Reload this Page >

First time in Montreal-Quebec - questions and tips

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time in Montreal-Quebec - questions and tips

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Personally with five days I'd do *either* Montreal *or* Quebec City and area. There are lots of things to do in both cities.
Old May 5, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: AP 50k
I would say stick to Montreal for 5 days. if you want to extend and do something different you can actually try Ottawa for a day. It's less of a drive (1.75 hours) and is just as cool as Quebec City. Plus if you are in town during a Canadiens playoff game (likely not but still holding out hope) check out the FanJam on St Jacques next to the Bell Centre. Lots of cool stuff going on.
Old May 13, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
tips

Local conversation tips;
- 2015 hockey playoffs.
- local traffic & gas prices
- when the ice goes off the lakes
- why the short old men with white hair look angry !.
Old May 14, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I have a similar trip planned before a cruise from Quebec-Boston. Here is my plan so far:
arrive Montreal Sept.6 @1:45pm check in Le Square Phillips Hotel for 3 nights
Sept. 9 train to Quebec, probably 1:00pm-4:22pm #24.
Check in to Hotel Maison du Fort for 2 nights.
Sept. 11 board HAL Veendam
Sept. 12 sail away at 5:00pm

I have to figure out what to do for 3 days sightseeing in Montreal and 3 days sightseeing in Quebec. I also have to line up transportation from YUL to hotel, hotel to train station, train station in Quebec to hotel, and hotel to cruise ship.

Any suggestions? Are these 2 hotels located well for a tourist without a car?
Old May 27, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: AP 50k
Originally Posted by susiesan
I have a similar trip planned before a cruise from Quebec-Boston. Here is my plan so far:
arrive Montreal Sept.6 @1:45pm check in Le Square Phillips Hotel for 3 nights
Sept. 9 train to Quebec, probably 1:00pm-4:22pm #24.
Check in to Hotel Maison du Fort for 2 nights.
Sept. 11 board HAL Veendam
Sept. 12 sail away at 5:00pm

I have to figure out what to do for 3 days sightseeing in Montreal and 3 days sightseeing in Quebec. I also have to line up transportation from YUL to hotel, hotel to train station, train station in Quebec to hotel, and hotel to cruise ship.

Any suggestions? Are these 2 hotels located well for a tourist without a car?
Your Montreal hotel is located right next to McGill metro station. You can easily use the 747 to get from the airport to downtown (almost right next to Philips Square). You are in Downtown Montreal, close to the old port. You are smack dab in touristville.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Gold
thanks for the info bigjon94. Looks like I picked a good place to stay. We'll use the 747 bus from the airport to the city.

When we leave Montreal we can take a cab to the train station unless it is close enough to walk to from the McGill metro staiton. I hate taking luggage on the subway, going up and down stairs and trying to cram onto a subway car that isn't set up with luggage racks.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by yann
Hello,

We'll be staying for 5 nights around mid-May, arrving and departing from YUL.

We're slow travellers who enjoy both city visits and day trips in the country. We don't expect to see everything in one trip, but would like a good mix of places / atmospheres.

Is it OK to use Montreal as a base with a day trip to Quebec city included, or would we be missing something important and would we better off splitting the nights with Quebec city (or elsewhere in between)?

Thanks,
Yann
You could spend half your time in Montreal and half in Quebec City. Driving is about three hours, so you could drive to Quebec City, spend an afternoon, stay overnight, spend another day in Quebec City and head back to Montreal in the evening. You could travel by rental car, or some people also choose to ride the Via rail trains.

Have a great trip!
Old May 30, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: IHG, CC, HH, AF, AA, UA
Originally Posted by Cheese
You could spend half your time in Montreal and half in Quebec City. Driving is about three hours, so you could drive to Quebec City, spend an afternoon, stay overnight, spend another day in Quebec City and head back to Montreal in the evening. You could travel by rental car, or some people also choose to ride the Via rail trains.

Have a great trip!
We finally decided to stay in Montreal for the 5 nights and use a rental car for day trips on 2 days.

Montreal is a great city and we really enjoyed the Laurentians. We unfortunately couldn't really appreciate Quebec City due to the heavy rain on that day.

We'll come back.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
Originally Posted by yann
We finally decided to stay in Montreal for the 5 nights and use a rental car for day trips on 2 days.

Montreal is a great city and we really enjoyed the Laurentians. We unfortunately couldn't really appreciate Quebec City due to the heavy rain on that day.

We'll come back.
Glad to see you enjoyed Montreal - my hometown for the last 35+ years. Always something to do, and 5 days is not too much at all!

Quebec City is better in nicer weather - more of an outdoors place... but incredibly endearing - truly as close as you'll get to Europe anywhere in North America.

The rental car to visit the Laurentians was a good plan - as many others mentioned, absolutely no need in Montreal with excellent subway (Metro) connectivity and a relatively compact city core to explore.

Rob

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.