Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada New ETA Required 15 Mar 2016 - Questions, Visa, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Canada New Electronic Travel Authorization / ETA as of 15 Mar 2016
Required of Visa-exempt foreign nationals flying to or transiting through Canada

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Starting March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa.

Entry requirements for other methods of travel (land, sea) have not changed.

Do not wait until the last minute – apply now for an eTA.

See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta.asp
Note: The ETA website became active 15 Aug 2015. The fee is for an eTA is $7 CAD; the government says most eTAs will be processed and granted within minutes of applying.

Link to video.

To complete the online form, you need:
  • a valid passport from a visa-exempt country
  • You cannot apply using a Refugee Travel Document, Emergency Travel Document, Organization of American States (OAS) Travel Document or a UN Laissez-Passer.
If you are a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. and you do not have a passport, you can apply for an eTA with:
  • a valid U.S. Refugee Travel Document (I-571)
  • a valid Permit to Re-Enter the United States (I-327)
  • a valid machine-readable immigrant visa (I-551), endorsed with a valid U.S. Admission Stamp
  • a credit card
  • Visa®, MasterCard®, American Express®, or
  • a pre-paid Visa®, MasterCard® or American Express®,
  • and a valid email address.
You can only apply for one person at a time. For example, for a family of three people, you will need to complete and submit the form three times.

Reminder
You cannot apply for an eTA if you are:
  • a Canadian citizen or a dual Canadian citizen,
  • a Canadian permanent resident, or
  • a U.S. citizen. (However, lawful permanent residents of the U.S. need an eTA if travelling by air.)
Answer a few questions to make sure that you need an eTA and then continue directly to the form to apply for one online.
Print Wikipost

Canada New ETA Required 15 Mar 2016 - Questions, Visa, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Exclamation Canada New ETA Required 15 Mar 2016 - Questions, Visa, etc.

It seems Canada is introducing an >>Electronic Travel Authorisation<<, which is compulsory from 15 March 2016.

Are there any advantages to register under this scheme now, if travelling before the cut-off date?

Furthermore we (2 Belgian adults with our Belgian kid, each has a machinereadable passport) would like to cross from Canada into the U.S. for something like a weekendtrip to a random city somewhere across the border. I read that a U.S. ESTA is not required when crossing by land from Canada to the U.S., where the travellers in question are from Visa Waiver Countries.

So am I right in the overall assumtion that, if travelling before the mentioned Canadian ETA cut-off date, we won't need to apply for anything right now? That feels a bit odd!

Thanks for any possible input,
Rgds, Christian

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 19, 2015 at 12:40 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:43 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Wow, did not know about that

Originally Posted by cheknuf
Are there any advantages to register under this scheme now, if travelling before the cut-off date?
It appears that there is a payment, so I would not do this if traveling before implementation date @:-)

I'm guessing that in the longrun it will be good, as it will speed up Immigration, and I'm guessing the fee is part of airline ticket now.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Wow, did not know about that

It appears that there is a payment, so I would not do this if traveling before implementation date @:-)

I'm guessing that in the longrun it will be good, as it will speed up Immigration, and I'm guessing the fee is part of airline ticket now.
It's $7.00 CAD, which must be paid upon applying for the eTA online - definitely not part of airline ticketing. A lot like Australia's ETA - I applied for my Australia ETA this morning, very efficient and rapid, but $20.00 AUD.

Thanks for the AMP. Now added to the wiki, title changed, thread "stuck".
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
It's $7.00 CAD, which must be paid upon applying for the eTA online
OK, seven bucks isn't too bad. And quite possibly well worth it considering the LOOOONG line I saw at YVR a month or two ago. That is if it speeds things up.

Now added to the wiki, title changed, thread "stuck".
Thanks, that's VERY useful info for anyone planning a trip to Canada next year ^

Let the discussion begin
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by EmailKid
OK, seven bucks isn't too bad. And quite possibly well worth it considering the LOOOONG line I saw at YVR a month or two ago. That is if it speeds things up.

Thanks, that's VERY useful info for anyone planning a trip to Canada next year ^

Let the discussion begin
ETA use won't necessarily speed up anything. Rather it is more likely to slow down things compared to what is currently in play. But if this gets Canada closer to allowing for APC type kiosks for all ETA users, then it may help speed things up in some ways.

The discussion about this was started some time back:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...ee-regime.html
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Whoa How did I miss that

Thanks for setting me straight ^
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Interesting discussion.

What I still don't know is, if there are any advantages to applying before the cut-off date, such as faster lines?

I´m not in Canada that often, I might as well only need an eTA after my current passport expires.

7 CADs aren't that much, so if this speeds up immigration it might be worthwile spending them, otherwise maybe not so much...

Summary: Does anyone know the Pros&Cons?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:51 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Interesting discussion.

What I still don't know is, if there are any advantages to applying before the cut-off date, such as faster lines?

I´m not in Canada that often, I might as well only need an eTA after my current passport expires.

7 CADs aren't that much, so if this speeds up immigration it might be worthwile spending them, otherwise maybe not so much...

The advantage of applying early is that you know you are approved. I sat through a CIC presentation recently where they said 95% of applicants are being automatically approved by the system, 3-5% are kicked out for manual review and approval is still given within 24-48 hours. The remainder are referred to a Canadian embassy immigration unit (where the applicant lives) for processing. Most of those are approved, but a handful are denied an eTA and told to apply for a visa.
--
13F
Old Dec 15, 2015, 3:05 pm

Unless your travel dates have any chances of changing to after the date that it becomes mandatory, I wouldn't register. You don't get a fast lane at the POE.

Furthermore we (2 Belgian adults with our Belgian kid, each has a machinereadable passport) would like to cross from Canada into the U.S. for something like a weekendtrip to a random city somewhere across the border. I read that a U.S. ESTA is not required when crossing by land from Canada to the U.S., where the travellers in question are from Visa Waiver Countries.
Indeed, ESTA, like the ETA, is only required when entering (or transiting) via air travel. I've heard that visa-waiver candidates should bring ~ US$ 6,- to the border for the entry form, but I'm not sure if that's still the case. I've never been asked to pay it though (Canadian PR, Dutch citizen), but my case might be an exception, since I have the Nexus card.

So am I right in the overall assumtion that, if travelling before the mentioned Canadian ETA cut-off date, we won't need to apply for anything right now? That feels a bit odd!
That's my conclusion too based on the info published by CIC.

But be sure to read the fine print on the ETA info page, and read all the entry requirements for CA and USA on their respective embassy or immigration websites.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 3:06 pm

A big pro: it's less than the US$ 14 that the USA charges.
Another pro (for anybody else than Canadians): our weak Dollar. ;-)
Old Jan 10, 2016, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
It's $7.00 CAD, which must be paid upon applying for the eTA online - definitely not part of airline ticketing. A lot like Australia's ETA - I applied for my Australia ETA this morning, very efficient and rapid, but $20.00 AUD.

Thanks for the AMP. Now added to the wiki, title changed, thread "stuck".
The difference is that the ETA can be obtained for free through the GDS system. Many travel agencies will give one for free, given that you buy a ticket to Australia from them.
This cannot (and I have seen very long queues to clear immigration at SYD...)
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
The difference is that the ETA can be obtained for free through the GDS system. Many travel agencies will give one for free, given that you buy a ticket to Australia from them.
This cannot (and I have seen very long queues to clear immigration at SYD...)
And some airlines have given Australian ETAs/evisa for free because they could file them without being charged for them. For example, United used to do the ETAs without charging customers -- at least those in business class on UA flights. AFAIK, there is indeed no such option for the Canadian or US ETA/ESTA/evisa.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Has anyone had experience of delays in the system? My application has been in the system for longer than the 72 hours stated, I have submitted a case specific enquiry but have received no reply. By contrast my US ETSA I applied for a couple of months ago was instantly issued.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
After a nudge it has been sorted.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 9:42 am

Information on Eta progress

Anyone know how to contact the Eta for Canada people. There's no phone number and emails just don't get answered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.