Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold member room upgrades???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:08 pm

At Radisson Brussels I was upgraded without being a Gold, because I made a mistake making me unhappy and the reception wanted to make me happy (and also of course because they had a suite available)
I was told by an employee of this hotel about one strategy to get an upgrade : book the inferior category of what you would like, and phone to ask if they could upgrade you to what you would like.

Originally Posted by niksal
I contacted Club Carlson, as I had another crappy experience, this time at the Radisson Blu Royal in Brussels. I asked at the same time about upgrades, and I got the answer that nothing has changed. According to the mail I got:

"...the benefit of room upgrade does not apply in Europe, Middle East and Africa, but the rest of the world. In this part of the world a Gold Elite-member is guaranteed the best room in the category booked (better view, recently refurbished room, bigger room, etc.), whereas a Concierge-member will always get a room upgrade to the higher room category (providing there are any higher category rooms available of course)."

So regardless of what is said on the webpage, these seem to be the rules. In other words, nothing has changed, and me not getting any room upgrades is what I should expect. The rest of you are just lucky :P
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:11 pm

Is it true there is still discount on food for Club Carlson gold ? I thought I was just entitled to a free bottle of mineral water.

At Radisson Vilnius center I was upgraded from businnes room to a suite (the best in town according to the receptionnist), but I arrived after midnight so they knew they would not sell it anyway. Also they knew me.

Originally Posted by trvllvr123
I'm a new gold member and have just returned from a few nights in london where I asked about being entitled to a room upgrade. I was told, after they had spoken to a manager, that I didn't have enough points and the only thing I was entitled to was a discount on food! Is that right. I'm there again on Monday and wondered whether it's worth asking again?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Club Carlson Silver, HHonors Silver
In Basel gold members still get 15% off meals.
Never got any free water, tho.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by duncani1629
In Basel gold members still get 15% off meals.
Never got any free water, tho.

Do you have to show your gold card ? I was asked for it at Radisson Lietuva Restaurant. As I have gold status due to status match I never received any card.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 6:58 am

Programs: More shiny with hotels than airlines.
Originally Posted by trvllvr123
I'm a new gold member and have just returned from a few nights in london where I asked about being entitled to a room upgrade. I was told, after they had spoken to a manager, that I didn't have enough points and the only thing I was entitled to was a discount on food! Is that right. I'm there again on Monday and wondered whether it's worth asking again?
My personnal experience with Club Carlson (and formerly Goldpointplus) is that the program is pretty good for me, but never works automatically. And in general, staff is not knowledgeable of it (I do understand why they made these new mouse pads at the front desk !).

- Upgrades were not an EMEA benefit of GPP but is now with CC (and another reason to confuse the staff...) but this makes no difference : with either the old or the new program, I never receive an automatic upgrade and am always given one when I ask for it, pointing out Gold status.

- 15% discount on food was a benefit of GPP which is now discontinued. I am not surprised that staff ignores it in some properties and keep applying it. Many properties in the past also made up their own rules on alcohol (no discount, 5% only, 15% as listed....)

- Week end extend (one of the nicest benefit for me) sometimes charged for both nights at some properties, but always corrected by the front desk.

So, just ask, I find them usually not too difficult (I was even given a wonderful suite in Paris and in Milano).
Old Aug 10, 2011, 3:56 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Hyatt Privé, Impresario, Four Seasons, Marriott Stars, Kempinski, Accor STEP, SLH, IHG,etc
Originally Posted by KiwiRob
They must not like you, I also mainly stay in Scandinavian and Russian hotels, I always got an upgrade as Gold Elite and am getting even better rooms as a Concierge, I normally casually ask if a room upgrade is possible, most of the time they respond with "you are already upgraded sir".

Also take a look at the new mouse pads they have, on them is the details on what all the various status levels entitle you to.
That's also been my experience. I used to get upgrades as a Gold Elite most of the time (sometimes I didn't want one, long story) and as a Concierge Elite I've had 100% success. I asked if a complimentary upgrade was available at the Radisson Blu in Prague last week and was told I had been upgraded to a Junior Suite but if I wanted the Presidential Suite the could look into it (at a price, I guess) but I was too tired to wait and accepted the Junior Suite. The art'otels in Berlin and Budapest also upgraded me to XL rooms. All my bookings were redemptions :-)
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by steveuk
That's also been my experience. I used to get upgrades as a Gold Elite most of the time (sometimes I didn't want one, long story) and as a Concierge Elite I've had 100% success. I asked if a complimentary upgrade was available at the Radisson Blu in Prague last week and was told I had been upgraded to a Junior Suite but if I wanted the Presidential Suite the could look into it (at a price, I guess) but I was too tired to wait and accepted the Junior Suite. The art'otels in Berlin and Budapest also upgraded me to XL rooms. All my bookings were redemptions :-)
Do you ask sometimes for the upgrade or is it purely an initiative from the hotel ? If you ask when do you ask ?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 6:31 am

Programs: RA Platinum, GoldpointsPlus Elite, HH Gold VIP, Sixt Platinum, *A Gold, TK ElitePlus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by vilntrav
Do you ask sometimes for the upgrade or is it purely an initiative from the hotel ? If you ask when do you ask ?
My humble experience with Goldpoints/Carlson is that you get what you ask for. I usually send an e-mail upfront, refer them to their webpage if they respond negatively, and insist back during check-in if e-mails did not work. If there is someone responding back positively about upgrade, I document it and present it as proof. each step takes only takes few minutes and you have nothing to lose.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 6:37 am

Programs: RA Platinum, GoldpointsPlus Elite, HH Gold VIP, Sixt Platinum, *A Gold, TK ElitePlus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by serkan
My humble experience with Goldpoints/Carlson is that you get what you ask for. I usually send an e-mail upfront, refer them to their webpage if they respond negatively, and insist back during check-in if e-mails did not work. If there is someone responding back positively about upgrade, I document it and present it as proof. each step takes only takes few minutes and you have nothing to lose.
Even when all efforts did not end up in a free upgrade, it is possible they offer you an upgrade at a reduced priced (which happenned to me twice) and then it is up to you to choose to pay for the added benefits or not. E.g. I could get the upgrade at Raddisson Cologne at the price of a breakfast - which I would anyway have - for a much better 2-room suite with terrace and in-room breakfast and movies included.

They want to make extra cash when they have almost no added cost.

Last edited by serkan; Aug 12, 2011 at 6:39 am Reason: Typo
Old Aug 12, 2011, 9:40 am

Programs: More shiny with hotels than airlines.
Originally Posted by serkan
Even when all efforts did not end up in a free upgrade, it is possible they offer you an upgrade at a reduced priced (which happenned to me twice).
I would not appreciate that. One of the listed benefits of gold members is "Room upgrade upon availability". I understand they cannot guarantee it in case the hotel is full, but if they offer an upgrade for money, it means they DO have availability.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: Club Carlson Gold, AMEX Platinum, EBG
Sometimes I really have to shake my head at the stupidy of Club Carlsson and my good fortune, last week I had three award nights at the Radisson Royal Garden Trondheim, not only did they upgrade me to a suit they also gave me full points, concierge 75% bonus points and the online booking bonus. I'm really scratching my head over that one.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:47 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Hah! Had my first REAL upgrade in a long long time. This time it was Radisson Blu Plaza in Oslo, where I got a Business Class room. I don't stay very often here, but I think I was upgraded here the last time as well.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 6:31 am

As Gold Member I just used my free night from the promotion at the radisson blu milan and got upgraded to business class room with club lounge access and free breakfast, no in room welcome gift.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 7:33 am

I was upgraded from Business class to best suite of the hotel at Vilnius Radisson.
Hint : I arrived at 1 a.m so they did not have much hope to sell this suite at full price
(it was a one night stay)
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:36 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Fims
True, but you can check from the website before check-in their situation.
What you see is not what they see.

Originally Posted by dparkinson
Anyone had any success in Paris? I'm coming from SPG where suite upgrades are fairly common, ESP at less busy hotels. Any chance of a suite with CC?
Yes, I got it every time I was there.

Originally Posted by WORLDWIDE TRAVELER
As Gold Member I just used my free night from the promotion at the radisson blu milan and got upgraded to business class room with club lounge access and free breakfast, no in room welcome gift.
Did also get free upgrade on "points" stay recently.

Generally, I have been Gold for nearly three years now, and did not get free upgrade only once, in Stockholm. It was on the weekend of horse races and the hotel was completelly full. I have got free upgrade on all other stays...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.