Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gas station info for YHZ

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Gas station info for YHZ

I find it very surprising that the only established gas station at an airport can not make a good buck. Maybe they failed because they failed to advertise the fact that gas costs the same at the airport as downtown? Most travellers probably assume that it is more expensive.

The current gas station is also far from 24/7. There is not even an automatic gas dispenser after hours. I'm not sure how that influenced economics.

This is the official lingo from Halifax airport:

August 27, 2014

Please be advised that the Petro-Canada gas station and convenience store on Bell Boulevard will be closing permanently on Tuesday, September 2, 2014. The station's owners, Suncor Energy Inc., recently confirmed this decision to HIAA.

In response to this development, HIAA sought proposals for a temporary gas station installation and has signed an agreement with Irving Oil. Irving is installing a temporary station on a site near the Petro-Canada site, although the new station's entrance/exit will be from Goudey Drive. You may have already noticed equipment on the site.

This temporary facility is targeting September 2, 2014 as its operational date. The Airport Authority's objective is to ensure uninterrupted, on-site availability of gasoline for the thousands of daily passengers and visitors, taxi and limousine operators, as well as for the on-site rental car operators.

The Irving site will offer three grades of gasoline; a fully stocked convenience store; commercial card program; pay-at-the-pump technology; Air Miles Reward Miles; and 24/7 operations. Opening specials will include complimentary coffee and 2X Air Miles on qualifying fuel purchases.

HIAA will now pursue a long-term arrangement with a gas station/convenience store operator as part of its commercial development.

HIAA Corporate Communications
Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by sokolov
I find it very surprising that the only established gas station at an airport can not make a good buck. Maybe they failed because they failed to advertise the fact that gas costs the same at the airport as downtown? Most travellers probably assume that it is more expensive.
Don’t think that is the case at all and as has been reported elsewhere……probably due to negotiations with HIAA that just went sour and Suncor pulled the plug. The station has required an upgrade for some time now.

And besides……when the airport’s new access road system opens next year…..The station in its current location will be located on a one-way inbound road to the terminal building. Outbound traffic to Highway 102 would have to loop around to access the pumps. Just won’t be an ideal location anymore.

Last edited by ghYHZ; Aug 30, 2014 at 7:46 am
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

I've now heard that Irving outbid Suncor for the right to operate the gas station.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

The temporary gas station is 24/7, which is definitely an improvement. And I would expect the forthcoming permanent station to be 24/7 as well.
Old May 16, 2016, 10:19 am
Original Poster

BTW: The new, permanent gas station is a little more expensive than other gas stations the area. Not unusual for an airport, but new for YHZ.

In Nova Scotia, self serve gas stations tend to have the same sticker gas price within a region.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Useful thread.

The permanent gas station is now 24 hour, and I found it 1c cheaper than others I passed, though I didn't go into Halifax town center. There are about 6 pumps, including ones that take cards directly.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:39 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Would a Mod change the title to possibly 'Gas Station info for YHZ'. This thread is 2 years old. That Temp gas station has long ago been replaced by a permanent Irving.
Thanks.

[Mod reply: thank you for the suggestion. I've retitled the thread. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 24, 2016 at 7:53 pm Reason: To add reply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.