Wiki Posts
Search

Vancouver post cruise

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 2:34 pm
azj
Original Poster

Vancouver post cruise

We'll be ending our cruise in Vancouver in the morning and then flying out the following mid-afternoon. We'd love to spend more time, but it isn't possible.

As such, we're interested in maximizing our time seeing what we can. As of now, I've booked us at the Pan Pacific hotel taking advantage of their post cruise package. This is roughly $475 usd for 3 people, however breafast is only for 2, a $60 cad value. My plan was to do a hop on hop off tour of the city, or use the public transport to get a quick overview, have dinner and then have a leisurely morning making our way to the airport around lunch time via Skytrain. The only advantage to the Pan Pacific is proximity to the pier and breakfast for 2, since this is post cruise we can't avail of the luggage transfer.

The other option is to take a post cruise tour of the city from the ship which would drop us at any hotel in downtown or Richmond. I can use points for a hotel by the airport, which would dramatically cut costs. We'd end up at the hotel by the airport by 2pm and then would likely have to take the train back into the city for the evening. This option, while cheaper, sounds like too much of a hassle. I should also add I'm usually loyal to Starwood properties but only the Sheraton Wall Center is available for lots more $$$

Any thoughts?
Old May 18, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: NEXUS, Hilton - Gold, Fairmont - Plat, AA - Plat MM, DL - Gold, UA - Silver
1. Granville Island is a short bus ride from the Pan Pacific, and is worth a few hours.
2. Avoid Gastown and Chinatown.
3. Pan Pacific is a superb hotel inside the Vancouver Convention Center. Fine dining option is Five Sails Restaurant. If you're a gourmand, eat dinner there.
4. Consider taking Helijet from Vancouver Harbor to the airport. You may even be able to store luggage with them.
http://helijet.com/scheduled-airline...ons-heliports/
Old May 19, 2015, 7:13 pm

Staying at the Pan Pacific is convenient in that you can likely just drop your stuff off and go. There are a few attractions nearby (Jack Poole Plaza, Convention Centre, great views to the north shore, a seawall walk, etc) and the HOHO's stop there. Beyond that, you need to hoof it a little bit (or jump on a skytrain) to get to other interesting areas (Gastown, livelier areas of downtown, etc). The area is very walkable tho, IMO.

If you stay in Richmond, if you stay by a Canada Line station (eg. River Rock) it's a pretty easy ride back into the downtown core.

A Canada line station will be a bit of a hike from the Wall Centre.

Attractions in the downtown core and just outside are fairly easily reachable by public transit (maybe consider getting a transit day pass) and a bit of walking (weather dependent of course). I wouldn't rule out using a HOHO if just for convenience (or if the weather is suspect) but IMO, they are a bit pricey.

I think my favourite activity in general is just walking the various seawalls (if it's sunny). Most of them are along nice scenic spots in Vancouver (Stanley Park, English Bay, Granville Island, etc) but keep in mind, some of the walks are very long so you might only want to do segments.

We're impartial to Mia Stainsby's (local food critic) resto recommendations. Here's a list of her recommended restaurants.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
other hotel options

Your best Starwood option is the Westin Bayshore - but - there is no way its worth more $$ than the Pan Pacific. The Westin is in a fab area (Stanley Park), with great vistas & good-size rooms. By contrast, the Sheraton Wall Centre has tiny rooms..........the only reason to stay there is lounge access (if you have Plat/Gold status?) Richmond has more affordable Starwood options, but forget ambiance.

My PF is the Fairmont - 3 downtown, 1 @ YVR. The Waterfront has fab views, but my choice would be the grand maiden of them all, the Hotel Vancouver. Check the Entree Gold rates for your date.........if its comparable to the Pan Pacific, you will not be disappointed! In addition to comp brekkie & hors d'oeuvres, they serve tea & scones at 3 pm..........it will feel like you are still on the cruise!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.