Search

YYZ Customs / Immigration engagement ring query

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, Miles+Bonus Blue
YYZ Customs / Immigration engagement ring query

Hi all. Newbie looking for some advice!

I will shortly be travelling to Toronto (from the UK) with a new engagement ring to propose to my girlfriend who is a Canadian resident. The intention is for her to relocate to the UK at some point in the new year.

Having done a bit of research it looks like the correct course of action is to declare the ring at customs, explaining that my partner will be leaving to settle in the UK within the next 12 months and fill out the relevant form and possibly pay a security deposit instead of paying duty on it.

How suspicious will it be viewed travelling to propose there? I can imagine that it would lead to more questions to ensure that I am not looking to remain in Canada with my partner etc... Should I bring anything specific to demonstrate that I intend to return to the UK rather than stay in Canada illegally? We are only just starting to look at visas for when she moves so do not have this in place yet.

Cheers
Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd start by checking very carefully whether you can enter as a "tourist" without a visa or if you need to apply for a fiancé visa. A ring without a fiancé visa could mean that you won't be admitted.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply

From what I can establish Canada no longer offer fiance visas; as I am travelling from the UK I would usually travel under a visa waiver.

We are in the process of arranging a wedding in the UK in 2016 so I am hopeful if I can demonstrate this it will go a long way with the border authorities?

Cheers

Jimmy
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:39 pm

I would consult the appropriate immigration authorities and possibly an immigration lawyer for better answers at this point. Telling CBSA at the POE you are coming to propose to your Canadian GF is going to set off some red flags, long questioning and quite possibly removal without all your ducks in order.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:06 am

How much does this ring costs? It cannot be more than 10K CAD can it?

Anyway, just bring the ring inside your jacket's inner pocket and tell the agent you are visiting your girlfriend for a few days/weeks. Show your return ticket and some other documents that demonstrate your ties in the UK, like pay stubs, job contract, school enrolment etc. You might want to show some kind of proof of funds for the trip and possibly a letter from your GF saying you are going to stay at place her for a while. Have her number handy just in case.

You'll probably be asked how come you have a GF living in Canada while you live in the UK. Just be honest. They are not there to detain people that are not doing anything illegal even if it seems that way sometimes.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: FT
given that you will not be able to prove the ring will leave the country, you might have to declare its value and pay applicable tax and duty even as a gift. given how much the ring is worth, i would get some advice on the same. the worst thing you could do is not declare and it would potentially be seized.

pauq is giving some horrible advice about just putting the ring in your jacket.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the advice

I have called the CBSA who seemed to think it was no big deal - on completion of the relevant form a security deposit "may" be needed - of up to the duties payable - in case of the ring not leaving the country within the prescribed time limit.

The last thing I want to do is to be caught bringing anything through without declaring it.

Being realistic I will declare it as stated - but ensure that i can prove the wedding plans for the UK, proof of employment in the UK, enquiries for my partners UK visa etc in case I require evidence.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Cheers
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:17 am

Honestly I do think most CBSA agents are more than reasonable, obviously declare, but I would be surprised if they actually require you to pay a deposit. Being confident and relaxed goes a long way. Have your documentation ready (for wedding, UK employment etc), but even that may not be required. That sort of thing can be rather discretionary and dependent on the mood of the person you get. Congrats and good luck!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Could you just take the ring back with you to the UK? That would be a plausible plan. Let your girlfriend wear it while you are there. If she forgets to give it back to you on the departure day, you can figure out what to do.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 10:34 am
B1

You could buy a ring in Canada and have its size adjusted. These are commodity items and the price should be pretty standard.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Just in case anyone comes looking with a similar question...

I had no real issues at the border at all. I was fully armed with paperwork showing my ties home etc but this wasn't needed. They weren't 100% sure of the form / procedure needed at first but it was all processed quickly enough.

Cheers

Jimmy
Old Sep 27, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
Did you have to leave a deposit or some other security that the ring would leave Canada ?

Originally Posted by crazyjimmy
Just in case anyone comes looking with a similar question...

I had no real issues at the border at all. I was fully armed with paperwork showing my ties home etc but this wasn't needed. They weren't 100% sure of the form / procedure needed at first but it was all processed quickly enough.

Cheers

Jimmy
Old Oct 26, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by crazyjimmy
I had brought with me a small jewelry as a gift. At the time I purchased it, it was below $60CAD. When I entered Canada, the exchange rate caused it to be evaluated above $60CAD. The Customs officer didn't give me any instructions when I gave her the declarations card, so I just exited to the Arrivals area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.