Wiki Posts
Search

Transfering in YUL from domestic to international flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Transfering in YUL from domestic to international flight

Hello!

I have a question regarding a transfer in YUL from a domestic flight (from Toronto) to a connection flight to Europe - both on Air Canada, if that matters. When I arrive in YUL, do I have to go through any checks or security before arriving at my gate for my transatlantic flight?

The reason why I am asking: If someone was flying with me on the first flight to Montreal, could that person join me until my next flight is boarding, or would we have to say goodbye at an earlier point already?

Thank you very much for your help!
Arctifox
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Arctifox
Hello!

I have a question regarding a transfer in YUL from a domestic flight (from Toronto) to a connection flight to Europe - both on Air Canada, if that matters. When I arrive in YUL, do I have to go through any checks or security before arriving at my gate for my transatlantic flight?

The reason why I am asking: If someone was flying with me on the first flight to Montreal, could that person join me until my next flight is boarding, or would we have to say goodbye at an earlier point already?

Thank you very much for your help!
Arctifox
No. You will have cleared security in Toronto, and you will be placed in the sterile area upon landing in Montreal.
There may be a passport check but that's about it (and they will check your passport when boarding the TATL segment.)
The other person can join you provided they remain in the sterile area, and they must leave the sterile area of the airport to retrieve any checked bags.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:57 pm

Programs: AC, WN, Nexus
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
No. You will have cleared security in Toronto, and you will be placed in the sterile area upon landing in Montreal.
There may be a passport check but that's about it (and they will check your passport when boarding the TATL segment.)
The other person can join you provided they remain in the sterile area, and they must leave the sterile area of the airport to retrieve any checked bags.
Is that really right? My experience at YVR is that one can't proceed into the international boarding area without a boarding pass for an international flight. I don't think that the other person could join you.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 3:59 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mistermap
Is that really right? My experience at YVR is that one can't proceed into the international boarding area without a boarding pass for an international flight. I don't think that the other person could join you.
YUL used to have agents standing between the domestic and Int'l areas that checked for boarding pass, but it's been a year or two since they removed them.

There is no separation between them - as AA_EXP09 identified, as long as you don't leave the secured area after deplaning from YYZ, you can stay together.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: A3*G, Fairmont Pl, Accor Pl, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Platinum
I can also confirm that there is no separation and you can stay together.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much to all of you for your help :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.