Shipping a car across Canada?!?!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

My sister-in-law, is moving to Alberta after Labour Day. She will need her car at the new job.

The question is how does the car go there. She can drive - but she prefers not to have to do that, if other feasible options are there.

Can one ship a major item such as an automobile with AC - if so, what might be the cost from let us say YOW to YEG?

What are the costs and practicalities and limitations of shipping via alternate means - ie by moving companies vans, or via train, or via other means?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
We've relocated many times within Canada (with our vehicles) and used a company-provided moving service. Each time our vehicles were moved via flatbed truck from one part of the country to another.

I would think that shipping by air would be VERY cost-prohibitive, and given that the moving service that organized everything for us used overland, I would think that would be your most cost-effective option. This moving service organizes moves for tens of thousands of people annually so I'm guessing that they've probably researched the best options.

Edited to add that the companies involved in this are insured; one time there were some minor scratches on one of our vehicles, probably happened during the loading/unloading process, and the problem was fixed quickly and without complaint.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Another option is to sell the car and buy a new one at the destination.

Just something to consider.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:15 pm

Just Google "auto shipping" and you'll find lots of options.

My company used Livingston (http://www.livingstonintl.com/servic...ransportation/) to ship my car across the continent, although I have no idea how much it cost.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Exotic cars are shipped by air from the factory.

Everything else by sea/land. Either shipped by train/truck, or have someone drive it over for you.

Just google.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:29 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
If you use a moving company such as Allied or United, they will actually put he car on the moving truck with you stuff.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by catgirl
We've relocated many times within Canada (with our vehicles) and used a company-provided moving service. Each time our vehicles were moved via flatbed truck from one part of the country to another.

I would think that shipping by air would be VERY cost-prohibitive, and given that the moving service that organized everything for us used overland, I would think that would be your most cost-effective option. This moving service organizes moves for tens of thousands of people annually so I'm guessing that they've probably researched the best options.

Edited to add that the companies involved in this are insured; one time there were some minor scratches on one of our vehicles, probably happened during the loading/unloading process, and the problem was fixed quickly and without complaint.
What is the name of the company you have used?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:32 pm

Car will have to go through the Alberta safety inspection. So everything needs to be in tip-top shape.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:40 pm

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
My grandpa moved from YHZ to YEG this summer and shipped his mini can via CN. it only was about 1800
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
What is the name of the company you have used?
http://www.lhf.com/

This is the company I would use for a longhaul North American vehicle transfer . I'm in the automotive field but have no affiliation with Hansen's
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:45 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
www.autorail.com
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:49 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Still waiting for my June 27th Segment to post

I think I would have taken some affirmative action by now.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:41 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by Sopwith
Still waiting for my June 27th Segment to post

I think I would have taken some affirmative action by now.
+1 - I'm waiting for 3 segments though (well the bonus miles for double AQM)

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Another option is to sell the car and buy a new one at the destination.

Just something to consider.
Or don't buy a car at all and just rent 100% of the time. That's what I do. With my corp rate it's $34/day all in with Enterprise/National, $174/week, or $600/month - if you have the right corporate rate Lots of advantages - no maintenance, brand new cars, you can swap cars instead of cleaning, you can swap if you get bored, you can just do one-way to airport instead of paying for parking, you can taylor the car on your needs at the time (SUV one week, mid-size the next), no need to worry about insurance if you get a speeding ticket etc. I don't think I'm ever going to own a car - this is truly a life changer.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 6:14 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Just an interesting factoid (or cost reference point?). LAN flies vehicles to SCL-IPC for about $2k as cargo. Have size limit so you see many small jeeps on Easter Island.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
It's a 3 day trip so I would just recommend driving, maybe take a bit longer and see a few things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.