Wiki Posts
Search

Washington D.C. HELP??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2014, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, IHG Platinum
Washington D.C. HELP??

I am looking to go to Washington D.C. with the family in July. I seen a couple of properties... Radisson Hotel Reagan Airport in Arlington, Va. and Country Inn Suites at Camp Springs (Andrews Air Force Base) Camp Springs ,Md.

Has anybody stayed at these properties? The prices were pretty good, but I want to be able not to have to drive to far to attractions in D.C.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
I stayed one night at the Radisson near National airport a couple of years ago. It was fine, and is a good location for DC tourists since you can take the metro into DC.

Camp Springs, MD, honestly, I don't really know exactly where it is despite living in the DC area over 20 years, but I'm pretty sure it is nowhere near DC and would be very inconvenient for a tourist.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Bump.

Anyone got any more information? Which Radisson is best for tourism in Washington?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 4:16 pm

Ditto Raddison National Airport. Use subway station nearby (15 minutes to DC). You do not want to drive in dc. Parking is expensive and limited. Subway stations are near all sites. This hotel is also near other amenities. others hotels are not.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:06 am
Suspended

Thanks!!!
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by rmott1
Ditto Raddison National Airport. Use subway station nearby (15 minutes to DC). You do not want to drive in dc. Parking is expensive and limited. Subway stations are near all sites. This hotel is also near other amenities. others hotels are not.
I know this is a little older but to help anyone else looking the Radisson Reagan. Its a five min walk to the yellow line subway in Crystal City. You are two stops from DC and the mall area. Two blocks from the hotel are many restaurants and a CVS. We spent a few days here when visiting DC and it was the perfect location. We plan to stay here again!
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:43 pm
Suspended

and you can get to everything via subway?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by dc2447
and you can get to everything via subway?
For someone coming from London, I think you will be under-impressed by transit options, but Washington DC is better for public transportation than most major US cities and the Metro connection to Reagan National Airport is particularly convenient. Many points of traveler interest can be reached by the Metro system, and the bus system reaches most of the rest. The Camp Springs Country Inn and Suites mentioned in an earlier post is located near Andrews Air Force Base, which is much further away, but it is near the Branch Avenue metro station.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:36 pm
Suspended

we are indeed staying at the Reagan National Airport - still pondering if a car makes sense when taking in all the tourist stuff
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by dc2447
we are indeed staying at the Reagan National Airport - still pondering if a car makes sense when taking in all the tourist stuff
No, at least in the city. Parking is very expensive. If you do not want to ride the metro, take a cab. Likely to be as cheap or cheaper in the long run than renting a car and paying for parking. And much less hassle.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, IHG Platinum
Thanks for the suggestions...

I am booked for April at the Radisson In Largo,Md., it is in a business park about 9 miles out of D.C. It has a pool which is good for the kids and is close to a metro stop which the hotel will shuttle you to. The one at Reagan, the pool won't be open that month. The metro line I will be traveling brings you right through to the Mall, so I will have plenty of options to stop off at.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dcaplette
I am booked for April at the Radisson In Largo,Md., it is in a business park about 9 miles out of D.C. It has a pool which is good for the kids and is close to a metro stop which the hotel will shuttle you to. The one at Reagan, the pool won't be open that month. The metro line I will be traveling brings you right through to the Mall, so I will have plenty of options to stop off at.
FYI: That hotel was just sold and the new owner has the option to continue with Radisson or de-flag at some point.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The only Club Carlson property which I would recommend for tourists coming to the DC area would be the Radisson DCA airport one (which is in the Arlington-Crystal City neighborhood on Jefferson-Davis Highway). No car needed for the DC tourist attractions, as the Metro and taxis or buses work just fine to get into reasonable walking distance for everything touristy in DC.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:50 am

Although I live in Alexandria, I stayed at the Reagan National Radisson a couple of times when they were giving away free nights and it was nice, the rooms were nice, the pool is outside on top of the garage on the third floor, I think.

The only places that are difficult to get to on the Metro are Georgetown and National Harbour. Not sure if either interest you (or why they would particularly) but you can take the Blue/Yellow line to King Street in Alexandria and take the free shuttle to the water and catch a water taxi to either, or to Mount Vernon if you want.

Just a note of warning on the DC Metro, while generally fairly convenient, it runs somewhat sporadically (waiting 10-15 minutes for a train is not as unusual as you would like off-peak) and pricing varies. Paper farecards cost an extra dollar one-way, and prices are different for peak and off peak, and from station to station.

So King Street to L'Enfant = $2.35 SmarTrip, $3.35 farecard from 09:30 to 15:00 and after 19:00 M-F and all-day weekends and $3.35 SmarTrip, $4.35 farecard otherwise. A one-day pass is $14.50 per person.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:09 am
Suspended

Thanks IkeEsq - thats really helpful

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.