Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions on where to book a room in UK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Suggestions on where to book a room in UK

I have about 87000 points that are about to expire by the end of January. So I'd like to book a room for as many nights as I can within the points limit over the Christmas period. I'd prefer not to drive more than around 100 miles from London. Can anyone suggest any particular hotels? Would probably be myself, my wife and our youngest daughter (11 years old) staying. All things being equal I'd like to visit a place with historical interests.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
If you wanted value for 'money', I'm pretty sure the Park Inn Cardiff is just 9000 points per night.

For places to visit in general, CR is somewhat restrictive as their hotels are mostly in cities.

Southend on Sea has a Park Inn - hotel won't be amazing but nice if you fancy a seaside jaunt - pier, theme park, afternoon tea, shops.
Guildford has an RBE which could be nice if you've not been there before. Town centre, shopping, etc.
A few properties in Birmingham - fantastic German Christmas market there this time of year.

Other than those, your only real option close by is London itself, or Bristol. I'd like to say Southwest, Southeast or East Anglia, but sadly no Carlson properties to be found there.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
My main two experiences with cheaper Club Carlson properties in the UK are Solihul and Bedford. The Solihul one isn't too far from a station, to get into Birmingham, but you wouldn't be popping back mid afternoon for a quick pitstop. The Bedford one is right on the river, some quite nice views (especially as the hotel is one the ugliest buildings in Bedford, so if you're in it you can't see it...), 10 minutes walk from the station, some very nice walks from right outside.

I really like the Radison Blu in Edinburgh, great location right on the Royal Mile, handy for most things, friendly staff etc, but you'll burn through your points a lot faster there...
Old Dec 7, 2014, 2:36 pm
Community Director Emerita

Do not feel you have to consume all the points by then. One activity will extend their life.

Gold Points do not have an expiration date as long as your account remains active by earning or redeeming within a 24 month period.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:30 am

Stayed at the Radisson in central london in March. No recognition of gold membership, no welcome gift and took for ever to get the room. tiny elevator. Location was the only thing I liked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.