Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

No hotel rooms avail anywhere near YVR this weekend!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:06 am
Original Poster

I want to book a room near YVR for this Saturday. I'm finding literally nothing available in the ~50km radius of YVR north of the border, other than a few rooms going for >$400USD/night. Even the Days Inn on Kingsway has just 1 room left at $600USD fcol. There's nothing in Burnaby or even Langley, and the the Best Western in Abbotsford is going for $350USD!

I know summer rates can be high near YVR, but I've never seen this type of room scarcity and jacked-up prices. Is there something going on in Vancouver this weekend? Or is this type of situation fairly common up there?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Not uncommon in cruise ship season.

Then add http://www.vancouverconventioncentre...annual-meeting into the mix.

AirBnB may be your only option at this point.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Air Canada 50K, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Others on Rotation
Hotwire has a downtown location around $500 CAD (about $380 USD) and a YVR location at slightly less.

I doubt very much you will find anything significantly below these prices this close to your date of travel.

Air BNB may be another option available to you or attempt to use points if available at a major chain.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Do you have a car? How about on the North Shore? The Pinnacle at the Pier, in North Vancouver, a nice Seabus ride from the Vancouver Waterfront, is beautiful. Or if you want more of a budget place and have a car, there is a Best Western and the Grouse Inn on Capilano Road at Marine Drive in North Vancouver and a Holiday Inn down by the Iron Workers Bridge. Depending on what you are doing here (tourist?) the North Shore is a great place to be.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Okay, thanks.
That's really crazy. Seattle's another cruise town, but the hotels down here never get like this... certainly not the ones out in the Seattle suburbs. There's not even anything way out in Langley and Surrey.

I looked into points, but Hyatt's only got like 1 or 2 rooms left and it's not redeemable with points. There's a Hampton Inn with one room going for >$400 before tax, or 130,000 points!

Wondering if I should take this $356USD hotel on Hotwire. But it's $450 after taxes and fees. That just seems insane.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
Do you have a car? How about on the North Shore? The Pinnacle at the Pier, in North Vancouver, a nice Seabus ride from the Vancouver Waterfront, is beautiful. Or if you want more of a budget place and have a car, there is a Best Western and the Grouse Inn on Capilano Road at Marine Drive in North Vancouver and a Holiday Inn down by the Iron Workers Bridge. Depending on what you are doing here (tourist?) the North Shore is a great place to be.
There is nothing up there either. I can look again.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:43 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
It happens.

When traveling was part of my work I had to be in San Francisco, but thanks to Oracle convention, there were no rooms.

I tried to explain that to the boss, who couldn't understand why I could not find a room when she Pricelined a downtown hotel the week before for about a hundred bucks
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
As another poster said, check AirBnB, I see a few downtown condos available for the weekend for <$300USD/night.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:30 am

I don't know if Hilton status has that guaranteed availability but maybe you can try it at the Hampton?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks, guys.

I've actually decided to cancel my trip, although this isn't the only reason.

Hotel-wise, things are back to looking completely normal the following weekend everywhere around Vancouver. So I have to think that this Academy of Managers Convention (pointed out by gglave) is the cause of this madness.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.