Wiki Posts
Search

US customs labor action at YYZ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cur
7 TN renewals though, that's really pushing it
One would think a reasonably enlightened employer would have offered to get you a green card by then?

Which is what happened with our son. Who has now been in Massachusetts for ten years, same employer, loves his job and does not plan to quit ever.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by cur
it is an essential service in the usa. they can't strike. nor can they form a union. but in canada

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/yyc-border...kout-1.2071046
http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/10/25...carry-firearms
http://www.canadianshipper.com/trans...ay/1000033754/
plus the countless other walkouts at land borders.
Two health and safety related work refusals and an article that's 12 years old about a legal strike position. Tell me, what ever happen to that strike...?

Originally Posted by cur
wondered why you can't import more than 8 pounds of cheese at a time?
Try harder..

You can import as much cheese as you like. The General Import Permit (GIP 1) provides tariff relief only for the first $20CAD imported. Over that you need to pay to play. You can thank Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada for that limit, not CBSA.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maradori
I do remember my fair share of garbage strikes (including that time the Pope visited) ....
Surely that one was very appropriate though?

Old Apr 12, 2016, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by cur
You're right. It's indefinitely renewable. But it's also a temporary workers visa and not a pathway to residency, and having a large portion of your career spent in the us working under that can be reasonably understood by a leo to be not temporary. I'm likely to work under a TN visa with long term intent so I'm happy you had 7x without incident, but my understanding from online immigration forums is that 5-6 renewals is pushing it.
Depends on how/why you have it. If I was still with KPMG, I'd be on my 4th by now but still only use it <30 days a year. Occasional transborder work is just part of the job, and that's true for many TN holders.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rehoult
Depends on how/why you have it. If I was still with KPMG, I'd be on my 4th by now but still only use it <30 days a year. Occasional transborder work is just part of the job, and that's true for many TN holders.
That was my understanding too.

I was told it could be a problem for even one renewal, but I had moved to the US to work full-time for a US employer. Hard to argue it's "temporary" after doing that for 3 or 5 years or whatever the TN limit is.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by Stranger
Same for me at YYC last week.

New card arrived within a week too BTW.

I initially had an appointment in August. Less than a week before a planned trip. Kept checking for earlier dates, nothing for quite a while. Then suddenly, one spot the next day. Grabbed it.
Similar experience. They did a blitz last fall and it was easy to get an appt. Done in another building (not the terminal) at the airport with free parking. Both the US and CDN agents were excellent, helpful, and responsive. New cards arrived within two weeks.

Delay was at the front end waiting for the application to move to the interview stage. Took about 8 or 9 weeks to be eligible to make the appt.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 3:53 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
um, law enforcement officers abandoning their post inside the secure area of an airport with real police 60 seconds away is not of note? that's the behavior your expect of your unionized civil servants?

Originally Posted by ls17031

You can import as much cheese as you like. The General Import Permit (GIP 1) provides tariff relief only for the first $20CAD imported. Over that you need to pay to play. You can thank Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada for that limit, not CBSA.
yes. and that's to protect the dairy cartel. which is why cheese smuggling is a thing. of course it isn't cbsa, it's the legislators that make these asinine rules.
http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/201...eese-smuggling
Old Apr 13, 2016, 3:55 am
cur

Originally Posted by rehoult
ah touche

Originally Posted by canadiancow
That was my understanding too.

I was told it could be a problem for even one renewal, but I had moved to the US to work full-time for a US employer. Hard to argue it's "temporary" after doing that for 3 or 5 years or whatever the TN limit is.
my understanding from friends and internetz is that if you're full time living in the usa, renewal number 3 (9 years) is when it gets dicey
Old Apr 15, 2016, 3:57 am

Preclearance this morning at YYZ looked to be an absolute mess. Queue snaked way out the door and the hall was jam packed.

Unfortunately my flight didn't register on the GE kiosk and I got sent to the desk. Easily took up 1/2 hour to get through 5 people in the line as the officer was really taking his sweet time on each person.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by tng11
Preclearance this morning at YYZ looked to be an absolute mess. Queue snaked way out the door and the hall was jam packed.

Unfortunately my flight didn't register on the GE kiosk and I got sent to the desk. Easily took up 1/2 hour to get through 5 people in the line as the officer was really taking his sweet time on each person.
I hope this madness will stop by the time I going through in two weeks. My transfer occurs at 2 p.m., no GE.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 11:54 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

As this isn't strictly Ac nor AP related it's been relocated to the Canada forum.

tcook052
Ac forum moderator
Old Apr 16, 2016, 2:01 am
cur

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
I hope this madness will stop by the time I going through in two weeks. My transfer occurs at 2 p.m., no GE.
it probably won't.

as there is no proof that there is "labor action" i think we can chalk this up to short staffing like all cbp ports in us airports

Originally Posted by Stranger
One would think a reasonably enlightened employer would have offered to get you a green card by then?
it's not a green card, it's an h1b visa and it binds you to the employer for 5 years until you get the green card. change employers (who has to go thru the h1b process all over again) and the 5 years starts over. putting a ring on an american is much more efficient. but what's more efficient than that is having a job and boss that you love
Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by cur
it's not a green card, it's an h1b visa and it binds you to the employer for 5 years until you get the green card. change employers (who has to go thru the h1b process all over again) and the 5 years starts over. putting a ring on an american is much more efficient. but what's more efficient than that is having a job and boss that you love
I've done an H1B transfer twice. It's not too difficult unless it's the new employer's first H1B.

Last edited by canadiancow; Apr 17, 2016 at 12:01 pm
Old Apr 17, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've done an H1B transfer twice. It's not too difficult unless it's the new employer's first H1B.
I've done it twice as well. I'd add "or the employer is clueless". Mine expired for three weeks or so before each renewal due, presumably, to their lack of attention to the calendar since there isn't much to it aside from the posting of the notice and the filing of the forms etc.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 5:00 pm

Most YYZ GE machines are working (some are out of service).

No lines, no talking to any agents.

Also, there's a new button. "NO TO ALL". So rather than saying "NO" to each of the five or six questions, it's only one button now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.