Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can I cross the Rainbow Bridge without entering the United States (immigration)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I cross the Rainbow Bridge without entering the United States (immigration)?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hello all,

I will be in Toronto at the end of the month for a 1 week holiday and I have arranged for a day trip to Niagara Falls (Canadian side).

I was wondering if it would be possible for me to walk across the Rainbow Bridge and look over Niagara without having to go through US CBP at the other side.

Could I take my passport, exit Canada, walk across the bridge, walk back again and re enter Canada?

Thanks,

FC
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:08 am

I think you can just walk it half way

I don't think you EXIT Canada at all until you go the other end and enter USA immigration

Can't find anything on Google, besides the official page
http://www.niagarafallslive.com/rainbow_bridge.htm
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerryhung
I think you can just walk it half way

I don't think you EXIT Canada at all until you go the other end and enter USA immigration

Can't find anything on Google, besides the official page
http://www.niagarafallslive.com/rainbow_bridge.htm
Does Canada not have exit checks?

Im guessing I would still need to re enter Canada coming back from the bridge?

Thanks for the link
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy

Im guessing I would still need to re enter Canada coming back from the bridge?

Thanks for the link
http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-..._New_York.html

[frankly, the views from the bridge are far away from the views from the Canadian side of the US falls BTW]

one more kewl link

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...andstilll.html

Last edited by mkjr; Aug 7, 2015 at 11:23 am
Old Aug 9, 2015, 2:32 pm
B1

You exit Canada without any check. If you have a visa that requires notation that you have left the country, you go to the Canada border office.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
But once you're on the bridge, if you turn around before reaching the US side (which you can), you'll have to re-enter Canada providing the required documentation. So if you're on a single-entry visa, not so good...
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by B1
You exit Canada without any check. If you have a visa that requires notation that you have left the country, you go to the Canada border office.
When I did it, the 'left the country' part required proof from the US side - either a stamp to say 'the person came to us, therefore left Canada' or enter and then exit the US. You could not just turn straight around on the bridge and reenter Canada for that purpose (visa, work permit, residency).

It turns out that the 'the person came to see us' part is actually a denial of entry to the US - do NOT do it, it will result in questions for years to come when entering the US (a friend opted to do this before I did mine, I learned from them and simply paid the $6, entered the US, wandered round the park, and then came back to Canada).

I don't know if for sightseeing this applies, I only know from the visa perspective. TBH the view from the bridge is not great, I personally wouldn't bother.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emma69
When I did it, the 'left the country' part required proof from the US side - either a stamp to say 'the person came to us, therefore left Canada' or enter and then exit the US. You could not just turn straight around on the bridge and reenter Canada for that purpose (visa, work permit, residency).

It turns out that the 'the person came to see us' part is actually a denial of entry to the US - do NOT do it, it will result in questions for years to come when entering the US (a friend opted to do this before I did mine, I learned from them and simply paid the $6, entered the US, wandered round the park, and then came back to Canada).

I don't know if for sightseeing this applies, I only know from the visa perspective. TBH the view from the bridge is not great, I personally wouldn't bother.
Thanks for the advice.

Ill probs just stick to the Canadian side!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:29 pm

Thanks for the advice.

Ill probs just stick to the Canadian side!
Great idea

The view from the bridge isn't that great anyway, from what I can tell on the official site

You have more vantage points on the tall structure besides the boat ticket booth
and views are certainly better on the CANADIAN side, all the way from Rainbow bridge to Table Rock
I was there twice in last month with friends/family, I know
Old Aug 10, 2015, 2:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Great idea

The view from the bridge isn't that great anyway, from what I can tell on the official site

You have more vantage points on the tall structure besides the boat ticket booth
and views are certainly better on the CANADIAN side, all the way from Rainbow bridge to Table Rock
I was there twice in last month with friends/family, I know
I honestly cant wait! Its gonna be a real moment of a lifetime getting to see the falls!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 7:36 pm
B1

Smile

I honestly cant wait! Its gonna be a real moment of a lifetime getting to see the falls!
You obviously haven't seen the famous quote from Oscar Wilde: "“Niagara will survive any criticism of mine. I must say this, however, that it is the first disappointment in the married life of many Americans who spend their honeymoon there.” And don't forget that since then most of the water has been diverted to a canal above the falls to a hydroelectric installation. You should look forward to the Grand Canyon, which is a somewhat larger item.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by B1
You obviously haven't seen the famous quote from Oscar Wilde: "“Niagara will survive any criticism of mine. I must say this, however, that it is the first disappointment in the married life of many Americans who spend their honeymoon there.” And don't forget that since then most of the water has been diverted to a canal above the falls to a hydroelectric installation. You should look forward to the Grand Canyon, which is a somewhat larger item.
my buddy from Belgium who has also been to iguasu was pretty impressed and enjoyed it. even the kitchy crap on the canadian side...
Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:30 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by B1
And don't forget that the BEST views are on Canadian side, and NOT from the bridge.

I crossed to Niagara Falls (the town/city/what's left of it) just a few days before 9-11, but doubt there's much more there now.

Skip crossing the border, take a boat ride instead, Maid of the Mist (IIRC) takes you right up to the falls in a boat ^
Old Aug 21, 2015, 4:36 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
Hello all,

I will be in Toronto at the end of the month for a 1 week holiday and I have arranged for a day trip to Niagara Falls (Canadian side).

I was wondering if it would be possible for me to walk across the Rainbow Bridge and look over Niagara without having to go through US CBP at the other side.

Could I take my passport, exit Canada, walk across the bridge, walk back again and re enter Canada?

Thanks,

FC
Hi,
you can walk and not go into USA. but you do need take your passport to get back to Canada. I walked it just last week, i did go to the USA side. Very easy process. Just to go on the bridge, the view is not good there. makes no sense.

in general, nice falls, but it's 1000% overrated. Especially Canada side is one big amusement park. falls are nice and big, but go to Iguazu Falls they are much better and bigger with nicer views.

did enjoy the day there though but would not return.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 8:08 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by christravelblog
falls are nice and big, but go to Iguazu Falls they are much better and bigger with nicer views.
And a little more expensive for most of us to get to

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.