Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can a Citizen be turned away if entering under another Passport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2015, 8:46 am
Original Poster

This is more out of curiosity. But I once had a Canada border person tell me I should also submit my Canadian passport (even though its expired) when entering on my British passport so that I can't be turned away.

Its quite obvious on my British passport that I was born in Canada, but I just don't use the Canadian one. I don't really want to carry it on my trips back, so my question is. If it came down to it and for some odd ball reason someone was in a pissy mood. Could they really deny me entrance and send me packing even though I'm a citizen, although traveling on a different passport?

Cheers.
Old May 11, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: AP 50k
Pretty sure that as a citizen you have the right to enter Canada. It is up to you, however, to prove that citizenship. If the CBSA has grounds to believe you aren't a citizen they can deny you entry on whatever grounds they found. You can fight it in court where you still have to prove your citizenship. If you are caught with a criminal record, you are still allowed to return (as long as you aren't a fugitive) but might be a problem if you can't prove your citizenship.

Originally Posted by rayb1
This is more out of curiosity. But I once had a Canada border person tell me I should also submit my Canadian passport (even though its expired) when entering on my British passport so that I can't be turned away.

Its quite obvious on my British passport that I was born in Canada, but I just don't use the Canadian one. I don't really want to carry it on my trips back, so my question is. If it came down to it and for some odd ball reason someone was in a pissy mood. Could they really deny me entrance and send me packing even though I'm a citizen, although traveling on a different passport?

Cheers.
Old May 11, 2015, 11:03 am
B1

If you are entering Canada by air as a citizen, you are required to have a passport as proof. If you say you are a citizen of Canada to the border officer and present the passport of another country, you are inadmissible until you present the required proof. Then it's up to the officer to decide what to do about it. You can easily avoid this problem by always traveling on your Canadian passport and also carry the passports of any country you will enter where you are also a citizen. If you are citizen of Canada and live in Canada then when you travel abroad you should always have a Canadian passport, for readmission and also for the chance that you might need consular assistance.
Old May 11, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
I have Canadian and American citizenship and am a resident of Canada. A few years ago my Canadian passport had expired and I drove across the border for the day with only my American passport. When I returned to Canada the border guard gave me a very hard time about coming into Canada without proof of citizenship or residency. The real issue is residency because people of dozens of countries (such as the USA) can come into Canada to visit with only their home country's passport but they can't come to Canada permanently to live and work with only their passport. Fortunately my ignorance was excused but only after going to a separate office and being quizzed on a number of bits of information about myself that they had on their files about me in order to verify who I said I was.
Old May 11, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by rayb1

Cheers.
Just because you were born in Canada doesn't mean you are a Canadian citizen or hold a Canadian passport. Many countries require using that countries passport when entering ( I know the US says this). So if you are a Canadian passport holder you are suppose to enter Canada on that passport.
Old May 15, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
I agree with the other posters. It may be less convenient, but you actually have a duty to use a Canadian passport if you travel into Canada and you're a Canadian citizen. There may be situations where using a Canadian passport might be preferable to your UK one as well, when traveling abroad to other countries.

Still, even if it's just for Canada, have a Canadian passport. If you really find it to be onerous you could choose to give up your Canadian citizenship. This is fairly simple but is generally irreversible.
Old May 15, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Always renew your passport(s) and use the home one each time.

Renewal is usually very easy as long as you do not let your previous passport lapse for too long (or in some countries maybe you shouldn't let it lapse at all). Otherwise they can make you jump through hoops again to get a passport issued.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.