Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any advice for St. Lucia and Barbados?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2016, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Any advice for St. Lucia and Barbados?

We will be arriving in St. Lucia and staying in Soufrière for five nights on December 24th. We have a villa rented and the owner runs a travel company and had set up transportation to and from the airport and can provide tours as well. If you have any advice what to do, see, eat, and bring into St. Lucia that would be great. Wasn't sure if we should buy alcohol coming in at duty free at the airport? Maybe champagne.

Then flying on to Barbados for 6 nights near Rockely beach. We are mixed on if we should rent a car. I've heard hit or miss things about renting as the prices are high and maybe not as easy to drive around? If you have any advice on what to see, do, eat, or take with us let us know.

Thanks!
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
We will be arriving in St. Lucia and staying in Soufrière for five nights on December 24th. We have a villa rented and the owner runs a travel company and had set up transportation to and from the airport and can provide tours as well. If you have any advice what to do, see, eat, and bring into St. Lucia that would be great. Wasn't sure if we should buy alcohol coming in at duty free at the airport? Maybe champagne.

Then flying on to Barbados for 6 nights near Rockely beach. We are mixed on if we should rent a car. I've heard hit or miss things about renting as the prices are high and maybe not as easy to drive around? If you have any advice on what to see, do, eat, or take with us let us know.

Thanks!
I've driven in both places. While everywhere has their own idiosyncrasies when it comes to driving, I would classify both places as relatively easy. The only thing I've noticed about Barbados is that cars tend to slowly nose out from sidestreets or laneways to force their way into traffic.

If you are in the Rockley area you will not need a car unless you want to go exploring. There are many, many restaurants in the area all reachable on foot. If you do rent a car, beware of rush hour. Yes, I know it's the Caribbean, but morning and evening rush hour in and out of Bridgetown can be frustrating.
--
13F
Old Nov 16, 2016, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
I've driven in both places. While everywhere has their own idiosyncrasies when it comes to driving, I would classify both places as relatively easy. The only thing I've noticed about Barbados is that cars tend to slowly nose out from sidestreets or laneways to force their way into traffic.

If you are in the Rockley area you will not need a car unless you want to go exploring. There are many, many restaurants in the area all reachable on foot. If you do rent a car, beware of rush hour. Yes, I know it's the Caribbean, but morning and evening rush hour in and out of Bridgetown can be frustrating.
--
13F
Any suggestions on what to see or do in Barbados? We aren't the type to lay around at resorts all day sipping on a drink in a cabana... lol We picked the Rockley area because there were a few good beaches and a lot of restaurants within walking distance. We live in San Diego and I surf and bodyboard a few times a week. Looking forward to doing the same in Barbados. We were thinking of renting a car or just paying for a taxi to find more secluded beaches on the southwest part of the island.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Any suggestions on what to see or do in Barbados? We aren't the type to lay around at resorts all day sipping on a drink in a cabana... lol We picked the Rockley area because there were a few good beaches and a lot of restaurants within walking distance. We live in San Diego and I surf and bodyboard a few times a week. Looking forward to doing the same in Barbados. We were thinking of renting a car or just paying for a taxi to find more secluded beaches on the southwest part of the island.
You can body surf at Rockley Beach, but you will find bigger rollers on the east coast.

Oistins Fish Fry (Friday nights?), the Gap for more bars and restaurants, there is a cave to visit (haven't been there), the Crane Resort area is away from the tourist crowds, ...
--
13F
Old Nov 27, 2016, 4:32 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Remember that driving is on the left in Barbados. IDK about St. Lucia.
In Barbados I was offered a taxi so many times, it was annoying. Even when walking on a sidewalk in Bridgetown & headed straight to open the door of a store to enter! Even within 10 seconds after getting out of a taxi while walking 20--30 meters to my destination!
In St. Lucia, someone asked me at a red light or stop sign if I was lost & offered directions. He answered my ?? then demanded money! Traffic was so heavy, I could not get away, so I gave him perhaps EC$3 = US$1.10.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
You can body surf at Rockley Beach, but you will find bigger rollers on the east coast.

Oistins Fish Fry (Friday nights?), the Gap for more bars and restaurants, there is a cave to visit (haven't been there), the Crane Resort area is away from the tourist crowds, ...
--
13F
South coast before east coast, IMO.(for body surfing)
Do enjoy the Crane area, and Cutters. (Saturday and Sunday pm live p/u music)
Speightstown has a decent museum and Orange Street Grocer has amazing "pizza oven" style pizza.
Holetown has nice entertainment and food options at night
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan
Remember that driving is on the left in Barbados. IDK about St. Lucia.

In St. Lucia, someone asked me at a red light or stop sign if I was lost & offered directions. He answered my ?? then demanded money! Traffic was so heavy, I could not get away, so I gave him perhaps EC$3 = US$1.10.
Driving is on the left in St. Lucia

And I've heard a few of those instances of people asking for money in St. Lucia. Just say thank you and roll the windows up
Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by el aye
Driving is on the left in St. Lucia

And I've heard a few of those instances of people asking for money in St. Lucia. Just say thank you and roll the windows up
We had no issues like this. We stayed in Soufriere, so we never saw any traffic... begging.. or a traffic light. Airport transfers are ~$60-65 each way to the town. We walked to the main beach and were able to negotiate a water taxi to Sugar Beach and Anse Chastanet Beach for about $5 per person. You have to time it right by finding a water taxi full of people from the cruise ship.

I believe an 8 hour day tour was $150 for two people. Probably would have been the same price if we added more people. We were able to tell them all the places we wanted to see and they provided unlimited Piton Beers.

The only draw back is that getting a ride is unreasonably pricey. Roundtrip to Jade Mountain for a meal they wanted $40. The same with the beaches. My advice would be to pay to be dropped off at Sugar Beach... spend some time there, take a water taxi to Anse Chastanet Beach. Have lunch there and snorkel. Then go and have drinks up at Jade Mountain for the sunset and save yourself $300 on dinner. We went to Jade Mountain for lunch and it was
reasonable at ~$100 with drinks and desert w/ the meal and tip.

The roads were no where as bad as people made them out to be. The road to Jade Mountain/Anse Chastanet Beach was the only bad road and you really only have to be super careful after a rainstorm.

One highlight would be taking a private guided horse ride with Atlantic Stables. They take you on a few beaches and they give you the option to "swim" with the horse.

If you are there for more than 4 nights I would get a car to explore the island. The only benefit of paying for a tour is that you have someone that can maximize your day... and you get to drink and relax and let them do all the driving. In Soufriere, taxi drivers ask way too much money for rides. I think one asked for $25 for a 5 minute journey and then was only willing to drop it down to $15.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.