Connecting from Virgin Gorda at STT

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Connecting from Virgin Gorda at STT

Hi All,

We'll be going back to V.G. at Christmas to visit my wife's family, leaving on 12/26 and returning home on 1/1. We'll be flying to STT and connecting to/from VIJ. Outbound, we will be chartering a plane as Air Sunshine is already booked. On the return, we can take a flight at 10:30 (arrival around 10:45) or 12:30 (arrival around 12:45) for a 2;50 pm flight.

I'd rather take the 12:30, but is that cutting it too close at STT? To the extent it matters, we'll be flying in J on AA.

Thanks!
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:35 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
IME clearing at STT is pretty quick. I think you'll be fine.. the bigger concern I'd have is with Air Sunshine themselves, since they do occasionally run on island time.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkt
IME clearing at STT is pretty quick. I think you'll be fine.. the bigger concern I'd have is with Air Sunshine themselves, since they do occasionally run on island time.
We've had good luck with Air Sunshine in the past, which probably means we're due for a total cluster$%*&.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:42 pm
mkt

I'm about 50/50 with them.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 9:08 pm

11 to 3pm is peak time at STT. The customs area and TSA security can get very crowded--especially on weekends.
I would suggest the earlier flight. Air Sunshine does fly on "Island Time".
I have owned a 2nd home for 35 years on St John
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks all. I'm going with the earlier Air Sunshine flight. If we get through I&C and check-in quickly, we'll see about finding a beach bar nearby to relax before going through security.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:04 am

I agree with Sugarbird, the STT airport warrants extra time. Even in off season, I have witnessed 2+ hours to get through C&I, security and to the boarding area.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:03 pm
mkt

Originally Posted by Lovethecabin
I agree with Sugarbird, the STT airport warrants extra time. Even in off season, I have witnessed 2+ hours to get through C&I, security and to the boarding area.
Wow. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never experienced any wait times close to that at STT.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Lovethecabin
Have also experienced ridiculous wait times at STT.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:44 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
STT has horrible service - both from the airline counters themselves and CBP.

Even if you are flying first class or are a preferred member and get to cut the line, wait times are out of control. Id suggest arriving early.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
STT has horrible service - both from the airline counters themselves and CBP.

Even if you are flying first class or are a preferred member and get to cut the line, wait times are out of control. Id suggest arriving early.
Very true. We fly out of STT once or twice a year (at least once during high season, sometimes during off season) and the only times we breezed through was when we flew one of the regional carriers, in the morning, to PR for our connection.

Using a porter can help but is not a guaranty of speed. A porter will jump the line, get your boarding pass and send your through a dedicated C&I line. All of this gets you past the crowds but security can be ridiculous. We stood in line for 45+ minutes last trip and this was after a less than 15 minute porter experience from taxi to clearing C&I.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.