2 Weeks 2 Kids 2 Countries In July

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 Weeks 2 Kids 2 Countries In July

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
More like rush hours. 7-9 is peak with the hour before and after still heavy.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:52 pm
B1

Originally Posted by Shanye2233
Ok so what time is rush hour. What time should I leave to get out before the rush hour and what's a nice place to stop for lunch driving between Toronto and Montreal?

Myself wife and two kids not interested in any wineries .

Has anyone had any previous experience with hertz at yyz I have booked a standard car and I'm a PC I requested a upgrade to a SUV. Also is there any problems driving the car into these other parts montreal and USA with the car I rented from hertz do I need additional paper work.
You can't get out ahead of the rush hour. This time of year when people are on holiday, traffic is not as bad. It's better to go after the rush hour than try to be early.
For a picnic stop, use the Thousand Islands Parkway (Gananoque to Brockville) and stop at a picnic area by the water. If you want a restaurant, go into downtown Kingston - exit at Division Street (it's not very close to the highway but the waterfront is nice and there are lots of informal restaurants on Princess Street.)
For the rental car, I believe that if you plan to use it outside of Canada (and you must let the agency know for insurance purposes) you lose the unlimited mileage and are left with only 200 km free per day. If you rent in the USA there is no restriction, even if you cross the border.
You mention staying at the Andaz and parking elsewhere. The Andaz is in lower Manhattan and parking is expensive of course. Airport parking is expensive also and very inconvenient. I would park near a PATH station (with low fare trains directly to Wall Street, a short way from the hotel). Look at this
http://www.city-data.com/knowledge/H..._station_.html
"I practiced the commute today, took less than 1hr 15 door-to-door each way. The metered parking is suspended and I think it's only 10 hours, I probably need at least 12 hrs. You can't beat the lot right across from the station, $7 for the day, $145 per month.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...#ixzz35gBAEqMa

Last edited by B1; Jun 25, 2014 at 1:04 pm
Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:06 pm

When we go to Manhattan, I drive up to Staten Island and park near the ferry terminal. I've left the car there as long as 5 days at time. In the off season (baseball season) it's $7/day, which is less than the average Manhattan garage charges per hour. Don't know what their rates and policies are in baseball season, but it would be worth checking on. Plus, if you take the family with you to claim the car, the ferry ride is great for kids.

As for Cedar Point with kids 4 and 6: been there, done that, would not do it again. They're too small for the roller coasters and the park's section for small kids was not very good. Instead I'd take them to the nearby water park if they like water attractions.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
200kms a day are you sure I better ring and double check that because I'm driving everywhere . When I cross the borders is there any stop checks or is it straight across into the USA.

Maybe I should take my time before I leave from the airport to start driving say about 10am hopefully the traffic would have died down by then. I will have. A look into thousand island parkway and see where about its at I'm looking for something kinda in the middle of the journey to break it up give the kids a stretch and take in the sights.

These parking options doesn't sound very secure and I don't want to be worried about the Car for a week. Maybe I can find something near the andaz Wall Street that offers weekly parking options.

And yeah I was going to give cedar point a miss and look for a enjoyable water park anything hello kitty or peppa pig they enjoy. My youngest daughter even two years later keeps telling me she wants to go to london to peppa pig world. I think the toys are us in NYC is their flagship store that should keep them busy for a few hours.

So coming out of Montreal am I going to run into rush hour ago what's the best time to leave to drive into New York
Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Yes you better check for sure. I have been hit by that "fine print" limitation before and had to change car reservation at the last minute. Usually it is the family long distance travel vehicles (minivans and SUV) that get this while other "cars" does not.

Do check on the internet about the average wait time at border control (US CBP and Canadian CBSA) The process is show document and answer questions but the line up can get very long at certain time of the day and hour.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:37 pm

200kms a day are you sure I better ring and double check that because I'm driving everywhere . When I cross the borders is there any stop checks or is it straight across into the USA.
Pretty much any car rental company will have some sort of border crossing rules. Might be limited free miles, might be the car isn't allowed to be taken across the border at all, might be only certain models are allowed to be taken into the US from Canada. I've encountered versions of all 3 rules.

These parking options doesn't sound very secure and I don't want to be worried about the Car for a week. Maybe I can find something near the andaz Wall Street that offers weekly parking options.
Are you driving a Jaguar or a midsize family car? I wouldn't park a high end luxury car there, but I've seen plenty of Mercedes and BMW's in the ball park lot. I took at quick look at the parking rates near Wall Street. Five days will cost you between US $220 and $480, and that's with the coupon and reservations made on the websites.

I think the toys are us in NYC is their flagship store that should keep them busy for a few hours.
A few hours in the Toys'R'Us store? Doing what? There aren't any play tables, just things to buy and 1 ride, which breaks down regularly. Even during the Christmas chaos, my kid gets his Lego's and we're out of there in 45 minutes despite the ridiculous check-out lines.

If you want toy stores for your kids, consider either the American Girl Doll store, which has fancy cafe for kids, or Build-a-Bear, where they can stuff and dress their own stuffed animal (for a fee).

Also consider the Natural History Museum; it has tons of kid friendly activities and if you get rainy weather is a much nicer place to be than out sightseeing in wet weather. The Metropolitan Museum of Art is good, too. Just ask for the kid packets at the info desk.

So coming out of Montreal am I going to run into rush hour ago what's the best time to leave to drive into New York
Try to be at the border crossing before 10 a.m. and the traffic should be minimal, or at least that's our experience. It's less than an hour from Montreal.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

I rang hertz they said I have unlimited Kms and I can travel into USA with this vehicle . I have rented a FULLSIZE CAR AUTOMATIC AIR
CHEVROLET IMPALA OR SIMILAR

And asked for a upgrade as a PC member with hertz. I also have the rate of $34USD parking the car with andaz Wall Street so maybe this will be the best option.

How long is the drive from Montreal to Woodbury outlets and then again how long to New York City time square and the best time to arrive to avoid the chaos.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:05 am

Are you factoring in the parking garage tax in Manhattan? I believe it is 18.375%.

Also remember in the US there is sales tax on most good and some services, like hotels and restaurants. It is added to the purchase price, not included in the posted price.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Not sure just going from what I'm reading .

http://newyork.wallstreet.andaz.hyat...l/parking.html

I'm more concerned about the journey and if I'm allowing enough time and still can enjoy ourselfs
Old Jun 26, 2014, 5:02 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Ditch the rental car, take the train

I suggest you forget about the car rental and take the train. Amtrak has a daily service from Montreal to New York, and on the rtn. from Penn Station to Toronto Union Station (stops in Niagara Falls). Fares are as low as $67 for you and 1/2 price for the girls. Great scenery and much easier to entertain them (WIFI on board).

You can also take VIA Rail from Union to Montreal. Sit on the right side of the train (4-plex) for great views of Lake Ontario (has free WIFI as well).

NYC is one of my favorite destinations. The girls will LOVE Toys'r'Us (arrive early to score tix. on the ferris wheel).
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:46 am

Not sure just going from what I'm reading .

http://newyork.wallstreet.andaz.hyat...l/parking.html

I'm more concerned about the journey and if I'm allowing enough time and still can enjoy ourselfs
Driving from Montreal to NYC is 6 to 9 hours, depending on the border crossing and traffic. If there is a bad accident on the thruway, you can end up sitting for hours because it is a limited access road - I speak from personal experience on that.

About halfway is the resort area around Lake George. Lots of restaurants, a decent beach and playground, and a nice sightseeing boats on the lake.

Up thread you mentioned trying to get upgraded to an SUV. For the driving you've described that vehicle makes no sense: you'd pay more for gas and it would be harder to park in NYC.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

I cant stop between Montreal and New York its a straight drive down only stopping at the Woodbury outlets to buy some things. I wanted a SUV because there are cars there you can't rent in australia and this would give me the chance. The costs for the rental for two weeks is $500CAD so it a pretty good deal.

I will get the early to get tix for the ride in toys are us.

So it seems this intin is ok to go ahead with it , just while I'm on the point what about the tolls , etc Ido I need a special pass?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:32 pm

I cant stop between Montreal and New York its a straight drive down only stopping at the Woodbury outlets to buy some things. I wanted a SUV because there are cars there you can't rent in australia and this would give me the chance. The costs for the rental for two weeks is $500CAD so it a pretty good deal.

So it seems this intin is ok to go ahead with it , just while I'm on the point what about the tolls , etc Ido I need a special pass?
Montreal to Woodbury Outlets is a minimum of 5 hours on the road and could be double that if there's a back-up at the border crossing or traffic. You will have to stop for gasoline, and don't you feed your kids or let them use a restroom? What's so incredibly important about an outlet mall? There's more than a few of them along your route.

If you are driving an SUV there be will garages that won't allow the vehicle because of its height and others that may charge you extra to park it.

You can pay cash for the tolls but you must be in the correct lane. Most lanes are now EZ-Pass only, so watch the signs closely. Paying cash for tolls will also increase your driving time.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 6:12 am
Original Poster

I thought I read those Woodbury outlets are the biggest and cheapest because there is no additional taxes . I'm going to ask at they counter for a plate-pass which allows all the tolls on the vehicle automatically I believe . Also does anyone know if I do the pre-paid fuel at yyz it's a good cheaper option then on the road.

And of course I'm going to stop if someone needs to get out or snacks ,bathroom etc I'm not a dead line .
Old Jun 27, 2014, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
DO not do prepaid full tank at YYZ, gasoline is cheaper in US by 20%. Just top up before your return. YYZ does not gouge you at gas stations near the airport like MIA or MCO.

Canadian rental do not have US plate passes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.