Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5 Days in St John - Should I rent a car?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2012, 9:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Car Worked for Us

Thanks to everyone for providing help. Read Pulley's post 5 hours prior to picking up car. Spoke with Marriott concierge and his opinion was don't need a jeep so long as you're not going "bushwhacking Indiana Jones style". Roads to most popular beaches are paved and fine. So with that, off to Avis (cruise dock location). $12, 5 minute taxi from Marriott; told Avis would reimburse the fare.

Assigned a Kia Forte . . . woman at the counter was anything but friendly. Mentioned I couldn't get coupons to work online--she replied you have to call Avis & ask to add them prior to picking up car. Really frustrating for a week rental not getting any bonus perks, but a couple of people are now in line behind me. Outside to see just what a Forte is and observe the tires are nearly bald. Rain-slicked, hilly roads goes through my head; Mr.Steph58 says don't worry about it. Off to Red Hook ferry, get there just as they start to load. Back on, rear bumper scrapes (slightly), remind myself not to worry. While sitting there remember I forgot to ask Avis for taxi reimursement. Very nice ferry ride over, I go on top to enjoy the view.

Easy to get off the ferry but didn't have a clue which way to Westin. First encounter with downtown Cruz Bay roads, one-way, driving on left, pedestrians & hills is a bit of a gulp. Praying that the brakes are in better shape than the tires. After going around for a bit ask someone which way, then see it's on the St. John map. Not too bad, we find Westin and spend the next day just enjoying the amenities there. Notice everyone else's rental parked in the Westin's lot has bald tires too.

Venture out on the 2nd day to visit all the beaches on Route 20. Couldn't find a parking spot in Cruz Bay (Friday 10:30 a.m.) so went to Mongoose Junction to eat (plenty of parking). Onto the beaches and stopped to ohhh and ahhh at each. Went as far as we could on that road (to Annaberg). Something tells me not to venture to Coral Bay in a car, so we don't.

Next day spent at Trunk Bay. Today in town at Cruz Bay (got lucky & found parking--Sunday). Tomorrow more snorkeling/beach and then last day boat trip to Jost Van Dyke from Westin.

Taxis are readily available and I think, when totalled, probably would end up being about the same cost as this car for two. Parking is nearly impossible in Cruz Bay. No rain so far. In the Trunk Bay parking lot I counted 7 cars out of (?) 40, so most people do rent jeeps.

For us the car is working. With a jeep we'd be able to venture further out, but for 7 days we're okay taking it easy. I can see where you'd need it if staying at a villa with those steep driveways. Or if you want to go to a beach off the beaten path. In a few days will need to get ourselves back to STT. From the taxi ride in, I am anticipating it'll be a bit of a driving adventure. Will allow a lot of time (flight is 2:45 so that's good). Told by Avis to provide receipt for gas--will do.

But the last thing I want to do right now is think about going home--St. John is gorgeous and wonderful!
Old Oct 9, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Glad you're enjoying St. John. I agree that it's jaw-droppingly beautiful. I cannot understand people who would travel there and stay at their resort the whole time.

Enjoy the rest of your stay. It's starting to really cool down here in Ohio and I can hear the islands calling me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.