Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Radisson Canmore, AB - Flood Damage?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Exclamation Radisson Canmore, AB - Flood Damage?

I did not see a master thread on the Radisson in Canmore, Alberta, but I was wondering if anyone has an update on the post-flood status of this hotel and the surrounding area?

Canmore was hit pretty hard by the Calgary-area floods last week, and on the Fairmont forum they are saying that Canmore was hit especially hard. I know that the roads to Calgary and to Banff were both reopened a few days ago, but I cannot get a status update on this hotel. The hotel's website does not have any information listed on it, either.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does the hotel show as bookable for tonight, tomorrow night, etc?

I don't know how Club Carlson handles this.

I have an upcoming reservation at the EconoLodge in Canmore, which is part of the Choice family. Their website on the day of the floods had a red notice (as is common on the Choice website for special announcements) that the hotel was closed for 3 days. When it was scheduled to be open, that notice disappeared, and it has been bookable for that night and the following night ever since.

So were you checking this hotel's website during the flooding (around June 21/22/23), or did you only look now? If you only look now, it's harder to tell. (I was able to tell that the EconoLodge was back in business because I checked back then, saw a note back then that it was closed, and then saw that that note has since disappeared.)

At this point, you may have to call the hotel directly to figure out if there's any remaining impact.

In general, I haven't heard of hotels in Canmore being signficantly damaged. I mostly read stories about people being stranded in those hotels, and the instant "moat" that formed around the hospital. (I was checking Google News for "Canmore" during the flood and for several days afterwards.)
Old Jun 30, 2013, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
My reservation is not until next Friday, and since I had not received a response from the hotel, I called them today and everything seems to be in working order. ^ The hotel itself was not touched by the floodwaters and none of the grounds were either, but the tap water is still not safe to drink and they are still boiling it for cooking and drinking.

The front desk agent got a laugh when I suggested that it would just be like visiting Mexico.

Seriously, he stated that the road that I will be taking - from YEG Edmonton Airport down to Calgary, around the main ring road, and then up to Canmore is completely open and running normally. The road from Canmore to Banff Springs is now open but just with one lane, so there are some delays...but since he stated that the drive to Banff is only about 25 minutes, these delays will be minimal and the road is expected to be completely open for all lanes by week's end. The Icefields Parkway up to Jasper is completely open as well. Good news!
Old Jul 2, 2013, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theblakefish
My reservation is not until next Friday, and since I had not received a response from the hotel, I called them today and everything seems to be in working order. ^ The hotel itself was not touched by the floodwaters and none of the grounds were either, but the tap water is still not safe to drink and they are still boiling it for cooking and drinking.

The front desk agent got a laugh when I suggested that it would just be like visiting Mexico.

Seriously, he stated that the road that I will be taking - from YEG Edmonton Airport down to Calgary, around the main ring road, and then up to Canmore is completely open and running normally. The road from Canmore to Banff Springs is now open but just with one lane, so there are some delays...but since he stated that the drive to Banff is only about 25 minutes, these delays will be minimal and the road is expected to be completely open for all lanes by week's end. The Icefields Parkway up to Jasper is completely open as well. Good news!
Thanks for the news.

And what a coincidence, my reservation (though at the EconoLodge) in Canmore also starts Friday! I'm approaching smilarly, though I'm flying into YYC (Calgary airport).
Old Jul 5, 2013, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theblakefish
The hotel itself was not touched by the floodwaters and none of the grounds were either, but the tap water is still not safe to drink and they are still boiling it for cooking and drinking.
I checked into the EconoLodge (a few blocks down the road; the Radisson was the first hotel I noticed coming into town from the south end) today at 4 pm, and they had photocopied signs they were handing out to arriving guests saying:
Boil Water Advisory Has Been Lifted.

* As an extra safety precaution please run tap water for at least 5 minutes before consuming.
I don't know if these sings were made by my hotel or whether it's signs that are being distributed to all establishments in town.

By the way, I ate at Chez Francois (which is in the same building as the EconoLodge) tonight, and they still said they could only give me bottled water. (It was very nice of them to charge me only $1 for that bottle.) Better safe than sorry, I guess!

According to http://511.alberta.ca/ab/en.html (which is the site that a Calgary CAA office recommended for monitor road issues in Banff/Jasper), there are one-lane-instead of two closures north of Canmore in a few places, but only one of them seems to be related to the flood, the rest seem to be longer projects that started before the flood and were always expected to last long past now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.