Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian Air Passenger Bill of Rights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2016, 12:41 am

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by somedude3210
#3 - I'm a tall fat guy and I mostly disagree with this one. There are options for extra leg room and/or getting a PE or J seat. I do get hosed on Y-only planes when there's no option to pay for a bigger seat though.
But at what point does squeezing seats so close together reach a tipping point? I'm a short, small woman and even I find it ridiculous at this point. You have planes needing to be diverted because of passengers who break out into fights over recline vs. knee defenders. You have DVT and circulatory problems from people who can't move. You have passengers thrown off flights for being too wide for their seats, or spilling over into the next seats forcing their seat neighbours into half of theirs.

And the airlines have proven that there really is no end to it. Today it's a move from 34" to 31" pitch. Tomorrow, it could be 28", or 24", or everyone crammed standing up into a cargo hold. I mean, every additional ticket sold is more revenue, right?

I'm not suggesting that every passenger should be guaranteed a wide business class seat, but at bare minimum, people need to be able to reach the emergency exits in the case of an emergency evacuation of the plane. Surely there's a place for some sort of regulation here.

ETA: Advocates for a bill of rights in the US have been calling for this for a while.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by segacs
I'm not suggesting that every passenger should be guaranteed a wide business class seat, but at bare minimum, people need to be able to reach the emergency exits in the case of an emergency evacuation of the plane. Surely there's a place for some sort of regulation here.
This part actually is regulated. the aircraft can't be certified unless the manufacturer can show that the aircraft can be evacuated in 90 seconds using only half its exits.

(I suspect the test isn't done with "people of size" though and it isn't done with smoke present).

Here is a 777 evacuation test:
Old Nov 6, 2016, 2:59 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by The Lev
This part actually is regulated. the aircraft can't be certified unless the manufacturer can show that the aircraft can be evacuated in 90 seconds using only half its exits.

(I suspect the test isn't done with "people of size" though and it isn't done with smoke present).

Here is a 777 evacuation test:
777 Evacuation.mp4 - YouTube
If anything, the way these "tests" are conducted are in no way of representing the reality of emergency evacuation.

Scold me or whatever, its going to happen at some point with 450+ density on a 3-class 773, maybe not AC, maybe some other airline and we will find out just really if they meet the so called safety specs.
Keep in mind the Emirates flight that crash landed in Dubai only had 282 pax on-board.

In fact, just for the lolz, who here is actually willing to bet their house if tomorrow we choose any of AC's TPAC Flight on a 773 to conduct a emergency evac trial and they be able will complete the evacuation in 90 seconds provided the two exits on the wing is not working?

Also, does anyone with inside knowledge know that if even AC bothered to conduct testing with their 450 version in the first place, or if they had to?

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Nov 6, 2016 at 3:21 am
Old Nov 6, 2016, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Also, does anyone with inside knowledge know that if even AC bothered to conduct testing with their 450 version in the first place, or if they had to?
Boeing conducts the testing when they certify the aircraft. The 777-300 is certified for 550 people, which means that Boeing demonstrated that they could evacuate a 777-300 with 550 people on board in less the 90 seconds using only half of the exits. They use trained staff for these tests, and there is no confusion, smoke, or luggage. You can argue about passenger comfort and health in HD aircraft, but the safety angle won't go anywhere since the authorities have certified the aircraft for even denser passenger configurations than any of the major airlines are considering.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
If anything, the way these "tests" are conducted are in no way of representing the reality of emergency evacuation.

Scold me or whatever, its going to happen at some point with 450+ density on a 3-class 773, maybe not AC, maybe some other airline and we will find out just really if they meet the so called safety specs.
Keep in mind the Emirates flight that crash landed in Dubai only had 282 pax on-board.

In fact, just for the lolz, who here is actually willing to bet their house if tomorrow we choose any of AC's TPAC Flight on a 773 to conduct a emergency evac trial and they be able will complete the evacuation in 90 seconds provided the two exits on the wing is not working?
Sorry Jack, I'm afraid you're barking up the wrong tree here. The tests are representative, and certification is achieved based upon successful results. I guess the only critique one can offer is the evacuation tests are performed in a controlled atmosphere, with participants having advance knowledge of what they're expected to do. I understand that the non-functioning exit locations are not revealed ahead of the order to evacuate, which introduces some real confusion.

Read up on the AF358 accident if you need reassurance that over 300 people can successfully evacuate - with no advance warning - in less than 90 seconds in real world conditions: a broken and burning aircraft in rugged terrain with several exits not available .
Old Nov 6, 2016, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
The tests are representative, and certification is achieved based upon successful results. I guess the only critique one can offer is the evacuation tests are performed in a controlled atmosphere, with participants having advance knowledge of what they're expected to do. I understand that the non-functioning exit locations are not revealed ahead of the order to evacuate, which introduces some real confusion.
Except for half the people on board who insist in taking their carryons with them, and too bad if that results in the last half of the passengers ending up burning with the plane.

And it would not surprise me one bit if some of the folks are here might be among those...
Old Nov 6, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by yyzborg
This thread is not about anything Air Canada (directly) related. Why has it not been moved?
It is most certainly relevant:

1. AC is the largest airline in Canada. It also has one of the worst online perfomance and luggage delivery records of the major North American airlines (Delta, United, Air Canada, American, Jet Blue). If AC is forced to comply with minimum standards then it is of benefit for the tens of thousands of AC customers who are mistreated by the airline.

2. This directly impacts AC because unlike WestJet it intentionally oversells and overbooks its fligths as part of its operating procedures. This is the most egregious of business practices, and is deceitful. What other industry is allowed to offer a product for sale, to sell it ahead of time, misleading a customer to plan and prepare for a flight that that the customer expects to be on, only for the customer to be denied passage at the last minute?

3. Attaching additional financial costs to business practices will cause AC to reconsider its business operation strategy. Many of AC's failings in the customer service department are due to inadequate staffing levels. It should not be a surprise that baggage is lost or delayed when the airline doesn't allocate enough personnel for the loading, unloading and transfer of baggage. It should not be a surprise that there are delays when the airline doesn't have enough technical support staff on duty to respond to basic urgent service issues. Nor should it be a surprise that customers become upset when there are IROPs and the airline only provides 2 agents at a service desk to rebook hundreds of pax, or when there is one agent at the baggage desk to deal with hundreds of customers who have not received their bags. This may force AC to go, hmmm tens of thousands in penalties vs. a few hundred dollars to pay for an extra worker here and there.

Originally Posted by Stranger
Actually the rat was pretty much in bed with AC. So arguably this tread does belong. That she is now one of the contenders for Reform leadership does not really affect relevance.
What do you hope to achieve by your nonsensical statement? "Reform" has not been around in over a decade. Why try and blame former Transport Minister Rait? I remind you that when the USA and the EU were planning and introducing the consumer protection rules, the liberals were in power. The EU 261 Regulation was passed in 2004. Who was PM of Canada at that time? I'll give you a hint: His first name was Paul.

The failure to act has been a characteristic shared by Canadian governments since the airline industry started. It is no big secret that Air Canada prior to privatization was once a patronage plum of liberal governments and this is argued to be one of the reasons why the airline had so much pull with the governments of the day.

I will also remind you once again that the initiative started in 2013 with support at the parliamentary commitee level. It was people like Prof. Gabor Lukacs who kept pushing the issue. He is the gentleman who has been ridiculed on this forum and been greeted with much sniping despite the fact that to date he has been one of the few people to actually help any injured customers.

Former Conservative Industry Minister James Moore summed up the need for airline passenger protection when he stated this in January 2014,
“People who have paid for their ticket show up at the gate, go through security, arrive on time, and they find that their ticket has been sold twice and that somebody else is occupying their chair and they have to get rebooked, sometimes missing a wedding, missing a funeral, and having their business life interrupted.” “That’s not fair to consumers, it’s not fair to travellers and we are looking to take action on that front as well.”

The NDP had started the ball rolling in 2014 with its private members bill to introduce passenger rights. And I will reiterate, if Marc Garneau was not Transport Minister, it is unlikely that the current government would even be discussing the issue at this time. Minister Garneau is a decent and honourable gentleman and he has had to deal with some vociferous lobbyists to get this issue on the agenda.

Who led the campaign against the introduction of air passenger rights? It is no secret that the National Airlines Council of Canada does not support the introduction of consumer rights. The NACC is made up of Air Canada, Jazz, Air Transat and West Jet.

Last edited by Transpacificflyer; Nov 6, 2016 at 11:01 am
Old Nov 6, 2016, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer

3. Attaching additional financial costs to business practices will cause AC to reconsider its business operation strategy. Many of AC's failings in the customer service department are due to inadequate staffing levels. It should not be a surprise that baggage is lost or delayed when the airline doesn't allocate enough personnel for the loading, unloading and transfer of baggage. It should not be a surprise that there are delays when the airline doesn't have enough technical support staff on duty to respond to basic urgent service issues. Nor should it be a surprise that customers become upset when there are IROPs and the airline only provides 2 agents at a service desk to rebook hundreds of pax, or when there is one agent at the baggage desk to deal with hundreds of customers who have not received their bags. This may force AC to go, hmmm tens of thousands in penalties vs. a few hundred dollars to pay for an extra worker here and there.

Most lost baggage is not from inadequate staffing, but from misprinted tags or the airport system failing to read tags. Very few bags are lost from staffing issues or staff loading bags onto the wrong plane. AC baggage handlers scans every bag load onto a aircraft to make sure they are loaded onto the correct plane. If you think any business this going to employ hundreds, if not thousands of extra staff per shift around the world for a possible problem, your are dreaming. Also, it is not a few dollars, but hundreds of millions of dollars. I guarantee no business does what you want. By the way, when hundreds of bags go missing, it will always(99.9%) be a weather issues and no Bill of Rights(any country) will come down on any airline for this.

PS - I do know AC bring extra staff in, when the weather is bad in the winter.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 11:35 am
Suspended

2. This directly impacts AC because unlike WestJet it intentionally oversells and overbooks its fligths as part of its operating procedures. This is the most egregious of business practices, and is deceitful. What other industry is allowed to offer a product for sale, to sell it ahead of time, misleading a customer to plan and prepare for a flight that that the customer expects to be on, only for the customer to be denied passage at the last minute?

”[/I]
I agree this is a problem. The main reason this happens to AC and not Westjet, is because AC allows pax to cancel tickets and get a full refunds. Westjet does not refund your money(except plus ticket's, but there is a cancel fee) so pax don't book "just in case" tickets or book tickets under other peoples name, hoping to increase their upgrade chances. AC basically over books flights because they have a higher no show rate than Westjet because of this.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
AC basically over books flights because they have a higher no show rate than Westjet because of this.
I suspect AC also has a considerably higher percentage of business travel than Westjet, which is a segment far more likely to no-show or SDC than people flying to see Grandma.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 11:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by YOWgary
I suspect AC also has a considerably higher percentage of business travel than Westjet, which is a segment far more likely to no-show or SDC than people flying to see Grandma.
I would agree.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 12:14 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by YOWgary

So because a "business" passenger might not show up someone flying to see grandma should be penalized?
Old Nov 6, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: AC S100K
Originally Posted by KenHamer
So because a "business" passenger might not show up someone flying to see grandma should be penalized?
Absolutely not. As you well know.

If the business passenger shows up, grandma should get a hotel room and $800 to travel tomorrow. It's unlikely she'll have the opportunity, however, as she'll lose the race to the desk.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
It is most certainly relevant:

1. AC is the largest airline in Canada. It also has one of the worst online perfomance and luggage delivery records of the major North American airlines (Delta, United, Air Canada, American, Jet Blue). If AC is forced to comply with minimum standards then it is of benefit for the tens of thousands of AC customers who are mistreated by the airline.

What do you hope to achieve by your nonsensical statement? "Reform" has not been around in over a decade. Why try and blame former Transport Minister Rait? I remind you that when the USA and the EU were planning and introducing the consumer protection rules, the liberals were in power. The EU 261 Regulation was passed in 2004. Who was PM of Canada at that time? I'll give you a hint: His first name was Paul.

The failure to act has been a characteristic shared by Canadian governments since the airline industry started. It is no big secret that Air Canada prior to privatization was once a patronage plum of liberal governments and this is argued to be one of the reasons why the airline had so much pull with the governments of the day.

I will also remind you once again that the initiative started in 2013 with support at the parliamentary commitee level. It was people like Prof. Gabor Lukacs who kept pushing the issue. He is the gentleman who has been ridiculed on this forum and been greeted with much sniping despite the fact that to date he has been one of the few people to actually help any injured customers.

Former Conservative Industry Minister James Moore summed up the need for airline passenger protection when he stated this in January 2014,
“People who have paid for their ticket show up at the gate, go through security, arrive on time, and they find that their ticket has been sold twice and that somebody else is occupying their chair and they have to get rebooked, sometimes missing a wedding, missing a funeral, and having their business life interrupted.” “That’s not fair to consumers, it’s not fair to travellers and we are looking to take action on that front as well.”

The NDP had started the ball rolling in 2014 with its private members bill to introduce passenger rights. And I will reiterate, if Marc Garneau was not Transport Minister, it is unlikely that the current government would even be discussing the issue at this time. Minister Garneau is a decent and honourable gentleman and he has had to deal with some vociferous lobbyists to get this issue on the agenda.

Who led the campaign against the introduction of air passenger rights? It is no secret that the National Airlines Council of Canada does not support the introduction of consumer rights. The NACC is made up of Air Canada, Jazz, Air Transat and West Jet.
Thanks. This is a great practical beginning.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by segacs
Also agree this probably belongs in the Canada forum as opposed to the AC one.

But, practical suggestions, here goes:

1. Clear rules on compensation due in the event of a flight delay or cancellation, involuntary denial of boarding, or lost or delayed luggage -- how much, after how much time, under what circumstances. With an easy process (preferably online) to submit the claim and get paid in a timely fashion.

2. A public reporting system or website where any Canadian can log on to see what the official reason is for a delay, i.e. stop airlines from claiming a weather delay when it's really mechanical or operational.

3. Minimum standards set for seat width and pitch, aisle room, etc. The airlines are squeezing sardine class more and more, and it's becoming a health and safety issue at this point.

4. Require transparency with fees and taxes, i.e. end the practice of airlines getting to pretend that "fuel surcharges" or other scam charges are taxes.

5. Require clarity in tariffs. Similar to how the CRTC now requires clarity in mobile contracts, make airlines publish clear, easy to find, easy to read rules with every ticket that make sense to consumers. None of this "we're legally required to post this, so we'll bury it on a non-indexed page of our website, in 50 pages of non-scannable PDF fine print legalese" BS.

6. Fees for cancellations, rebookings and changes should be clear, reasonable, and easy to understand at the time you book the ticket. A detailed breakdown should be issued by the airline for every change, including what portion of the ticket can be re-used, under what circumstances, and at what cost. You can still sell restrictive economy tickets, but you shouldn't be able to get away with obfuscating the fees.

7. Compensation for seat reassignments, seat changes or involuntary downgrades if you've paid for your seat selection. The airlines can't have it both ways: If a seat is merely a 'request', they shouldn't charge for it. If they charge for it, you've purchased something and you have a right to a refund if you don't get it.

8. Require airlines by law to reasonably accommodate passengers with disabilities or other special needs. Arguably, they do a decent job of this already, but there's very little protection built in for the times when they don't.

This is just off the top of my head. I'm sure I'll think of more.
Very nice summary. I might copy and paste.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.