Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Re-entry visa required for side-trip to Seattle-Vancouver?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm flying into Vancouver from Singapore. Going back to explore Vancouver for a few days before driving down to Seattle for a few days, then back up to Whistler. I know many have discouraged having the car in Whistler, but having checked out the rates, this seems the cheaper and more flexible option for us.

From my understanding, Singaporeans are not required to apply for a tourist visa beforehand into Canada. My question is to confirm whether we would need to apply for any visas before we arrive, due to us travelling in then out then in again into Canada.

Also, the US side. We would need to apply for an ESTA, even if we drive in from Canada?

Any other tips regarding the drive would be much appreciated.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
I can't speak to your specific question, but I can say that, Americans and Canadians excepted, the Customs & Immigration rules for crossing to / from Canada at the land border are exactly the same as crossing by air.

So whether you are flying to San Francisco, or driving to Seattle it's the same, and all relevant visas and documentation apply.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I have Singapore citizen relatives and can confirm you don't need a re-entry visa for returning to Canada from the U.S.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by gglave
I can't speak to your specific question, but I can say that, Americans and Canadians excepted, the Customs & Immigration rules for crossing to / from Canada at the land border are exactly the same as crossing by air.

So whether you are flying to San Francisco, or driving to Seattle it's the same, and all relevant visas and documentation apply.
They're not exactly the same. If you arrive by air you need an ESTA. If you arrive at the land crossing then you don't need one.

If the only time the OP is going to enter the US (including connections on the way to Vancouver) is at the land border then they won't need to apply for an ESTA at all.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...nada-or-mexico,
Old Mar 21, 2015, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for pointing me in the right direction. Turns out my ESTA is still valid since I have one from last year anyway. But I don't won't be needing it. However, I would need the I-94 form. But the question is where I would get one. Is there any way to get one before hitting the checkpoint so I don't have to stop there too long to fill in the form?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Value4Money
Thanks all for pointing me in the right direction. Turns out my ESTA is still valid since I have one from last year anyway. But I don't won't be needing it. However, I would need the I-94 form. But the question is where I would get one. Is there any way to get one before hitting the checkpoint so I don't have to stop there too long to fill in the form?
You can download your I-94 form starting here.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks ajGoes, but that link is for checking the completed forms. My trip is later in the year. Actually, what I meant was that do I need to physically fill in the form at the checkpoint or is there any way for me to get a blank form to fill in earlier so I don't hold up the line at the checkpoint.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Thanks ajGoes, but that link is for checking the completed forms. My trip is later in the year. Actually, what I meant was that do I need to physically fill in the form at the checkpoint or is there any way for me to get a blank form to fill in earlier so I don't hold up the line at the checkpoint.
You could go to a US pre-clearance entrance at Vancouver when you arrive, or ask whoever is meeting you to do that, and ask for a form but I've seen the form and unless you are a really meticulous fountain pen sort of person, I don't think you will be holding up too many people for too long .
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Sometimes the airplane has spare forms even if the flight is not going to the U.S.

I would ask on every plane I took, especially since Singapore to Vancouver probably involves at least two planes.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by Box5
Sometimes the airplane has spare forms even if the flight is not going to the U.S.

I would ask on every plane I took, especially since Singapore to Vancouver probably involves at least two planes.
Airplane arrivals don't use the i-94 forms anymore.
Usually I get sent to secondary when I cross by car as most inspectors don't know the regulations for non-US or non-Canadian visitors.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Is there any way to get one before hitting the checkpoint
I passed through the USA transborder checkpoint at YVR yesterday, so I did a quick check to see if I could grab you an I-94. All they had available in the customs hall was the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Declaration Form 6059B (the blue one used by arriving air travellers) - I couldn't see an I-94 anywhere.

Sorry.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Yes, unless things have changed, you'll be at the border post quite a while. Took us about 45mins to get through last time - I think you'll be sent to the secondary screening point (this isn't as officious as it sounds) as they need to do the biometrics. We hit the place first thing in the morning but it was still busy. I think there's a website somewhere that shows historical wait times - probably worth checking that out and trying to plan accordingly.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Sorry to sound so long-winded. I'm trying to visualize how it would be like crossing the border by driving. Would it be similar to driving through from Singapore to Malaysia where we don't even get out of the car? We simply show our passports at the checkpoint and the immigration officer would stamp our passports? Or do we need to park our vehicles somewhere and then go and retrieve them once we've cleared secondary?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Sorry to sound so long-winded. I'm trying to visualize how it would be like crossing the border by driving. Would it be similar to driving through from Singapore to Malaysia where we don't even get out of the car? We simply show our passports at the checkpoint and the immigration officer would stamp our passports? Or do we need to park our vehicles somewhere and then go and retrieve them once we've cleared secondary?
It all depends.

For cars with 100% American/Canadian passport holders with proper documentation it is questions and then let through. Passport or equivalent travel documents are scanned but no longer stamped at the kiosk.

Anyone who needs additional processing will be asked to park and head into the office. This include issues during initial questioning and passport holders who need additional processing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.