Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best card for $50-100k CDN annual spend?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best card for $50-100k CDN annual spend?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Thread moved to the Canada Forum since it's not AC/AP specific.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:54 am
Original Poster

I've switched from staying at hotels to AirBNBs when travelling. I tend to spend 4-6 days at any given city, and it's nice having a full loft or condo, shop and cook with my spouse when we don't feel like eating out, and try to live like the locals. If it weren't for that, the SPG Amex would be by far the best card!

I used to have status on Star Alliance and Oneworld when I had frequent business class flights to London for work, but now I rarely fly for work and lost status. I think now the best way to spend the points would be on long haul business class flights (given I don't stay at many hotels when not travelling for work).
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My day to day card is a TD First Choice Visa Infinite. My bank waive the fee, making it a free card. You accrue points which you can either use via a TD Expedia site to make bookings (any airline etc.) or, what I do, is use the points as a credit to travel already taken (absolutely any travel, including outside of the usual airline and hotel - I redeemed for a ski pass, for example). It's not necessarily the best value card (1.5% depending on redemption method; 4.5% on travel booked through their Expedia site) but the sheer ease of use is what makes it my preferred card. No having to search for rewards space, or work out taxes and fees, or even plan - I can simply go online, or call them up, and have a credit applied to my bill in moments. In the past I have had airline specific cards and I just find this option better for my personal spending patterns. My second choice for primary card would be AMEX Platinum - a higher fee, but the benefits (lounge access, status in hotel programs, AMEX hotel benefits, travel credit, etc.) may make it worth it if you travel frequently (I travel far less than I used to so the $700 fee makes it less appealing these days).
Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
In regards to the SPG card get the personal one, then a few months later self-refer to a Biz SPG (get 10,000). Spend $40K on each card and you have 2 free weekend nights in a Cat 1-4 SPG property

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.