Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

New Customs Procedure for US to Canada connections at YYZ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Customs Procedure for US to Canada connections at YYZ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
It's for Domestic - US.
This post is for US-Domestic. If this is real, it is new.
My bad. See Mr. Leblond's post above yours //downsides to never checking a bag
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:22 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
This one refers to outbound to the US.

The new pilot project refers to inbound from LAX into YYZ. Can't wait for it to be applied outright.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Well, I believe the program has expanded beyond LAX-YYZ-domestic flights - signs suggest SFO and SAN as well as LAX - can someone confirm that.

The concierge was also wondering if SEA has been added to the pilot program.

To Ben Lipsey or Andrew Yiu or anyone else from AC, perhaps you can confirm my statement? Of note, I do not see any notice of this pilot program on the AC.com web site.

Last edited by FlyerGoldII; Feb 22, 2015 at 9:36 am
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Well, I believe the program has expanded beyond LAX-YYZ-domestic flights - signs suggest SFO and SAN as well as LAX - can someone confirm that.

To Ben Lipsey or Andrew Yiu or anyone else from AC, perhaps you can confirm my statement? Of note, I do not see any notice of this pilot program on the AC.com web site.
I'm assuming its a CSBA initiative with AC as the pilot project carrier. If I were AC, I would avoid publicizing it until its officially approved.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by PLeblond
I'm assuming its a CSBA initiative with AC as the pilot project carrier. If I were AC, I would avoid publicizing it until its officially approved.

I would advertise it. I will tell you why.

If not advertised, then certain passengers (not reading those signs in the baggage hall), would be standing at the baggage carousels in vain. I would have done that last night (connecting from LAX to YOW via YYZ), if I had not been told that by the concierge.

The service director (flight attendant) on the LAX to YYZ plane mentioned that we need not pick up our bags - I actually thought I had misheard her statement and I thought what she actually said was that we do have to pick up our bags. I would suggest to AC if the service director on these flights does mention the policy of not having to pick up the bags, then he or she should clarify that this is a pilot project for those certain US west coast cities-YYZ-another Canadian city.

Even in your case, were you aware that this pilot program had expanded to include flights beyond those originating at LAX? If not, perhaps the next time you went from a non-LAX west coast US city to a Canadian city via YYZ, you might have made the same mistake at waiting for your bags at the baggage carousel (there would still be a baggage carousel assigned for that flight - as the bags would still come onto the baggage carousel for those passengers terminating their trip at YYZ).

Last edited by FlyerGoldII; Feb 22, 2015 at 10:07 am
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:19 am

If this policy is eventually finalized, I wonder if the legal and practical connection time at YYZ from a transborder flight originating in a US city and connecting to an ongoing domestic flight, would be shortened.

Yesterday, with the help of the concierge and with the help of nexus and taking account we arrived at YYZ around midnight, it took 20 min to go from the gate of the arriving transborder flight, to the gate of the departing domestic flight.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:49 pm

If not advertised, then certain passengers (not reading those signs in the baggage hall), would be standing at the baggage carousels in vain. I would have done that last night (connecting from LAX to YOW via YYZ), if I had not been told that by the concierge.

The service director (flight attendant) on the LAX to YYZ plane mentioned that we need not pick up our bags - I actually thought I had misheard her statement and I thought what she actually said was that we do have to pick up our bags. I would suggest to AC if the service director on these flights does mention the policy of not having to pick up the bags, then he or she should clarify that this is a pilot project for those certain US west coast cities-YYZ-another Canadian city.

Even in your case, were you aware that this pilot program had expanded to include flights beyond those originating at LAX? If not, perhaps the next time you went from a non-LAX west coast US city to a Canadian city via YYZ, you might have made the same mistake at waiting for your bags at the baggage carousel (there would still be a baggage carousel assigned for that flight - as the bags would still come onto the baggage carousel for those passengers terminating their trip at YYZ).
There is supposed to be signage as Andrews statement in the earlier thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23646533-post22.html

(Aslo, did I see you commented on that earlier thread? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23619711-post10.html)

I understand your comment and it makes sense, but in all honesty, I think it would cost more confusion that help. Since is only from LAX-YYZ, many people would likely misread it and end up by-passing their luggage and getting in trouble with CSBP. Its a case of pick your poison.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Last I went through it's LAX, SFO, SAN, SEA, and I believe HNL?
Old Feb 22, 2015, 2:55 pm

There is supposed to be signage as Andrews statement in the earlier thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23646533-post22.html

(Aslo, did I see you commented on that earlier thread? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23619711-post10.html)

I understand your comment and it makes sense, but in all honesty, I think it would cost more confusion that help. Since is only from LAX-YYZ, many people would likely misread it and end up by-passing their luggage and getting in trouble with CSBP. Its a case of pick your poison.
The (new, current) sign reads more than LAX originating flights are part of this new program.

PS-I had forgotten all about the old thread, including the fact that I myself had asked a question about the program on that thread!
Old Feb 22, 2015, 3:01 pm

The (new, current) sign reads more than LAX originating flights are part of this new program.

PS-I had forgotten all about the old thread, including the fact that I myself had asked a question about the program on that thread!
Glad to hear its expanding. If and when it does go all out, it will give YYZ and advantage as a point of return to Canada. For me, at least.

And no worries. I just did a double-take when looking for information about signage.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 3:12 pm

Glad to hear its expanding. If and when it does go all out, it will give YYZ and advantage as a point of return to Canada. For me, at least.
Not sure will give any advantage. Just will reduce the USA-YYZ-Home disadvantage.
I'm a flyer more concerned with hassle/convenience/schedule than price. I travel frequently to USA and AC has never crossed my mind when exYOW outside of the few occasions where AC served my destination nonstop from YOW.

Have to imagine there are many others not exYUL/YYZ/YVR in the same situation as I. USA-ORD-YOW is an absolute dream compared to USA-YYZ-YOW. I'd prefer to support Canadian carrier but not at the expense of my convenience.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Not sure will give any advantage. Just will reduce the USA-YYZ-Home disadvantage.
I'm a flyer more concerned with hassle/convenience/schedule than price. I travel frequently to USA and AC has never crossed my mind when exYOW outside of the few occasions where AC served my destination nonstop from YOW.

Have to imagine there are many others not exYUL/YYZ/YVR in the same situation as I. USA-ORD-YOW is an absolute dream compared to USA-YYZ-YOW. I'd prefer to support Canadian carrier but not at the expense of my convenience.
I usually travel to other than transborder. I'll admit for transborder I avoid YYZ by leaving YUL to connect via the US, or fly out of BTV.

But for flights out of other countries, the only difference between connecting via the US and via YYZ was 1 additional Global Entry terminal (total 5 minutes, max). If YYZ removes the need to wait for luggage, it just gained a few notches over connecting via EWR/ORD/IAD/IAH et. al.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
It's for Domestic - US.
This post is for US-Domestic. If this is real, it is new.
My flight in December from SFO-YYZ had this as well, so it's not "that" new.

Definitely SFO.

So they did advertise it. The SD made an announcement. It was probably translated into at least one other language.

My flight was similar. The SD made an announcement. I ignored it, because I was done in YYZ.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
My flight in December from SFO-YYZ had this as well, so it's not "that" new.

Definitely SFO.

So they did advertise it. The SD made an announcement. It was probably translated into at least one other language.

My flight was similar. The SD made an announcement. I ignored it, because I was done in YYZ.
My point is that the announcement for picking up bags or not picking up bags should be made on all AC transborder flights with arrival at YYZ.

For these flights from the west coast, it should be emphasized that the requirement that the bags not have to be picked up is part of a pilot program from certain US cities; if this is not mentioned, then when the passenger arrives on the next transborder non-west coast flight at YYZ, he/she may not even go to the baggage carousel.

I will be flying to Atlanta today for a business meeting, and arriving back (via YYZ) tomorrow. I will see if the service director mentions that the bags should be picked up.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan

I can confirm that this was the case for SFO a few weeks ago.

The sad part was that my jacket was inside my gate-checked carry-on (no thanks to the overzealous GA in SFO) and I had to connect onto a Beechcraft 1900D.

Brrrr....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.