Community
Wiki Posts
Search

15-hr overnight layover in YVR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Question 15-hr overnight layover in YVR

I will be visiting Canada for the first time in the form of a 15-hr layover in YVR, arriving at 2:30pm on NH and departing for SFO on AC 6:30am the day after (both on J award tix). I plan to explore the city a bit and head back to YVR before midnight.

Some questions:
  • NH told me that because my AC departure is the next day, I would have to pick up my bags at YVR and re-check them. Can I check my bags with AC after arrival or do I have to wait until the next morning? If next morning, how early are they open?
  • Given that I would need to go out and pick up my bags, will I be able to use any of the MLL or Plaza Premium departure lounges after arrival?
  • Many people seem to recommend the Fairmont Hotel, but I can't bring myself to spend $350 for a short sleep. Its website says the Health Club is opened to club members 24/7, so I assume I would be able to use it after midnight (without staying) if I join the President's Club?
  • Any sightseeing recommendation in Vancouver after dark?

Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Last edited by ithinkurdumb; Aug 10, 2017 at 9:24 am
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:45 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

AC allows up to 12 hours before departure to check-in your bags.

You should be able to use the lounge since technically your NH boarding pass is the same day.

To be honest, there are a number of hotels close to YVR that has shuttle service for less than $200 USD. I stayed at the Holiday Inn Vancouver Airport for about $140 USD back in June for one night. So personally I would pick up my luggage, take the hotel shuttle and check-in, then take a taxi around Richmond since it's fairly close. You can also take the train all the way to downtown Vancouver for cheap. Lots of restaurants, bars, and clubs to go to. If you head to Vancouver early enough, there's plenty of light to check out Stanley Park, Granville Island, and etc.
ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
The Pacific Gateway Hotel is the closest to the airport and often has good rates, including a free shuttle. My other go-to hotel near YVR is the Four Points Sheraton in Richmond. They also have a shuttle and are quite close.

I thought Air Canada would only accept your bags up to four hours prior to departure and this being a 6:30 flight, probably when check-in opens, but I'm no expert on that as I seldom check bags or go to the airport early.

If you're coming in international, I don't believe you can use the MLL since you'll be shuffled straight to customs and immigration.

After dark in Vancouver you can still walk the waterfront. If you check your bags or check into the hotel and then head downtown on the skytrain, go to Waterfront Station and then walk along the waterfront from there and you can go right down to the entrance to Stanley Park with streetlights. Granville Street and Robson Street are safe to walk and have some dining options.

You can probably get downtown with plenty of time before dark depending on the time of year and do a stroll through Stanley Park.

Have fun and welcome to Canada.
ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
AC allows bag drop 4h before departure, not 12.
ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Seems like summer weekend nights are more expensive - IHG member rate for Holiday Inn was about CAD300 and event Accent Inn is asking CAD220.

Now I plan just to store my bags at the left baggage facility, head to Vancouver and head back to the airport and wait a few hours until the left baggage facility opens at 5 to check in and take a shower at MLL. Will also try my luck convincing NH staff to through check my bags to SFO to make things a bit easier.

Thank you all for the replies. That was really helpful!
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
The Pacific Gateway Hotel is the closest to the airport and often has good rates, including a free shuttle. My other go-to hotel near YVR is the Four Points Sheraton in Richmond. They also have a shuttle and are quite close.

I thought Air Canada would only accept your bags up to four hours prior to departure and this being a 6:30 flight, probably when check-in opens, but I'm no expert on that as I seldom check bags or go to the airport early.

If you're coming in international, I don't believe you can use the MLL since you'll be shuffled straight to customs and immigration.

After dark in Vancouver you can still walk the waterfront. If you check your bags or check into the hotel and then head downtown on the skytrain, go to Waterfront Station and then walk along the waterfront from there and you can go right down to the entrance to Stanley Park with streetlights. Granville Street and Robson Street are safe to walk and have some dining options.

You can probably get downtown with plenty of time before dark depending on the time of year and do a stroll through Stanley Park.

Have fun and welcome to Canada.
Incorrect, the closest hotel to the airport is the Fairmont - it's literally the only hotel IN/AT the airport and the only one within walking distance, every other hotel requires a shuttle. OP already mentioned it so I assumed you meant it's the closest NOT called Fairmont? Of those with shuttles, the Pacific Gateway is the closest though - just across the bridge from the Westin, though all the ones around that area have very similar shuttle times.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Incorrect, the closest hotel to the airport is the Fairmont - it's literally the only hotel IN/AT the airport and the only one within walking distance, every other hotel requires a shuttle. OP already mentioned it so I assumed you meant it's the closest NOT called Fairmont? Of those with shuttles, the Pacific Gateway is the closest though - just across the bridge from the Westin, though all the ones around that area have very similar shuttle times.
Of course the Fairmont is the closest being in the terminal, but he had ruled that out, so my advice was that the closest next option was the Pacific Gateway, which IMO provides great value. I'm not sure about their regular rates, but they offer a $99 government rate which is the best value I've seen in Vancouver. The catch in YVR IMO is the busy months when hotels go from very affordable to crazy expensive. I routinely get quoted $99-139/night in March only to be told $500/night for the same hotels in July.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
Seems like summer weekend nights are more expensive - IHG member rate for Holiday Inn was about CAD300 and event Accent Inn is asking CAD220.

Now I plan just to store my bags at the left baggage facility, head to Vancouver and head back to the airport and wait a few hours until the left baggage facility opens at 5 to check in and take a shower at MLL. Will also try my luck convincing NH staff to through check my bags to SFO to make things a bit easier.

Thank you all for the replies. That was really helpful!
AirBnb?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's input. So I survived my layover and hopefully these data points can help someone in the future.

ANA actually tagged my bags to SFO instead of YVR or my last US destination, which is strange according to AC staff. However someone greeted me at YVR telling me I need to take my bags out and recheck the next morning.

The baggage storage facility can get full. I had to wait until 4pm to be able to store my bags. Luckily with the 8pm sunset I managed to see most things I planned to see in Vancouver and get back to the airport on the last train.

There are plenty of sitting and power outlets near the DL/AA check-in area to kill a few hours before checking-in.

I've been told the AC counter would open at 2:20am (4 hours before first flight at 6:20), 4am (the time United counter opens) and 4:30am (the time USCBP opens). However the AC counter was still closed when I got into security at 4:40am. I managed to drop my bags and go through security when they open at 4:30am because I already had my boarding pass and my bags were tagged to SFO.

The line was very long for both the bag drop and security. I was able to use the TSA Pre line with a C boarding pass (while the lady behind me was denied holding a F boarding pass).

MLL opens at 5am and I was lucky to get the single shower.
BERGBRLY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.