Wiki Posts
Search

Transit in Toronto

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion, BA Gold, IHG Sapphire / Ambassador
Transit in Toronto

Tried searching but could not find an answer. Am traveling to USA via Toronto. Have a 2 hour transit on way into the USA (from U.K.) which I think is probably just about OK to do all the pre-clearance stuff in Toronto.

On on way back, I have a 5.5 hour stop in Toronto. Was wondering if its possible for me to leave the airport in Toronto - have dinner somewhere close by (but not inside the airport)? Is that possible with all the pre-clearance stuff that goes on?

Its pretty clear how stuff works when you are going to the US - seems streamlined. But little info on how the return journey works.

Any insights?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by centuk
Tried searching but could not find an answer. Am traveling to USA via Toronto. Have a 2 hour transit on way into the USA (from U.K.) which I think is probably just about OK to do all the pre-clearance stuff in Toronto.

On on way back, I have a 5.5 hour stop in Toronto. Was wondering if its possible for me to leave the airport in Toronto - have dinner somewhere close by (but not inside the airport)? Is that possible with all the pre-clearance stuff that goes on?

Its pretty clear how stuff works when you are going to the US - seems streamlined. But little info on how the return journey works.

Any insights?
When you say "transit", are you referring to "public transit?" If so, your options for a 5.5 hour stop are very limited.

We have the Union Express train that takes you downtown. It runs every 15 minutes and takes 25 minutes to get downtown from Pearson International. Factor in your dinner time, and you're jeopardizing everything.

It would be much cheaper for you to stay at the airport and select one of the restaurants there.

This is my opinion of course, and others may disagree, but I'd rather enjoy a nice meal stress-free, then worry about a missed connection.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
The UP Express train to downtown Toronto has a $12 "long layover" fare, if you are so inclined. I've been using it to grab decent food and coffee and stuff during my ~6hr layovers (also on the way to the UK).

It's a good way to check out the tourist sites if you are so inclined as well.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
When flying US -> YYZ -> int'l, the process is extremely simple: follow signs for int'l connections, a quick document check by a customs officer, no security check or other formalities, and you're on your way.

If you want to leave the terminal, you'd instead follow the signs for arrival, clear Cdn customs and immigration (and obviously you would need to clear security again before your flight).

Whether it's worth the trouble or a somewhat better dinner is debatable IMO.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
I think the main problem is that there are no great restaurants or things to see near the airport. That means your options are to either stay at the airport, or take the UPX downtown. It's about 25 minutes on the train, and they leave every 15 minutes. Add a few minutes to walk to the station, and say it takes you 45 minutes in each direction. That's 1.5 of your 5.5 hours gone. If you planned to be back at the airport 1.5 hours ahead of your return flight, that leaves 2.5 hours. Time to deplane and getting through Canadian customs can vary from day-to-day. Add in the time to walk from Union Station to your chosen restaurant, wait for a table, and you don't have a lot of time left to enjoy the dinner.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Although there aren't any memorable and unique restaurants near the airport there are some decent chains. The Keg or Moxies are both a 5 minute cab ride away. There are others as well if the OP is just looking for a sit down meal vs. the fast food that is supplied at the airport.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful replies. I have friends in Toronto who could pick up and drop. Rationale for dinner outside is effectively be able to meet with them as well - rather than trying to kill time @ airport. Question was more, can I leave the airport (i.e. Clear immigration in YYZ and then re-clear security to go back into the airport) or was that a big no when going US->YYZ->Int'l. Sounds like I can go out of airport if I wish in the 5 hours I have to kill.

Please advise if not the case. Thanks for all the helpful responses!
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Thanks for the helpful replies. I have friends in Toronto who could pick up and drop. Rationale for dinner outside is effectively be able to meet with them as well - rather than trying to kill time @ airport. Question was more, can I leave the airport (i.e. Clear immigration in YYZ and then re-clear security to go back into the airport) or was that a big no when going US->YYZ->Int'l. Sounds like I can go out of airport if I wish in the 5 hours I have to kill.

Please advise if not the case. Thanks for all the helpful responses!
No reason why you can't do that. Just pick a place close to the airport to maximize your time.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Tks all
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As this is more a Toronto question that Air Canada or Aeroplan query it's been relocated to the Canada forum.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:55 pm

In my opinion, 5 1/2 hours is not enough time. Why don't you simply find a restaurant in the airport and eat there. Or a lounge.

I do remember having a friend see me off at the Toronto airport. We weren't able to find any restaurants, so we just had a snack and were off. I wasn't planning to have him join me, but he'd never been in a limo and he wanted to make sure I got off okay.

Are you worried about being bored for 5 hours? I'd rather be bored than get caught in traffic in a friend's car or take far too long to eat.

If you want to eat at the Keg, it's just a chain steakhouse. Same with Moxies. I have only had a few memorable meals in Toronto, probably because, living in small town Alberta, I am only a few minutes drive from really good independent restaurants. If you are absolutely determined to eat at the Keg, I prefer the one on Bay Street. Bar is packed at 515, but the restaurant is nearly empty.

Chuck
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Got it. Tks
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
I think the main problem is that there are no great restaurants or things to see near the airport.
Depends on your definition of "great" but if the OP is going to end up at a Keg near the airport he/she would be better off taking a 10 minute cab ride to Zorros. It's not inexpensive but much better value than a Keg.

http://www.zorrossteakhouse.com/
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assuming a British passport, don't forget you need to do your ETA for Canada (like ESTA for the US).

As a Brit who is now not far from the airport, sure, go for dinner with friends somewhere - there are actually quite a lot of options within a 15 min or so drive, and I am sure your local friends will have their favourite places. There are lots of chain places that us locals now turn our noses up at, but I remember when I first moved to Canada I really enjoyed going to some of those chain places! They are different enough to the standard Nandos / Frankie & Bennies / Pizza Express in the UK that they are novel enough for a nice dinner.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I don't know what you guys are talking about. There's lots of good ethnic food near the airport. 5.5 hour layover, I would absolutely grab some hakka or kebab with a friend. Are these places that you would find on a "top 20 places to eat in Toronto" list - of course not. But I can think of half a dozen places within a 10-minute drive from the terminals that are solid, and meeting up with a friend you haven't seen in a while is priceless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.