Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Banks with extra ATM charges?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Banks with extra ATM charges?

In my search of the ATM topic in Canada, I mostly just see airport ATMs mentioned.

Driving from the U.S., entering in the Québec Eastern Townships, I'd like to make an ATM withdrawal using Capital One 360, which indicates no forex percentage. Could bank ATMs add their own extra charges? Cap One has the Allpoint network indicating no extra charges, generally in convenience stores. We'll be entering on a Sunday: do we have much risk of finding machines out of cash?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:42 pm

Most ATMs in Canada do charge an extra fee if you're not a customer of that bank. Fees can be anywhere from $1.50-$8 per transaction.

Most major convenience stores partner with major banks so their ATMs usually don't run out of cash.

If you're a Bank of America customer, you can withdraw funds at Scotiabank without any additional fees.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by B407
Most ATMs in Canada do charge an extra fee if you're not a customer of that bank. Fees can be anywhere from $1.50-$8 per transaction.
This. Sad but true.

Many of the larger towns in the Eastern Townships (Magog, Cowansville, St-Jean etc.) will have at least one branch of a major Canadian bank with outside ATM. I have never come across an ATM in Canada that had run out of money. Ever.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: A few, *G,
A note about the fee range. Banks tend to cap their fee to $2. The higher rates are from privately owned and operated ATM's. examples are portables at special events, ATM's inside a bar, etc. And a 2nd on the run out of money issue, I've never even heard of that happening.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
I have a UK card and when in Canada I use Scotiabank and TD as there free for my foreign card to use
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:59 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by surreycrv
A note about the fee range. Banks tend to cap their fee to $2. The higher rates are from privately owned and operated ATM's. examples are portables at special events, ATM's inside a bar, etc. And a 2nd on the run out of money issue, I've never even heard of that happening.
Not sure if you were just referring to the area of Quebec that the OP is traveling to, but earlier this week I was in the Niagara Peninsula in Ontario, and both a CIBC ATM as well as a ScotiaBank one charged $3.00 for ATM withdrawals. And these were at actual banks, not standalone ATMs.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by lo2e
and both a CIBC ATM as well as a ScotiaBank one charged $3.00 for ATM withdrawals
Another enhancement courtesy of the extreme competition amongst Canada's Big 5 retail banks
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
There's no such thing as Allpoint in Canada, so you won't find one anywhere. Major bank ATMs charge around $3 for withdrawals, some private operators may charge even more extortionate rates. Very few places in Canada take cash only unless you are heading to a remote area. Have you asked if you can order Canadian cash at your local bank branch before travelling?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

There's no such thing as Allpoint in Canada, so you won't find one anywhere.
Go to http://www.allpointnetwork.com/locator.aspx and enter the name of a city in Canada.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by rove312
Go to http://www.allpointnetwork.com/locator.aspx and enter the name of a city in Canada.
Ha! Well, I stand corrected. I've never seen this logo displayed before. In that case you should have no troubles.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lo2e
Not sure if you were just referring to the area of Quebec that the OP is traveling to, but earlier this week I was in the Niagara Peninsula in Ontario, and both a CIBC ATM as well as a ScotiaBank one charged $3.00 for ATM withdrawals. And these were at actual banks, not standalone ATMs.
When I don't use my own bank I typically see a charge of $3-$3.50
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:50 pm
B1

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Ha! Well, I stand corrected. I've never seen this logo displayed before. In that case you should have no troubles.
The list is mostly Petro-Canada gas stations and 7-11 stores. Both of these have their own pay as you go cell phone plans (PC Mobility and Speakout 7-11) that use unlocked phones, no contract and pay by the minute. And you can use your US cash card.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I would ditch CapOne in Canada and go with Schwab ATM card if you want to avoid ATM operator fee.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

I'm back from the couple of days in Québec, and was fine using the card at an ATM at a Petro-Canada station in Magog. The display warned of a $2 fee, but it wasn't charged. There were a few occasions on the trip where using a credit card was not an option. I wouldn't think of opening a new bank account for the occasional trip of a few days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.