Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommended London Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Are you asking about the city (greater London), which these are pretty much smack dab in the middle of, or The City, the area of London with the original city borders, which is now pretty much entirely the financial district of London?
to Buckingham Palace?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:56 pm

From PP Westminster its probably about a 15 min walk to the Palace, and 25 mins from Plaza on the River. Both are very nice walks, especially in the summer.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 10:46 pm

Based on reviews, Plaza on the river is the best hotel available, if you are unable to walk a bunch, maybe its not the best choice but the view of the river has to be worth something. It comes with a kitchen, and a big room.

I have not been to plaza on the river yet but my previous stay in london was a tiny tiny room.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: A few
A lot of decisions to be made here! I am planning a trip for this December so won't be nice and summery warm so am put off by the Plaza on the River location though the 600+sq ft suites for 75k per night are mighty tempting.

Anyone with any experience of getting two adjoining rooms at The May Fair? That would put us up at 100k per night but would at least be in the thick of it all. Would need to book up before the up-coming deval. Sorry to be clear it's two adults and two kids aged 10 and 12 by then

And philemer as a former Putney resident am curious what you ended up doing? I enjoyed living there though it was only a brief 6 months back in my youth. Used to love watching Concorde fly over each night around 10pm like clockwork

Last edited by ma91pmh; Feb 19, 2014 at 1:03 pm
Old Feb 19, 2014, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by ma91pmh

And philemer as a former Putney resident am curious what you ended up doing? I enjoyed living there though it was only a brief 6 months back in my youth. Used to love watching Concorde fly over each night around 10pm like clockwork
My trip isn't until late Sept. so haven't decided yet. A kind friend offered us his flat in Putney but the commuting may eat up a lot of each day. So since I have CC pts (also SPG, HH and Hyatt) I might as well use them and be in the "thick of things". Make sense? Sometimes I doubt my decisions.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know this is the CC Forum but I'd like to pose a question. If you had enough points to spend 4 nights at an SPG, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott or CC in London which would you pick? Assuming you want to be near Mayfair or Trafalgar area.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
I know this is the CC Forum but I'd like to pose a question. If you had enough points to spend 4 nights at an SPG, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott or CC in London which would you pick? Assuming you want to be near Mayfair or Trafalgar area.
I would use CC because london/europe has CC's best redemtion options, US is only soso
Old Feb 19, 2014, 5:47 pm

Pick the Mayfair using Calson card (get free night). Close to Buckingham Palace (walk thru Green Park). Easy access to tube for visiting other sites. Food good, also nice clean upscale neighborhood
Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: A few
My trip isn't until late Sept. so haven't decided yet. A kind friend offered us his flat in Putney but the commuting may eat up a lot of each day. So since I have CC pts (also SPG, HH and Hyatt) I might as well use them and be in the "thick of things". Make sense? Sometimes I doubt my decisions.
Much as I have a soft spot for my former home, it is a commute. You are probably better off in central London unless you really want to get more of a "native" vibe. Though even then when I lived there Putney was really just an Australian refuge

CC seems to be the best pick in London.... lots of well located properties at reasonable redemption levels
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rmott1
Pick the Mayfair using Calson card (get free night). Close to Buckingham Palace (walk thru Green Park). Easy access to tube for visiting other sites. Food good, also nice clean upscale neighborhood
With The May Fair & Plaza on the River going up to Cat. 7 (70K pts) on 3/15 I better hurry. At least make a speculative award. Thanks, all, for the feedback.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:25 pm

Can anyone confirm the May Fair has been renovated recently?
Old Mar 22, 2014, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How would you handle 3, two days each, reservations (mine, hers, mine)?
Email the hotel a few days in advance and ask them to "merge" them? Contact Club Carlson?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:07 am

How would you handle 3, two days each, reservations (mine, hers, mine)?
Email the hotel a few days in advance and ask them to "merge" them? Contact Club Carlson?
Don't ask to merge them. Email and ask if you guys can stay in the same room for all 6 nights.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: CC Concierge,HH Diamond, Melia: Platinum, Hyatt : Platinum, Hertz: Gold
With The May Fair & Plaza on the River going up to Cat. 7 (70K pts) on 3/15 I better hurry. At least make a speculative award. Thanks, all, for the feedback.
Bloomsbury is a lot better value imo
Old Apr 13, 2014, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA, WN, BA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I'm trying to decide between Park Plaza Sherlock Holmes and the Park Plaza County Hall. I'm CC Gold from the US credit card and staying 2 nights (May 9-11) on points, with second night free due to the credit card. There is an e-standby upgrade at the PP Sherlock Holmes for an Executive room, Studio room, or Loft suite. The Studio room looks pretty nice, and it's about $46 a night extra.

Any recommendations?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.