Wiki Posts
Search

Need help re: getting walked

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Need help re: getting walked

My brother has been staying in the Radisson in Rochester for about a month now for work. He needs to continue the stay, but has been told that the hotel is overbooked and he has to leave. What should he do/say/ask for/expect in this situation? He has silver status due to his credit card, if that makes any difference. I'd appreciate your advice. Thanks.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: none
Make a new reservation for the next part of the stay. That's what "reservations" are for.

Or, contact the hotel manager ahead of time, explains what it is that he wants, then try to negotiate suitable deal.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: Don't you know who I am????
I wouldn't count on Silver status for much (though he may already be Gold by virtue of nights stayed). Was the hotel not aware of his intention to stay over? Does he have any kind of reservation showing arrival and departure dates?

He MAY have some leverage as inn-keepers laws in some states and cities do not permit a guest who occupies a room from being required to leave as long as they remain current with room and incidental charges. However these laws typically are silent on what the property can charge for a room night, so a property could raise the room rate to force a guest out, and this certainly isn't going to win him any fans amoung the property staff.

The property may have been blocked out or fully booked for the dates in question some time ago, in which case he should have been informed of the necessity to move at check in.

Even without a reservation I would think the property would be more than willing to assist with relocating him for a few days and as Allan38103 said, I would think a discussion with the GM would result in a reasonable solution. But he should make a reservation for the remaining days of his stay.

Best of luck
Old Dec 1, 2014, 9:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
In some places, hotels don't allow stays of more than 28 or 30 consecutive days as it establishes tenancy or something, giving the person many more rights and requiring eviction. Not sure if this might be factoring in.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Dec 1, 2014 at 11:04 pm Reason: Damn you, autocorrect.....
Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
If a hotel denies a request to over stay, that is not "getting walked".
Old Dec 1, 2014, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Situation seems odd. I got more info. He does have a reservation through the 16th and the front desk has already rekeyed his room for the extended stay - his company is paying for the stay on a corporate contract. The booking manager left a voice mail telling him that the hotel is overbooked for this weekend because of a music festival and he has to leave on the 4th. His partner in a different room (also being paid by the company) got the same voice mail. I checked online - hotel can't be booked for the 4th. If the hotel is overbooked, and if someone's going to get walked - shouldn't that be someone checking in vs. someone already staying there? Maybe the suggestion about the stay being over 30 days has something to do with it - Thursday will be day 33. He's going to talk to the manager tomorrow.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 11:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I'd have the corporate travel office deal with this. Kicking out someone with a res is pretty tacky.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: none
As in most disagreements in modern society, if the hotel sees a financial (business) benefit in having the guest move temporarily so that they can honor a different reservation, AND the original guest is willing to accept some level of compensation for his inconvenience, then there is a dollar figure they can arrive at that will make both sides happy.

It's called "Negotiation Skills 101".
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Yes, of course. I was just wondering what you all thought would be reasonable. He's willing to move to the airport hotel for the weekend but would like some points in return for his flexibility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.