One-way ticket to NYC + Returning by land

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL

Hey FTers,

I'm booking a one-way ticket YYZ-LGA and will be returning by land (driving with friends) a few days later. I hold a Canadian passport with great ties here: house, jobs, phone bills, credit card statements. I, however, don't have proof of return travel because it will be on my friend's personal vehicle.

Will this be an issue? Appreciate your inputs.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:10 am

Won't be a problem.
Worse case scenario, buy a full fare o/w ticket back to Canada and have it refunded after you cross the border.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As this is a Canadian customs question instead of a specific Air Canada/Aeroplan query it's been relocated to the Canada forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL
Thanks for the response and the move. I have NEXUS and I usually don't speak to a custom officer, this should further minimize any issues, correct?

My concern is, will Air Canada let me check-in and board the plan? They should because US customs is at YYZ so it's not like they run the risk of having to fly me back if I get rejected entry once I landed at LGA.

Just trying to think through some scenarios here...
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
I'm sure you'll be fine. Probably a million or more people cross the border every day via car, with no return ticket. If you say you're meeting a friend and then driving back home with him, you should have no issue whatsoever.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks, all!
Old Dec 23, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
If you really want to be secure you can purchase a super cheap, such as Megabus' $1.00+cc fee, ticket from Buffalo to Toronto and just never use it.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
not a problem, JCFans

The only problem with this plan is you will pay a lot more $$$ to fly to New York, as compared to the return flight! The reason? Higher airport fees, surcharges and taxes.

I cross the border 6-10 times a year, and I am only (ever) asked the duration of my stay - & never the means of travel?
Old Dec 23, 2016, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
The only problem with this plan is you will pay a lot more $$$ to fly to New York, as compared to the return flight! The reason? Higher airport fees, surcharges and taxes.

I cross the border 6-10 times a year, and I am only (ever) asked the duration of my stay - & never the means of travel?
25 to 30 US entry per annum with Nexes. My experience with the US CBP questions were similiar to Antonio8069's.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I do one-way YYZ-TPA once a year and drive back in someone else's vehicle. The only problem I've had was on my next visit to the U.S. by air when I was asked how long I'd been in the U.S. during my previous trip. The air crossing puts you into their system but a land crossing in someone else's vehicle doesn't let them know that you've left America. Despite making this trip many times, I've only been asked once, the CBP accepted my explanation and it hasn't been a problem since.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.