Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Noob Question about Canada Preclearance

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Noob Question about Canada Preclearance

My daughter will be traveling by herself from the USA to Canada and back again, and wants to know what to expect on the way back. In particular:

She will be flying on Air Canada from Winnipeg to California, with a change of planes in Calgary.

Both Winnipeg and Calgary have US Customs/Immigration preclearance.

(1) Would she expect to go through preclearance in Winnipeg, or in Calgary?

(2) She is not Global Entry, but it appears that neither Winnipeg nor Calgary are equipped for Mobile Passport. Is that correct?

Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
1) In Calgary
2) No idea what a mobile passport is
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks - I'll let her know she'll be going through immigration in Calgary.

As for mobile passport - it's a phone app that provides Global Entry-like benefits to persons who are not in the Global Entry program, but it is not available everywhere that Global Entry is available. By registering with Customs and Border Protection through the app, and inputting your travel plans a few hours ahead, you (usually) get to go through an expedited line at immigration, and don't have to fill out the paper form.

See https://mobilepassport.us/
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Be sure the layover, assuming all on 1 ticket, in Calgary is a decent amount of time to allow for preclearance. No mobile passport option.

Your daughter shouldn't have any real issues assuming she is a US citizen.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:24 am
Original Poster

She's a US citizen (AND Canadian!), but her time from landing to takeoff is just a bit under an hour, so I guess she'll have to hustle. Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:42 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by F. Ly Bailey
She's a US citizen (AND Canadian!), but her time from landing to takeoff is just a bit under an hour, so I guess she'll have to hustle.
It has been a while since I went through US Immigration and Customs at YYC, but it took well over half hour. Don't know if they now have the automatic kiosks like YVR, which would no doubt help.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by F. Ly Bailey
She's a US citizen (AND Canadian!), but her time from landing to takeoff is just a bit under an hour, so I guess she'll have to hustle. Thanks!
You likely know this but Canadian citizens now have to have a Canadian passport to enter Canada. At least by air.

I believe American citizens may have the same restriction actually.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
You likely know this but Canadian citizens now have to have a Canadian passport to enter Canada. At least by air.

I believe American citizens may have the same restriction actually.
Actually Canadians who hold a US passport may fly with their US passport, it's the only general exception
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
They now have the Automated kiosks in Calgary, there is no MPC in any of the Canadian preclearance locations.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by iamflyer
Actually Canadians who hold a US passport may fly with their US passport, it's the only general exception
Quite correct, my apologies I forgot this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.