Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Arizonan charged with firearms violations for bringing handgun to Toronto's CN Tower

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arizonan charged with firearms violations for bringing handgun to Toronto's CN Tower

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus

Your 2nd Amendment is null and void in Canada.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3401129/cn...rearm-charges/

Toronto police have charged a 26-year-old Arizona man after officers allege he attempted to bring a loaded handgun into the CN Tower over the weekend.

Erik Hall has been charged with unauthorized possession of a firearm with ammunition, carrying a concealed weapon and careless storage of a weapon.

Police said Hall is a registered gun owner in the United States and has a carry-and-conceal weapons permit in Arizona. He arrived in Canada on a flight to Toronto Pearson International Airport.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
It'd be interesting to know if this was an "honest mistake" or intentional smuggling. Of course Canada sees it as a serious violation either way, rightfully so. Americans who don't travel across the border often are probably ignorant about Canada's gun laws. Before I had NEXUS I think the CBSA asked me if I had any weapons every time I drove across the land border (although I don't recall them ever asking me that question at an airport.) I live in a very gun-friendly state but don't own any firearms.

Maybe the guy declared and checked the gun legitimately in his baggage at PHX as if on a domestic flight. One would think the airline agent would have known Canada's handgun restrictions, caught it, and not tagged the bag to YYZ, but it must have slipped through both the airline and CBSA.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by wahooflyer
It'd be interesting to know if this was an "honest mistake" or intentional smuggling. Of course Canada sees it as a serious violation either way, rightfully so. Americans who don't travel across the border often are probably ignorant about Canada's gun laws. Before I had NEXUS I think the CBSA asked me if I had any weapons every time I drove across the land border (although I don't recall them ever asking me that question at an airport.) I live in a very gun-friendly state but don't own any firearms.

Maybe the guy declared and checked the gun legitimately in his baggage at PHX as if on a domestic flight. One would think the airline agent would have known Canada's handgun restrictions, caught it, and not tagged the bag to YYZ, but it must have slipped through both the airline and CBSA.
I would think it would be ok for a properly licensed Canadian to bring their gun to PHX (Arizona's gun laws are extremely lax even by USA standards, AZ is the only place I've ever seen people open-carrying and I live in Texas ) and then bring it back to Canada. Also, Canada does allow visitors to possess firearms, so it would be improper for an airline agent to delay delivery of the baggage; it isn't their job to enforce Canada's rules, that is CBSA's job.

RCMP - Firearm Users Visiting Canada

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...visite-eng.htm

Option 1

Declare firearms in writing to a customs officer at the point of entry to Canada, using the Non-Resident Firearm Declaration (form RCMP 5589).

If there are more than three firearms, a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration Continuation Sheet (form RCMP 5590) should be added.The declaration form should be filled out prior to arrival at the point of entry, in order to save time. However, it should not be signed before arriving at the entry point, as a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) customs officer must witness the signature.A confirmed declaration costs a flat fee of $25, regardless of the number of firearms listed on it. It is valid only for the person who signs it and only for those firearms listed on the declaration.Once the declaration has been confirmed by the CBSA customs officer, it acts as a licence for the owner and it is valid for 60 days. The declaration can be renewed for free, providing it is renewed before it expires, by contacting the Chief Firearms Officer (call 1-800-731-4000) of the relevant province or territory.
Of course I am not a lawyer, nor a customs agent, and this isn't legal advice...but it does seem "ok" to bring a firearm to Canada if one completes the form and meets the requirements indicated.

That said, this clown likely didn't do any of that.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Of course I am not a lawyer, nor a customs agent, and this isn't legal advice...but it does seem "ok" to bring a firearm to Canada if one completes the form and meets the requirements indicated.

That said, this clown likely didn't do any of that.
There are provisions to bring firearms into Canada but not to carry it around loaded in a back pack while sightseeing.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Badenoch
There are provisions to bring firearms into Canada but not to carry it around loaded in a back pack while sightseeing.
Of course, hence why I called the guy a clown. FT TOS prevent me from using more accurate descriptors . I was simply responding to the quoted post concerning the actual bringing of a gun into the country of Canada, nothing more.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: A few, *G,
Major distinction between a hand gun and a rifle in Canada. Restricted vs permitted
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
It's on the declaration form everyone has to fill in. If he had declared it, CBSA would have checked him for a valid firearms licence w/restricted endorsement to bring the gun into Canada.

You would need an Authorization To Transport a restricted firearm anywhere, including home from the airport, which would not be issued without a valid purpose such as attending a target shooting competition or gun show in Canada.
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I would think it would be ok for a properly licensed Canadian to bring their gun to PHX (Arizona's gun laws are extremely lax even by USA standards, AZ is the only place I've ever seen people open-carrying and I live in Texas ) and then bring it back to Canada.
State laws aside, Canadians need an ATF Form 6NIA to temporarily import their firearms to the USA. Some lawful sporting purpose (NOT including self-defence) has to be provided such as a valid state hunting licence. Even Canadian who have a concealed-carry permit in one or more states can't use that as a reason to import a firearm into the country. If it's handguns or other restricted firearms, when you get home you will need a Short-Term ATT to bring it home from the airport.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Another gun toting American who didn't get the note that Canada is another country and the laws are different. He's lucky he only lost his guns.

http://www.soundernews.com/news/elev...-gabriola.html

Eleven firearms seized from U.S. sailboat moored at Gabriola

Gabriola RCMP seized 15 firearms on Thursday, May 18 from a US-registered sailboat moored at Page’s Marina.

RCMP contacted staff at the Canadian Border Services Agency, who confirmed that the family had not declared themselves, or the firearms.

The firearms were kept by the RCMP to be destroyed. The sailboat was directed to leave Canada immediately.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Eleven or fifteen guns?! Plus illegal arrival into Canada due to non-declaration to Customs/ Imm.??!! I'm surprised that the boat was not confiscated as an "Instrument of Smuggling" and that the sailor is not on his way to a few years in a Canadian "Correctional Centre!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.