Wiki Posts
Search

I need your expert help one more time - International connections in YVR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:31 am
Original Poster

I need your expert help one more time - International connections in YVR

Hello Forum,

I am still truly grateful of your help to assist me for last time.
When my friend of mine asked about very basic questions, my limited experience and knowledge failed me to find the right answer based on my poor searching technique, so I decided to bother you one more time.

My friend is visiting Canada for conference in June who has very limited idea about international traveling too.

His flight schedule is (all in business class);
30 May AC34 (ETA at YVR 30 May 07:30) then connecting to YUL AC300 (YVR ETD; 09:45, ETA at YUL; 17:26) on the same day.

Questions;
1. My understanding is that AC does not offer interline baggage handling service from Int'l to Dom, which means he has to pick up his baggage/s after immigration and to clear custom, then go for normal procedure to drop off the baggage while checking in at domestic counter. Is this correct?

2. As far as I understand, there is no shower facility at Maple Leaf lounge, are there any alternatives if my friend wishes to have a quick refreshment between the connecting time?

I know, these should be very basic things, but I have failed to find the right answer...

I appreciate any tips from experts.

Kind regards,
sushiinsyd
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: several
He won't have to go all the way to Domestic checkin to recheck bags. One usually collects their luggage at YVR Customs belt, then immediately upon departing that area (where you hand in your Customs form) you exit through the FIRST set of doors and there will be a AC "connections desk" where you rebelt your bags for onward destinations, including YUL. This is called the semi-sterile area, BEFORE exiting to the vast arrivals greeting hall where the public meets arriving pax.
He will then likely just head to Domestic departures security, not recheck at the domestic AC desks there.
Last I remember, YVR's Domestic Maple Leaf Lounge does actually have shower facilities. It is close to Gate C30 in the AC Domestic flights area, on the right side. Lounge itself is upstairs.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...unge@vancouver

Lastly, if he is travelling in J Class, he is entitled to AC' s Concierge Service, which are hugely helpful staff catering to only Intl Executive Class pax and Super Elite Aeroplan members. I cannot emphasize enough how helpful they are, in any situation! They will even meet your flight to greet you.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-services.html
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
#1 : as above

#2 : The domestic MLL at YVR does have showers. You need to ask one of the staff (or knock on the kitchen's door right by the buffet) to get the keys

Last edited by Jasper2009; Apr 14, 2017 at 10:26 pm
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your kind advice, jral and Jasper 2009.

As I remembered that international lounge at YVR did not have showers, so I thought I should make it clear.

I will pass onto my friend your very useful tips, particularly showers and concierge services.

Kindest regards,
sushiinsyd
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: several
The AC Concierge service is top-notch. If he has even any slight concerns about connecting at YVR, the AC34 flight attendants can sometimes even request a Concierge "gate meet" him, as long as the request is well prior to landing or before leaving SYD. It is really one of the best perks of AC's long-haul International Business Class service.

They also have AC Concierges at SYD, so they can personally assist him from the moment of check-in, right through through to boarding. Some of us on here fondly remember a wonderful former long-term Concierge at SYD named Robin. Unfortunately he had to retire early for health reasons and remains dearly missed by all whom he had ever helped over the years.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by jral
He won't have to go all the way to Domestic checkin to recheck bags. One usually collects their luggage at YVR Customs belt, then immediately upon departing that area (where you hand in your Customs form) you exit through the FIRST set of doors and there will be a AC "connections desk" where you rebelt your bags for onward destinations, including YUL. This is called the semi-sterile area, BEFORE exiting to the vast arrivals greeting hall where the public meets arriving pax.
He will then likely just head to Domestic departures security, not recheck at the domestic AC desks there.
Last I remember, YVR's Domestic Maple Leaf Lounge does actually have shower facilities. It is close to Gate C30 in the AC Domestic flights area, on the right side. Lounge itself is upstairs.
Are you coming from a 'safe airport'. Asking because I saw several job openings for AC agents working at the OSS facilities, and I wonder if it has been implemented at YVR...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.