a supervisor I talked to several weeks ago.

And yes, the fee is not justified because the benefit becomes minimal. Unless you MUST stay t a Club Carlson hotel, otherwise, there are plenty of alternatives that you can choose from with similar cost (the equivalent of 160K/$300) for same number or even more nights. People who keep thinking about it would still get you a night cheaper than pay direct, need to realize that, they do NOT have to stay at a Club Carlson hotel which often is inferior to other chain hotels, but not necessarily cheaper. Frankly many US customers would not ever consider Radisson Blu had they not had the Club Carlson Visa 241 benefit.
One main benefit is in some locations Radisson is the only chain in town or 1 of 2 3 tops.

So for someone like me who likes leaving their hotel and being very close to the main tourist places w/o having to jump in a cab or take public transport, means keeping the card as 5pts per $1 means a 70K top cat hotel is only $14k in MSing or apx $120 net net, needless to say alot less for the non cat7s.

Im basing this on hitting Eastern Europe or Scandinavia where many US chains are sorely missimg and if there then 1 location, while there maybe several CC props

I admit they arent Hyatts or close to it, but they do serve their purpose.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA - Platinum; Starwood - Platinum; Alaska - MVP75; IHG - Platinum; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Gold
Thanks. I would like to chat with a supervisor as well before canceling the card. I don't want to get into any issues when I check in at the property 1 year later.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kay_jay
Thanks. I would like to chat with a supervisor as well before canceling the card.
I would prefer to hear from someone who canceled the card and has stayed on a last night free award to find out if there were any issues.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Richard1148
I would prefer to hear from someone who canceled the card and has stayed on a last night free award to find out if there were any issues.
Ok, will do.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
One main benefit is in some locations Radisson is the only chain in town or 1 of 2 3 tops.

So for someone like me who likes leaving their hotel and being very close to the main tourist places w/o having to jump in a cab or take public transport, means keeping the card as 5pts per $1 means a 70K top cat hotel is only $14k in MSing or apx $120 net net, needless to say alot less for the non cat7s.

Im basing this on hitting Eastern Europe or Scandinavia where many US chains are sorely missimg and if there then 1 location, while there maybe several CC props

I admit they arent Hyatts or close to it, but they do serve their purpose.
Because the former life of Club Carlson is SAS Radisson, and of course you know SAS is the Scandinavia airlines.

The chain is a strange breed - it has very very few presence in Asia yet it has a ton of properties in India - probably a result of buying something there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.