Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OSS, One Stop Security Initiative

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
None of Canada's airports are set up for this yet, I had to go through security again at both YYZ & YVR in the past 30 & 60 days. It's a great concept and sure looks nice on your BP and yes your bags do go to your final destination in Canada without having to pick them up when you land in Canada, but you still need to enjoy the security ritual after clearing customs.
What about US->US? I think I've only done that once, personally.. but I didn't need to clear canadian customs, only a quick pass through US customs. Are international connections (elsewhere->yyz->USA) subjected to both Canadian, US customs and a security re-check?

I would think that connecting pax should just go through US customs only. I mean, logically, sure - but maybe not currently.
Old May 31, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by epiphani
What about US->US? I think I've only done that once, personally.. but I didn't need to clear canadian customs, only a quick pass through US customs. Are international connections (elsewhere->yyz->USA) subjected to both Canadian, US customs and a security re-check?

I would think that connecting pax should just go through US customs only. I mean, logically, sure - but maybe not currently.
Yes, sorry when you come in through YYZ and going to the US, you do not go downstairs through Canada Customs, you are still upstairs at the Canada Customs check point (as you are in transit) as I call it and you go on to the US customs. This has been there for a long time, its just been modernized.

For travel to other parts of Canada after clearing customs you leave the secured area and then go through security again. Your bag is no longer subject to pick up and transfer as it goes onto your final destination. The passenger goes through security again. The whole point of OSS is you go through security once and you are good to go! HOWEVER in LHR,FRA,MUC & HKG i have had to go through security before making my connections,all since January!
Old May 31, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by epiphani

US->US is not actually a valid ticket on AC.
Old May 31, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by D404
US->US is not actually a valid ticket on AC.
May not be, but I've done it on separate tickets. Booked one trip, realized I had to get somewhere else that day, booked the second one rather than change the first one.
Old May 31, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: AC E50K
OSS and Duty Free Alcohol

I've had an OSS tag on my last 2 flights from the USA, but skipped the duty free so didn't encounter any issues.

If I were to buy a bottle of Scotch at the duty free in USA and connect in Canada before flying back to Mtl how would this be handled? Normally I just put it into my checked luggage, but if I no longer have access to it...

Btw I connected in YVR both times and had to reclear security. Not sure if the same if I were to pass my YYZ.
Old May 31, 2016, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Eternity000
I've had an OSS tag on my last 2 flights from the USA, but skipped the duty free so didn't encounter any issues.

If I were to buy a bottle of Scotch at the duty free in USA and connect in Canada before flying back to Mtl how would this be handled? Normally I just put it into my checked luggage, but if I no longer have access to it...

Btw I connected in YVR both times and had to reclear security. Not sure if the same if I were to pass my YYZ.
Depends on if it is handled correctly in the US. They should put it in a sealed, secure bag with the receipt. If they do that and you don't open it, then you can take with you through CATSA. They will open the bag, test the bottle, reseal the bag and then you can then take it on the plane with you. Only thing to remember is that it's a one time deal, once opened and tested by CATSA (or another airport), you can't bring it through security again.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:40 am

Programs: NEXUS, Hilton - Gold, Fairmont - Plat, AA - Plat MM, DL - Gold, UA - Silver
YYT -> YYZ -> FLL with OSS on ticket, and NEXUS card holder.

Anyone have the simplest solution to pass through immigration & customs, exploiting OSS if available?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:40 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by AngryHombre
YYT -> YYZ -> FLL with OSS on ticket, and NEXUS card holder.

Anyone have the simplest solution to pass through immigration & customs, exploiting OSS if available?
Just follow the signs, it's not like there are multiple solutions of various simplicity

Here's a thread dedicated to the new YYZ -> US process: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canad...ocess-yyz.html
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Air Canada
OSS did NOT work !

I had OSS on my boarding pass from YYZ to YVR after connecting with TSA Approved on my DCA - YYZ flight. (Tue Aug 23 2016)

I asked a number of people at YYZ and they told me that if the premier of Ontario has to go through screening at YYZ then I would not be an exception. In their words; No one is exempt from a security check regardless of what it says on their boarding card.

Does the Canadian Govt not inform security at major airports of their initiatives?

Interested in hearing from other on this.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Tom the Traveler
OSS did NOT work !

I had OSS on my boarding pass from YYZ to YVR after connecting with TSA Approved on my DCA - YYZ flight. (Tue Aug 23 2016)

I asked a number of people at YYZ and they told me that if the premier of Ontario has to go through screening at YYZ then I would not be an exception. In their words; No one is exempt from a security check regardless of what it says on their boarding card.

Does the Canadian Govt not inform security at major airports of their initiatives?

Interested in hearing from other on this.
Greetings Tom -- that is kinda the whole point of this thread.

The Federal Government has said airports are allowed to implement OSS, but waiving the magic regulatory wand does not make it so. Some airports will require major construction projects to enable OSS (new PAX routes through the airport for example), other airports will have relatively less to do, but the project is massive: signage, communications plan, staffing, security, revisions to operational and contingency plans, etc., etc.
--
13F
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
Greetings Tom -- that is kinda the whole point of this thread.

The Federal Government has said airports are allowed to implement OSS, but waiving the magic regulatory wand does not make it so. Some airports will require major construction projects to enable OSS (new PAX routes through the airport for example), other airports will have relatively less to do, but the project is massive: signage, communications plan, staffing, security, revisions to operational and contingency plans, etc., etc.
--
13F
+1

Until the various terminals are reconfigured to physically separate OSS transfer passengers from the long list of insecure people and things, it can't be implemented.

Tom: Honestly, having come from DCA to YYZ, you had to walk into the public concourse before getting to the domestic security. Did you really think that you wouldn't be cleared again?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
I just got this for my YYZ-YUL flight tomorrow. My first flight is IAH-YYZ. Does this mean I don't have to go through security at YYZ?

Also, if I get OSS for my YYZ-IAH return, does that mean I don't have to do security? That doesn't sound right.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by slickvik
I just got this for my YYZ-YUL flight tomorrow. My first flight is IAH-YYZ. Does this mean I don't have to go through security at YYZ?

Also, if I get OSS for my YYZ-IAH return, does that mean I don't have to do security? That doesn't sound right.
You'll need to do security in both directions as YYZ isn't setup for OSS yet. The BP indicator is premature, for once AC got their tech ready before it was needed.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 12:22 pm

How are they supposed to separate clean and un-clean arriving passengers in YYZ terminal 1 E gates? The only way I see it is: put clean flights in the hammerhead and un-clean flights on the main pier with a "wall" in between the two.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 10:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by mtomo
How are they supposed to separate clean and un-clean arriving passengers in YYZ terminal 1 E gates? The only way I see it is: put clean flights in the hammerhead and un-clean flights on the main pier with a "wall" in between the two.
What is the need to separate them before the immigration check? Just put the corridor behind the agents in the connections booths. That way, if they are qualified for OSS, CBSA agents would open the corridor entrance. If they are not qualified for OSS, CBSA agents would instruct them to go down to baggage claim like the current process...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.