Search

Canadian Air Passenger Bill of Rights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2016, 5:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If they're the same market, they why are the EU carriers cheaper?

Some travelers prefer their home country carrier, its food and service style, employees who share their
native language. They might need to connect to a smaller airline that partners or interlines with some particular TATL carrier. They might be subject to the Fly America Act or equivalent legislation/regulations. Employer policies might favor the national carrier.

EC261 raises costs for carriers that are subject to these regulations. Those costs are at least partially passed onto customers, either in the form or higher prices or as cost cutting measures in other aspects to compensate, so that the consumer is getting a lower quality product for the same price.
Are EC261/2004-covered carriers on US-EU city-pairs providing an overall lower quality product for customers in the market than carriers not covered by EC261/2004 on the same US-EU city pairs? I have seen no compelling evidence of such yet.

Are EC261/2004-covered carriers on US-EU city-pairs charging an overall higher price for customers in the market than carriers not covered by EC261/2004 on the same US-EU city pairs? I have seen no compelling evidence of such yet.

Are EC261/2004-covered carriers on US-EU city-pairs less profitable than carriers not covered by EC261/2004 on US-EU city pairs? Yes, but how much of that is due to regulatory capture is an open question. Regulatory capture isn't an entirely good thing for consumers, right?

A given market doesn't necessarily have just one market-clearing price defining it all at all times.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 8, 2016 at 5:51 am
Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:44 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
updating an informative thread

This is a very informative thread - on an issue all FTs are hopeful for. This comment - on the other hand - is misleading:

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Why do we have zero? If a flight is over sold, don't airline's in Canada offer compensation? The $ amount may not be to your liking, but they do compensate pax, so we are not at zero. Last winter, my flight from FRA was delayed 8 hours, AC gave hotel vouchers to all connecting pax. What would you call this?
Yes, AC does provide goodwill compensation - not by law. In this specific example, my guess is AC provided compensation because it was req'd to do so by EU law. Look it up.

Here in YOW, a Cabinet shuffle is due and Garneau may be on the move. In any event, he has shown no spine to take on AC.......he allowed AC to move its YUL maintenance base and - as others have suggested - my letters to Transport Canada about this issue have gone unanswered. Ditto for Harper....
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by https://airpassengerrights.ca/en/take-action/amend-bill-c-49/tell-your-mp-to-listen-to-the-senate
The Transport Minister has vowed to reject the Senate's amendments to Bill C-49. Senators voted in March to amend the government's bill by:
  • limiting to 90 minutes the time you may be trapped on the tarmac, instead of 3 hours; and
  • keeping consumer advocates doing their work, instead of letting the government silence them.
Why would the Transportation Minister try to prevent Gabor Lukas et al. from defending passenger rights ? It sounds like he cares more about airlines than passengers.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Why would the Transportation Minister try to prevent Gabor Lukas et al. from defending passenger rights ? It sounds like he cares more about airlines than passengers.
At times like this I wonder where funds for campaigning come from...
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
July 5 update

I attended the CTA consultation in YOW today (July 5). The Commissioner, Scott Streiner, said complaints have grown from 800 per year to 6,000 now. Based on his public comments, I would say he is leaning towards mandating that carriers provide better informaiton to passengers. Tomorrow (July 5) from 1-5 pm the CTA is holding a final consulation via teleconference. You can register on line at: In-Person and Call-in Sessions | Have your say: Air passenger protection

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.