Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flights to Vancouver - Alaska or Westjet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF CL

Which airline offers the better service between LA and Vancouver - Alaska or Westjet? Looking for perspectives on both business (if available) and economy class.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
In terms of onboard experience, WestJet will be better. Crews are extremely friendly, and proud of it. No one is going to snap at you if you ask for a refill on your diet coke or if you want to buy another beer. WestJet also has seatback TV if that's important to you.

WestJet does not have business class.

They have "Economy Plus" with 36-39 inches of seat pitch, and an 18.5-inch wide seat - So if you don't have the budget for business class, but do have a few extra dollars to spend you can have a slightly better experience on WestJet.

...and regular economy with 31-33" of pitch, also with an 18.5 seat.

Alaska, while not as "friendly" does have business class. Out of LAX, Alaska will also be better equipped to help you during IRROPS, as they have a pretty extensive route network up and down the west coast, so if there's a glitch they can reroute you through SFO, PDX, SEA etc. All WestJet will be able to do is send you to Calgary or Edmonton and then on to Vancouver.

Last edited by gglave; Oct 20, 2014 at 9:54 am
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:46 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I've never flown WestJet, so can't comment on how friendly they are, but of US legacies I'd take Alaska over any airline (haven't flown jetBlue or Virgin which have good reputations).

And as gglave points out only AS has FC if that's what you want. If booked close in FC isn't much more than coach.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:47 pm

Very similar airlines in my opinion. I like WS, but depends if you need to connect through at YVR or LAX. The codeshare with AA helps on the US side. If you're needing to connect within Canada WS would be the better choice.

Last edited by FlyB; Oct 21, 2014 at 11:56 am
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
Westjet is always good value for the money.

I've flown WJ a few times and they've always provided decent service. I would recommend them.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF CL
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think the superior west coast network of Alaska might tip the balance in its favour for me.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:19 pm

Both have many daily flights LAX-YVR. WS also have a single daily SNA flight to YVR. I found service good on both, although WS is probably a little more friendly, as they have an almost WN sense of humour about them. Both do free beverages and snacks.

One thing to note is that AS has TSA Pre, while WS does not at this time.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by opethfan
Both have many daily flights LAX-YVR. WS also have a single daily SNA flight to YVR. I found service good on both, although WS is probably a little more friendly, as they have an almost WN sense of humour about them. Both do free beverages and snacks.

One thing to note is that AS has TSA Pre, while WS does not at this time.
WS really needs to get on board with the TSA Pre. That in itself tips the scales for me. I found out the hard way a few months ago when I flew both AS and WS in the same month and since the WS was the second flight, surely I was disappointed in the absence of TSA Pre.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.