Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

New Customs Procedure for US to Canada connections at YYZ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Customs Procedure for US to Canada connections at YYZ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:33 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Wow. If this goes systemwide it would be great! Assuming Nexus is still an option, of course.

Would offer more 'lounge-time' on connections.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Just landed at YYZ. This is only for flights from LAX at the moment, there are signs at CBSA and GTAA workers who were reminding passengers of this new procedure.

Still have to re clear security, as only LAX flighta have this capability and you are dumped into the same customs and baggage hall.
After arriving in YUL from YYZ, were your bags (LAX-YYZ-YUL) dispensed at the same baggage claim as those that originated elsewhere in Canada?

I know that the UK has a system where you don't pick up your bags when connecting at LHR to a domestic destination. However, once at the domestic destination, bags that originated from outside the UK are dispensed at a different baggage claim area.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:51 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by sweden05
Aaargh! Hope that's temporary....
That's not my understanding of how it should be so I've asked for that to be clarified with the Gtaa (as I know which sign you are talking about as it makes a blanket statement about no Nexus). You should still be allowed to use nexus; no need to see an officer if you have no bags; if you do then you need to see them to make sure bags are cleared. Will update once I hear back.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by daniellam
After arriving in YUL from YYZ, were your bags (LAX-YYZ-YUL) dispensed at the same baggage claim as those that originated elsewhere in Canada?

I know that the UK has a system where you don't pick up your bags when connecting at LHR to a domestic destination. However, once at the domestic destination, bags that originated from outside the UK are dispensed at a different baggage claim area.
Same carousel as other bags.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by cruzcap
Andrew..if you can provide more comment...I have a large group connecting in January from FLL/MIA/PBI airports through YYZ and YUL to various other stations. Any idea if this will be running for all by then? Much thanks
Can't discuss if and what other origins the trial might include in the near future as this is done jointly with CBSA but we're very excited about this as well and you can be sure that if the trials are successful we'll be pushing for expansions!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:51 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, AC*MM, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
Will update once I hear back.
Thank you very much, Andrew.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Geoflying
Arriving YYZ on Wednesday I noticed that at the NEXUS line it said that passengers from LAX could not use NEXUS but had to see an agent.

A downside of the new test I suppose
Just got confirmation from the GTAA that the sign is being changed to reflect the proper procedures - everyone can continue to use NEXUS, if you have a connecting flight with bags, you just need to see the officer to make sure your bags are cleared.

The sign will state NEXUS members arriving from Los Angeles - LAX with a connecting flight and checked baggage must present their Nexus receipt to an officer.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:33 pm

This is *huge*! If this came about because of AC pushing the CBSA and GTAA kudos to you for understanding what your customers really care about. Having to pick up bags and go through extra security checks were major factors in deciding where to connect.

In YYZ in particular I always wondered why there wasn't a corridor from the immigration desks across to the transfer security bypassing the baggage hall for people traveling without bags. There's an obvious place to put such a corridor -- so obvious it looks like the building was designed to have it. That would have allowed passengers without bags to skip a long walk and the redundant security.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Andrew - I hope when fully implemented that there can be some kind of bypass queue (like the E gates transfer queue) to allow passengers directly back into the D gate area without having to re-clear security. Even if this is for NEXUS members only.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
New: AC/CBSA transborder connecting west-coast flights-no bag pickup at YYZ!

I found out from the concierge (there are signs in the YYZ T1 customs hall, if one looks for a notice on this pilot program) last night when connecting from a flight from LAX to YOW via YYZ - that checked bags from certain west coast cities need not be picked up, but are checked through the final destination, when going on to a connecting domestic flight.

I wonder if someone can expand on this pilot program.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:15 am

These is a thread about this. It started about 6 months ago.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by PLeblond
These is a thread about this. It started about 6 months ago.

Can you provide the link? I did a search and did not find any such thread.

I am also surprised that the thread posts are not more recent - the YYZ concierge said that this is a new program.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Can you provide the link? I did a search and did not find any such thread.

I am also surprised that the thread posts are not more recent - the YYZ concierge said that this is a new program.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...z-yul-yvr.html

Been 2 years now...
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:21 am

Here'S the link tot he one I was referring to

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...tions-yyz.html
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
It's for Domestic - US.
This post is for US-Domestic. If this is real, it is new.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.