Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada New ETA Required 15 Mar 2016 - Questions, Visa, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Canada New Electronic Travel Authorization / ETA as of 15 Mar 2016
Required of Visa-exempt foreign nationals flying to or transiting through Canada

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Starting March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa.

Entry requirements for other methods of travel (land, sea) have not changed.

Do not wait until the last minute – apply now for an eTA.

See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta.asp
Note: The ETA website became active 15 Aug 2015. The fee is for an eTA is $7 CAD; the government says most eTAs will be processed and granted within minutes of applying.

Link to video.

To complete the online form, you need:
  • a valid passport from a visa-exempt country
  • You cannot apply using a Refugee Travel Document, Emergency Travel Document, Organization of American States (OAS) Travel Document or a UN Laissez-Passer.
If you are a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. and you do not have a passport, you can apply for an eTA with:
  • a valid U.S. Refugee Travel Document (I-571)
  • a valid Permit to Re-Enter the United States (I-327)
  • a valid machine-readable immigrant visa (I-551), endorsed with a valid U.S. Admission Stamp
  • a credit card
  • Visa®, MasterCard®, American Express®, or
  • a pre-paid Visa®, MasterCard® or American Express®,
  • and a valid email address.
You can only apply for one person at a time. For example, for a family of three people, you will need to complete and submit the form three times.

Reminder
You cannot apply for an eTA if you are:
  • a Canadian citizen or a dual Canadian citizen,
  • a Canadian permanent resident, or
  • a U.S. citizen. (However, lawful permanent residents of the U.S. need an eTA if travelling by air.)
Answer a few questions to make sure that you need an eTA and then continue directly to the form to apply for one online.
Print Wikipost

Canada New ETA Required 15 Mar 2016 - Questions, Visa, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2016, 5:28 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Blue, Starbucks Gold
We also have a mandatory spelling quiz at the border: folks have been deported for spelling "authorization" with an "s"...

I hope enjoy your stay in Canada, and please refrain from feeding the moose!
Old Mar 7, 2016, 1:57 am

       

Last edited by ksharpe; Feb 2, 2017 at 2:35 am
Old Mar 12, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by ksharpe
Just FYI, the Government of Canada has postponed the mandatory rollout of eTA until autumn sometime.

"However, from March 15, 2016 until fall 2016, travellers who do not have an eTA can board their flight, as long as they have appropriate travel documents, such as a valid passport. During this time, border services officers can let travellers arriving without an eTA into the country, as long as they meet the other requirements to enter Canada." http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.asp

Also: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/03...n_9380664.html
Well that was C$7 wasted then, I'll have to travel back to make up for it
Old Apr 13, 2016, 2:02 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Are there stories of people who have successfully entered without an ETA during this leniency period? I travel in 2 weeks and dont have an ETA approval (or even a simple response) after three attempts on their website!
Old Apr 14, 2016, 5:26 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Yes. Not me, but a business visitor from the UK. The eTA is not yet mandatory.
--
13F
Old Apr 24, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
I paid the 21 CAD just in case (3 pax), it will be valid for the duration of my passport so i have not to worry about paying that in the future. Nothing to sweat about.

Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
Are there stories of people who have successfully entered without an ETA during this leniency period? I travel in 2 weeks and dont have an ETA approval (or even a simple response) after three attempts on their website!
This is very strange, i applied the 3 of us yesterday and approval came in 5 minutes. My passport is from Italy. Yes, i would guess you would have no problem at all without eta, but i just wanted to keep it super safe.
Old May 5, 2016, 5:24 am

Canada's eTA pushed back SEPT 29 - 2016

May 5. 2016. eTA push back to Sept 29 - 2016

It seems according to the Government of Canada's web site that the requirement for an eTA to enter Canada has now been pushed back to SEPTEMBER 29. 2016.

However I noted today that the Canadian Government's web site has recently changed that information to say that an eTA will not be needed before the "Fall" of 2016, instead of September 29 2016 as they previously described it. But it's the same thing! How many non North Americans understand the meaning of 'Fall'. However the 'Fall' is the end of September - end of summer start of winter - so it's saying the same thing but has been deliberately made obscure in order to get as many people as possible to obtain an eTA, and the money of course. Personally I think it's a cyclical manner of obtaining money from millions people who previously could arrive in Canada without a Visa.

My 90 year old Mother has not much longer time left for this life and will pass away in the next few months. I am disgusted that if she should pass away after the end of September 29 - 2016 I will have to jump through these hoops and fork over $7 to the Canadian Government in order to go and bury my Mother. For a so called eTA that I will never use again. Ever.

Old May 5, 2016, 5:40 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by meldiver

It seems according to the Government of Canada's web site that the requirement for an eTA to enter Canada has now been pushed back to SEPTEMBER 29. 2016.

However I noted today that the Canadian Government's web site has recently changed that information to say that an eTA will not be needed before the "Fall" of 2016, instead of September 29 2016 as they previously described it. But it's the same thing! How many non North Americans understand the meaning of 'Fall'. However the 'Fall' is the end of September - end of summer start of winter - so it's saying the same thing but has been deliberately made obscure in order to get as many people as possible to obtain an eTA, and the money of course. Personally I think it's a cyclical manner of obtaining money from millions people who previously could arrive in Canada without a Visa.

My 90 year old Mother has not much longer time left for this life and will pass away in the next few months. I am disgusted that if she should pass away after the end of September 29 - 2016 I will have to jump through these hoops and fork over $7 to the Canadian Government in order to go and bury my Mother. For a so called eTA that I will never use again. Ever.

Dumbest post ever!!!!
Old May 5, 2016, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

Old May 6, 2016, 1:12 am

Dumbest post ever.

Then you live a very secluded life!
Old May 6, 2016, 1:26 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Then you live a very secluded life!
Why don't you go see your beloved mother now while she is still alive rather than waiting until she is dead and just going to Canada to bury her?
Old May 6, 2016, 1:29 am

Because I'm in hospital. That alright with you then?
Old May 6, 2016, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

As a Canadian national personally against ETA, I would think that in urgent and stressful situations like this, 7 CAD is hardly your biggest worry (if it is, it says more about your ability to afford the trip in the first place...)
Old May 9, 2016, 3:23 am

Nothing wrong with my AmEx pal. I can't remember the last long haul trip I made in Economy/Coach...and you?

Stupid comment...
Old May 11, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
this is getting personal, and it should go back on topic.

I got mine last year, was approved in minutes, and was an easy border crossing. Even if you dont think you will need it, it can be beneficial to have in the background, for the instance when you need a last minute trip or are on a connection, it would be very helpful for the small small price being paid

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.