Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Club Carlson Bonus Award Night - Differing point amounts = no last night free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Tried to redeem an award stay for 2 nights and get the last night free with points, have multiple CC Visa accounts however can't seem to get it to work on any and unfortunately the Club Carlson line is closed. Any ideas? Anyone else having the issue or just my small subset of accounts?

Edit: After a lot of frustration, mainly due to Club Carlson being closed, I found that the hotel in question actually had different points rates for different nights in the reservation I was trying to make (33k for 1 night, 44k for the next). Due to this mismatch, the award night would not apply. Going to have to call CC and complain and hopefully they can force it to work in the morning.

Last edited by nrdk; Nov 11, 2014 at 9:30 pm
Old Nov 11, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by nrdk
Tried to redeem an award stay for 2 nights and get the last night free with points, have multiple Visa accounts however can't seem to get it to work on any and unfortunately the Club Carlson line is closed. Any ideas? Anyone else having the issue or just my small subset of accounts?
Just tried it, no issue seeing the free last night.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond
Not sure where to post this question since there is no newbie thread. For the CC free nights, does the following work for a 5 night stay at the same hotel: award booking for 2 nights (2nd free) then a paid night, then another award booking with 2nd night free.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:31 pm
Suspended

Tried to redeem an award stay for 2 nights and get the last night free with points, have multiple Visa accounts however can't seem to get it to work on any and unfortunately the Club Carlson line is closed. Any ideas? Anyone else having the issue or just my small subset of accounts?
You need the Club Carlson Visa, not any old Visa card.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JoJo12
Not sure where to post this question since there is no newbie thread. For the CC free nights, does the following work for a 5 night stay at the same hotel: award booking for 2 nights (2nd free) then a paid night, then another award booking with 2nd night free.
Not sure, but if you throw your wife/SO in the middle with their own account, it will.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:54 pm

Yes, I could put my SO in the middle, but then we would have orphan points sitting in his account. I will do that if someone else doesn't respond that my idea has worked for them. We don't really want to change hotels in the middle of our Bangkok stay, but that would be another option since there are 4 Club Carlsons there.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
You need the Club Carlson Visa, not any old Visa card.
Yup, realize that, I have a personal and biz account and my brother has the same. Thanks for the answer though.

Found that the back to back nights have differing point values, so I'm guessing that's what is causing all the issues. Of course Club Carlson closed at 6 PM CST so they won't be of help until the morning.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Just a follow up, wish I could edit thread title but doesn't seem to want to take.

Long, long story short (3 reps long) I ended up finding a guy that knew what he was doing. Apparently there was a 25% off point promotion that does not stack with the last night award free promotion that took the total points to 33k from 44k. This was not added by choice, but instead forced on all points stays, so it overrode the last night free promotion. He was able to book under the 44k rate, use the last night free, and get my brother all sorted out for his stay.

It was pretty incredible how frustratingly wrong and bullheaded the first two reps were, both refused to believe I knew what I was talking about, insisted it was an inventory issue despite there being open award nights, and refused to transfer me to someone else. Bad initial experience with Club Carlson reps given the limited hours of operation and poor customer service to start.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:03 am
Suspended

Just a follow up, wish I could edit thread title but doesn't seem to want to take.
Send a PM to JPDX the moderator and advise him how you would like it to read.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:57 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Send a PM to JPDX the moderator and advise him how you would like it to read.
Done, thank you!
Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:11 pm

Yes, I could put my SO in the middle, but then we would have orphan points sitting in his account. I will do that if someone else doesn't respond that my idea has worked for them. We don't really want to change hotels in the middle of our Bangkok stay, but that would be another option since there are 4 Club Carlsons there.
Yes, you should be able to put a paid stay in the middle (with three different reservations), however, you could also have your SO reward night in the middle (or two reward nights on nights 3 and 4 if they also have the visa and do what you want with night 5). There is no reason to have orphaned points in their account. You can transfer between accounts as often as you like for free, as long as you are silver, gold or concierge, which you would be if you have the credit card.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I've done this on numerous occasions in the past, it will take 3 separate reservations. First one is the 2 night award (2nd free), second reservation is the paid stay. Final reservation is the other 2 night award, (2nd free). I will also recommend that when checking in, mention it to the check in agent that you have other reservations, so no need to check out and check in again for the 2nd and 3rd reservation and keep the same room.

I do not understand your comment about not having your SO do the other reservation and end up with orphan points on his account, as CC allows you to transfer points between accounts. Nothing wrong with that option either.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:07 pm

Thanks for the responses. I did not realize that they so easily permitted transfer of points. I just did that with Marriott and it was a very trying experience that involved actual faxing. I will just make 3 separate reservations.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:42 am
Suspended

Long, long story short (3 reps long) I ended up finding a guy that knew what he was doing. Apparently there was a 25% off point promotion that does not stack with the last night award free promotion that took the total points to 33k from 44k. This was not added by choice, but instead forced on all points stays, so it overrode the last night free promotion. He was able to book under the 44k rate, use the last night free, and get my brother all sorted out for his stay.

It was pretty incredible how frustratingly wrong and bullheaded the first two reps were, both refused to believe I knew what I was talking about, insisted it was an inventory issue despite there being open award nights, and refused to transfer me to someone else. Bad initial experience with Club Carlson reps given the limited hours of operation and poor customer service to start.
I wanted to stay at a cat2 (I think) 15k per night but they have it down to 11,250 per night so the B1G1 doesnt apply Why blow 22,500 when it should be 15k. Just booked using pts with a different cahin. Guess the B1G1 is when theres no promo award going on
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
I wanted to stay at a cat2 (I think) 15k per night but they have it down to 11,250 per night so the B1G1 doesnt apply Why blow 22,500 when it should be 15k. Just booked using pts with a different cahin. Guess the B1G1 is when theres no promo award going on
Yea, I was about to that point but instead went with the HUCA method and got a rep who knew how to correctly remove the 25% promo and apply the B1G1 promo instead, so worked out for the best after a lot of unnecessary hassle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.